Hardest Bosses in Final Fantasy VII

Setzer Gabbiani

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
Self explanatory, which of the main quest bosses were the hardest one for you to defeat and why?

Conditions:
- No optional bosses, just main quest bosses
- No power leveling, normal levels
- Received at least one game over to the boss

The hardest bosses that I fought in Final Fantasy VII are:

- Reno, Rude & Elena
- Lost Number
- Carry Armor
- Demon's Gate
- Schizo
- Safer Sephiroth

Those were the bosses that gave me the hardest time to defeat because of their high HP and powerful attacks. Some of them had status effect attacks that can be a threat to your party members, making it harder for you to defeat them.

Demon's Wall and Schizo were a pain for me too but Rapps in Wutai was a struggle sometimes too. Only having access to attack/limit and items was a pain especially if you didn't have a lot of attack items (and Rapps isn't weak to any of them anyway).

Truthfully, the only boss that ever gave me trouble was the 'Carry Armor'.
That laser attack straight rekt my party when I was underleveled.

I've gotta say Demon's Gate for me. I've continuously and stupidly went here without being a sufficient enough level to make it an easier battle. It was one of the most frustrating things i've experienced in FFVII in my first ever play through.

you forget the emerald and ruby
otherwise ff7 was quite easy compared to ff8, ff9 and ffx
the only thing to do is to go to forest and leveling up while getting yuffie there
as far as i can remember

I haven't struggled with this game in a long long time as I now play in a way where I have all the Limit Breaks besides level 4 before leaving Midgar and I don't feel satisfied unless I am powerful enough to learn Beta and kill the Midgar Zolom straight after leaving Midgar buuut...

I do remember having trouble with Materia Keeper way back in the day. I think that's the first part of the game where you really need to be sure you have 2nd level spells.

Demon's Gate felt so unreasonably difficult to me, especially because it comes immediately after another boss (Red Dragon) which seemed perfectly balanced to where I was leveled in the game at the time. It's nice that they at least have an HP restore/save point before it unlike some other bosses, but the difficulty bump between them is absolutely immense.

I also had a bit of trouble with the final confrontration with Rude, Elena, and Reno. Even with barrier cast and as many defensive buffs as possible, those physical attacks are absurdly powerful.

Reactions: Six
I remember in my very first run I knew nothing about power levelling and got some problems with the double headed dragon in the ascension of northern region and another one I got terrible problems with is that robot with two long arms in the final part that leads to the submarine
The two ending bosses were also some good challenges

as most friends, Demon Gate was first hard boss fight for me. cause i didn't know the usage of "ALL Materia" and my level was not enough.
Carry Armor was real pain. and that lost number. god!
and at the end. Tonnyberry was my most problem. i mean i defeated all those before. but never could kill a Tonnyberry

Lost Number, Demon's Gate, Bizarro and Safer Sephiroth all gave me a little trouble on my first playthrough.
Running the Pagoda in Wutai BEFORE the Temple of the Ancients is also kinda steep.

Back