First FF game with a major story?

Daenerys

The Last Dragon
Veteran
Gil
Ok if we think about it FFIV really was the first FF game which came complete with a great story.

FF1 - restore the 4 crystals - a less-than-steller-story
FF2 - defeat an evil empire - a tad cliche
FF3 - Same as FF1 if im not mistaken.

So really FFIV was the first FF game with a real storyline - complete with character backgrounds and stuff well IMO anyway :P

What do you think?

but wasnt ff4's storyline to collect crystals as well?
ff4 had the first most developed characters i suppose

IMO all of them had a story line but for me it wasn't till FF7 that it was truly mature storyline. It was the first game that i could remeber the story after beating it. Then agian its been a looooong time

IMO all of them had a story line but for me it wasn't till FF7 that it was truly mature storyline. It was the first game that i could remeber the story after beating it. Then agian its been a looooong time

FFVI?

I guess you could say it was. NES games weren't so much about the story but more about the game play.

FFIV was the first FF game to have a complex main character. A Dark Knight who did have a conscious. (Something new for video games of that time). And it was the first FF where the characters had their own personality.

IV is pretty much my perfect fantasy game.

Last edited:
Excuse me? FFIV being compared to FFI as far as plotline? If that's the case, then FFVII would be boiled down to "Chase down and kill bad guy" plot. FFIV, for its time was pretty revolutionary, gaming evolved from gathering items, moving from point a to point b and timing jumps to people actually seeing into characters' lives, seeing them with emotion. Things like plot twists and surprises came about that were never seen in other games. FFIV was a HUGE turning point for the series, to us, the North American audience, it also introduced different classes, the different jobs that people can undertake, now it wasn't until FFV then FFT FFX, FFXI then the release of FFIII for the DS that people could experiment with those jobs. FFIV is my favorite for that reason, it was so diverse for its time, it thought outside the box as it were. To me, FF7 went more to present a pretty picture and glorious cutscenes than to have a good storyline.

well considering the topic is about the first developed ff game then of course you have to compare it to earlier titles
ff7's storyline wasn't just kill bad guy.
It was also to do with clouds memories and who he really was.It was also about stopping meateor.
FF4's storyline was to collect the crystals and for most of the game you were forced to see that golbez was the main villain but then you find out that
hes cecils brother
then suddenly this zeromus person was another villain but you find that out near the end.
in ff1 the main villain is garland and we can tell that from the start.i havent played ff2 or 3 much so i cant comment on this.
ff6 was kefka and we pretty much know this near the start as well.
ff7 is sephy.

well considering the topic is about the first developed ff game then of course you have to compare it to earlier titles
ff7's storyline wasn't just kill bad guy.
It was also to do with clouds memories and who he really was.It was also about stopping meateor.
FF4's storyline was to collect the crystals and for most of the game you were forced to see that golbez was the main villain but then you find out that
hes cecils brother
then suddenly this zeromus person was another villain but you find that out near the end.
in ff1 the main villain is garland and we can tell that from the start.i havent played ff2 or 3 much so i cant comment on this.
ff6 was kefka and we pretty much know this near the start as well.
ff7 is sephy.

I notice how you didn't bring 8 into the mix or 9.... or 10.... or any other FF game for that matter. example, FF8 the bad guy was Edea, then it became Ultimecia... FF9 was Kuja, then something else, I didn't get to the end, only heard about it. FF10 was Sin, then basically the creator of Sin...

And don't forget, the ever present Jenova in FF7...

So, as you can see, lumping things into a overgeneralized conclusion doesn't get far...

Like I said before, AT THE TIME that it came out, it was pretty revolutionary cause before all you had was "go here and kill this stuff" sort of RPGs, build levels to a climax to face the end boss. I'm still trying to see anyone come up with a game that had a plot as deep and rich as FF4 before it came out. If there is such a game, then that would be the first one, if not then FF4 would be the first, simple as that.

In ff8 the bad person was edea but by the time you beat her the main part of the game hasnt kicked in
in ff9 the main guy was still kuja at the end but i admit necron was random
ff10 yu yevon was introduced at the start but of course you dont find out till later

Besides in my first post i didnt bring ff7 into the picture i was merly saying ff1 and ff4 was similar due to the crystal thing
I know what you are saying about ff4 being the most deep at the time but i never thought it was THAT deep.
we barely know of anyones past.
However ff4's characters was the first to have character personalities.
I thought ff 6 was the first 'proper' ff cause the game goes into more detail than ff4 and it didnt come out too long after ff4 on the snes so ff6 wasnt one of the 'newer' ff's

In ff8 the bad person was edea but by the time you beat her the main part of the game hasnt kicked in
in ff9 the main guy was still kuja at the end but i admit necron was random
ff10 yu yevon was introduced at the start but of course you dont find out till later

Besides in my first post i didnt bring ff7 into the picture i was merly saying ff1 and ff4 was similar due to the crystal thing
I know what you are saying about ff4 being the most deep at the time but i never thought it was THAT deep.
we barely know of anyones past.
However ff4's characters was the first to have character personalities.
I thought ff 6 was the first 'proper' ff cause the game goes into more detail than ff4 and it didnt come out too long after ff4 on the snes so ff6 wasnt one of the 'newer' ff's

the question is to define major story... granted three years can do a lot... FFVI isn't too high on my list as far as plot points go, cause once you get to the WoR and control Celes and find people, then the game pretty much stops story wise until you get to the end boss... All you get is filler points on back story. FFIV you were always advancing in plot for the most part.

But i don't think ff4 was all that deep and the storyline wasn't advanced enough
Filler backstories give more detail to characters past and the plce you are actually in
Okay 3 years can do alot but it still had the same effect as ff1+2 about the storyline not detailed enough
I personally would have liked to know more about kain rather than rydia or edge

though final iv did use the crystal idead AGEN, ithot this was an awesome game. my fav out of the 2ds. i reckon this would make a good remake.

Back