George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire

Megalixir

Blue Mage
Gil
Hands down the best fantasy series ever,and yes I've read Robert Jordan and Tolkien,among many others.Any other fans here?

No I have not read it, but if your confident that he is a better litterary writer than Tolkien, then I'll trust your judgement. Sounds interesting. What is it about? I suppose I can look it up online, but I'm trying to keep the thread going. :)

Well,it's set in the Seven Kingdoms,where Summer can last years and the harsh Winter even longer.The story begins as Summer is coming to an end,thus the mantra "Winter is Coming."Intrigue,deception,wheels within wheels,rulers fighting for power,ancient magic,a growing and unknown threat from the far north from across the Wall,just to off the top of my head.There are only 4 books so far in the series,A Game of Thrones,A Clash of Kings,A Crown of Swords,and A Feast for Crows.Upcoming in the Spring(maybe)is A Dance with Dragons.If you're looking for mature high fantasy,look no further,my friend.Read the first one and I know you'll be hooked.Let me know!:)

It's great to meet another fan,Jaroh!I take it you've heard the HBO news?Excited?Who's your fav character?Mine's Tyrion.Can't wait til Dance of Dragons!

i absolutely love this series....the best stuff ive read in a while

especially a storm of swords

Yeah, this is a great series...anyone read the prequel stuff (takes place about 100 years prior to the series)? The Hedge Knight & The Sworn Sword? Aside from the short stories, they've both also been made into comics. Apparently there's going to be another called The Mystery Knight in an anthology to be released in 2009 (damn, we're not even gonna get THAT part of this series for a while...V_V)...

If he actually manages to finish the damned series, it'll probably take my top spot over Stephen King's Dark Tower epic...Personally, I'm not a big fan of LotR...The Hobbit, on the other hand, kicked some serious ass...

But anyways...I like the way that A Song of Ice & Fire shifts perspective through various characters in the books. So it makes you kind of close to each character, even the douchebags...or at least better understand them...and it makes the impact of certain deaths a bit more dramatic as well...made me always anticipate seeing my favorite characters names at the start of the next lil chapter...

My favorite character is definitely Arya Stark...I can't believe Martin left her how he did in A Feast For Crows!!! WTF!?!? That PLUS we're to be left on the edge of our seats for however long it takes to get back to her story...I've heard him say that A Dance with Dragons actually just takes place at the same time as A Feast For Crows only focusing on other characters...so we may not know Arya's fate until The Winds of Winter!!

Tyrion Lannister is also one of my favs. He's a great character...I can't believe the crap his family pulled on him though...that's one psycho family I'm glad not to be a part of. lol...though I also started to like Jaime Lannister more after
he lost his hand.

Brienne of Tarth became a quick fav of as well...I hope w/e it is she says at the end of A Feast for Crows is the miracle word she needs
to save her ass
...V_V

I also love Dunk & Egg from the prequel short stories that I mentioned...great characters. I love that they sort of mentioned Dunk in the White Book (I believe it's called)! I love little details in this series like that. Verra cool.

Last edited:
Not read the prequels but I look upon the entire series as the best work of fiction ever.

I love the series for it's outstanding story where Martin often turns it on it's head. He's not afraid to kill off the main characters/heroes which does keep you guessing.

Also the characters are generally fantastic as well with Jon Snow and Tyrion and Jaime Lannister as my favourites in the series so far.

Yeah a Dance of Dragons takes place at the same time as A Feast for Crows to show you what happened to the other characters (it was meant to be one book but was too big for that). Martin has said that he may continue some of the stories that were left in the last book so hopefully we'll find out what happened to Brienne even though I think she'll be fine.

I know this thread is ancient, but I figured it would be better to revive it rather than make a new one about the exact same subject :)

I love the series, and George R.R Martin is one of my favourite fantasy writers. I wouldn't call the series an unconditional masterpiece though. The first 3 books were fantastic, but the series took a series dive with A Feast For Crows. Don't get me wrong, it's still a decent enough book. It's just nowhere near the quality of the 3 first. Cersei as a PoW character was refreshing, but Brienne as a PoW character was utterly pointless. She spends all of her chapters chasing after something the reader already knows where is, taking all the suspense out of it. That Brienne seems to be the character with the most chapters only make matters worse. Another complaint is that Martin seems to have saved the most interesting, plot moving characters for A Dance With Dragons. I reckon this book would have been a lot more interesting if they'd given us Daenerys, Tyrion or Jon Snow instead of Brienne.

Last edited:
I really love the series, although I am only half way through A Clash of Kings.
My favorite characters have to be Bran and Arya Stark, as well as Jon Snow. I have found Daenerys and Tyrion highly entertaining though.

I just started to read his other big series that he co-writes with a dozen other writers called Wild Cards and it is pretty amazing too! It isn't the same fantasy kind of setting as this, its more scifi (super hero stuff mostly, but very down-to-earth), but it is still really good. Check it out since I know we're all stuck waiting for Dance with Dragons & the HBO show...V_V

Last edited:
I love the books, but as the years go by and his fifth novel still hasn't finished I find myself disliking Martin more and more.

Spring 2005 (when he turned in his Feast For Crows at the publisher) he said it'd take him a few months tops, because he was nearly finished. We're almost five years later and he still hasn't finished the god damn book.

Even though I really like the books, I wouldn't proclaim it the best Fantasy-serie though. I prefer Jordan and Erikson ;)

I saw it mentioned here, but I too, am absolutely thrilled about the adaption to the big screen. Although I'm afraid it'll turn out to be something like The Sword of Truth to appeal a broader public.

BUMPITY BUMP BUMP

I wanted to post a thread of my own on this series, but this is here so I will bring it back to life.

I started reading this series about a year ago and I enjoyed it more than I've enjoyed a book series in a long long while. I'm currently re-reading the series (I've just started Clash of Kings) in preparation for the premiere of the TV show next month. They've released a few trailers now that have gotten me all hot and bothered.

Also, Dance of Dragons finally has a publication date, which is super exciting.

Oh my god! Sean Bean! I'll watch anything with Sean Bean in. That guy is a legend, even if he does support Sheffield United. I've never read these books - they seem a bit too much out of fantasy canon for my liking, but I'll happily watch a TV programme with swords and magick and stuff in it. In terms of fantasy books though, I'm more a Robin Hobb kind of guy. Rumour has it she's a me kind of girl ...

I have just started reading this series of books because of the TV show that's just started up!!! Amazing so far!! I love Tryion Lannister the imp and Arya Stark!! They are amazing characters both in the books and in the show. I am not too far into the book yet though.

Only about 3 episodes into the series and I love it. How raw and carnal it is, I'm picking up the books sometime this week with my first paycheck.

I agree, among the best. Pern and Tolkien level, definitely. :P

I absolutely enjoy the books. After I watched the first episode, I had to buy the books. Arya and Dany have to be my favorite characters in the book. Arya is very funny and different, a relief. Dany, she is something special too.

I have loved Sean's acting since Lord of The Rings and after reading the book, Sean fits Eddard's part (too) perfectly. So far the best TV series ever and best Book series in a long time (Tops with the greats).

Tyrion...he's too cool for his own good. Quick tongued, funny...he has everything. Just goes to show how awesome small people are xD

I'm only halfway through "A Clash of Kings" and I'm deeply in love the series already! (I watched HBO's TV adaptation first to be honest.)

I think George R.R. Martin just created this vast world that he manages to suck us in to because of all the detail he puts into it and his characters. I'm actually finding it hard choosing a favourite character because they're all so intriguing and play such important parts. But, I think Daenerys, Tyrion, Arya, and Jon Snow are my top favourities.

By the way, a "Game of Thrones" exhibition is coming to Toronto starting next Friday here in Toronto. I've already reserved my tickets! George R.R. Martin is supposed to come in during one of the days to give a talk.

Welcome Maestro, welcome! I'm glad you like the story so much, its always good to see new fans get into the series! So, can't wait for season 2 then?

And I know exactly what you mean by his vast world and getting us attached to it all, its truly amazing.

Alright, you have an excellent list of favorite characters there! Though it makes me ask, if I may, what do you think about Eddard?

Do tell me when you finish A Clash of Kings, I would like to see what you think about it and the ending, and perhaps ask you some questions! :33

While I am thoroughly addicted to the books, I'd strongly recommend The Kingkiller Chronicle to any other fans. A Song of Ice and Fire is amazing, but I find Rothfuss to be a more competent fantasy author than Martin. Also try The Braided Path trilogy by Chris Wooding. Another stellar example of fresh fantasy writing.

At present I'm about halfway through A Dance with Dragons, and I'm finding the development of
Tyrion's and Daenerys'
characters to be far more interesting than anything in A Feast for Crows. The fact that
Prince Aegon
turned turned out to be still alive was a mind-blowing revelation for me, up there with
Catelyn's
return from the dead.

Back