Final Fantasy X - The last 'Final Fantasy' ???

So what you're saying is that the battle system should never change?

I don't think the fighting system should have changed at all. It's the classic FF Fighting System, and if change it at least have the option of putting it back in the classic fighting format. I hate changes like this, but that's just me.

Sudden changes like this scare ppl like me.

Understandable, but to me it's a bore if they could put a way of resorting to old battles into it, maybe it would work. But it's not exactly a Final Fantasy battle system. Plenty of other games have a random battle feature, so I sometimes find it hard to see the problem.I get easily frustrated, and it just started to get frequently dull. Past systems rarely had anything to excite me gameplay wise. Before XII (mainstream FF's), X-2, VIII, V only had amazing battle systems to draw my attention away from some annoying random encounters - X-2 with the dresspheres, V - ability to mix and match skills, VIII - Junctioning system was awesome. I was hoping after X-2, for a change at last with random battles so I could experience fighting better and enjoy gameplay systems. XII gave me that, and I only hope FFXIII provides the same level of enjoyment.

Understandable, but to me it's a bore if they could put a way of resorting to old battles into it, maybe it would work. But it's not exactly a Final Fantasy battle system. Plenty of other games have a random battle feature, so I sometimes find it hard to see the problem.I get easily frustrated, and it just started to get frequently dull. Past systems rarely had anything to excite me gameplay wise. Before XII (mainstream FF's), X-2, VIII, V only had amazing battle systems to draw my attention away from some annoying random encounters - X-2 with the dresspheres, V - ability to mix and match skills, VIII - Junctioning system was awesome. I was hoping after X-2, for a change at last with random battles so I could experience fighting better and enjoy gameplay systems. XII gave me that, and I only hope FFXIII provides the same level of enjoyment.

I have to agree with Judge Rulia, the battle system in XII was very fresh and I welcomed it with open arms. I think it makes battles more enjoyable as a matter of fact. I'm sure that a majority of FF fans can agree that random battles did get tiresome, and tedius, after a while so I think this is healthy development. I actually think, though, that having it possible to freely run around did make the battles a bit easier, however, the battle system was quite addictive.

I think a big reason that XII feels different from the rest of the series is that many of the people who worked on earlier FF titles have left to do their own things (Nomura, Uematsu) which means many new people have been altering the core of Final Fantasy to meet their own vision.

The same thing happened 10 years ago when VII drastically changed the face of series and Amano stopped designing the characters. At that time many fans of FF1, FF2/4, and FF3/6 were unhappy with the way the series was moving and felt alienated by these new games, some even went so far as to claim these new iterations weren’t even final fantasies.

Today fans of FFVII-FFX are going through those same emotions that myself and many others did when "our" series changed. However in time many of us came to realize that change was not necessarily a bad thing, and soon most of us were able to accept these new Final Fantasies alongside our classics. Only time will tell if this next generation of Final Fantasies will be able to win over the fans of FFVII-FFX.
Well said.

Gameplay and looks-wise I think this is the best FF we've had in years, I gracefully accept the change and any others that XIII will have to give us an exciting and enjoyable game to play. I'm a fan of the PS-era FF's (and now the NES/SNES-era's) but I think there has been nothing truely lost (the battle system isn't radicly diffrent either, just real-time and not random), XII can stand proud along side them.

X-2 still sucked though, but I'm glad SE is slowly getting to grips with things.

10 was the last

i believe that final fantasy 10 was the last of the final fantasy's that drug me into its story. i really like final fantasy 12 a lot but i just never got really into the story. i mean there was nothing that really made me want to help them or really care about the situation. even my least favorite of the final fantasys final fantasy 8 i still was drawn into the story and really wanted to beat the game.

Everyone has an opinion, and no one can say any one opinion is wrong. 12 was the worst FF ever in my opinion, obviously some people disagree. My opinion has nothing to do with the battle system though, rather the total lack of story, or more like, the lack of follow through. You can see the great underlying story, it was just too few and too far between. Lack of character development prevented me from immersing myself in the game. It was an enjoyable game, that bore the name Final Fantasy.

FFX was last and... FFX-2 was the first. I think about it everyday. Since FFX-2 things were starting to get bad.
What FF needs is an adventure story, not action. Children at the age of 10 wouldn't be able to play FF anymore because it has too much violance.
FFXII game has a sign on it that says '16'. I have a little brother and he's 12. He loves Final Fantasy, when he found out that he can't play FFXII he was very disappointed. Poor lad.
Final Fantasy is supposed to be a fantasy. Something unreal. They always fought for a reason.
I see FF is maturing into a lean-mean-killing-machene...

I don´t think FFX is the last FF-game. I think FFIX is true last FF and PS2 era is a whole new era of FF-games, like FFI-IX is classic era and FFX-onwards is new era. I didn´t like that much about FFX.

What I liked in the game was well there is actually nothing that makes this game special in my book but I didn´t hate it either.

Story was good but I have seen so many times similar stories but better and I like more political plots and darker themes than FFX has to offer me. Only thing in story what was impressive to me was Sin. I mean that was threat I had not seen, and more interesting is people keep rebuilding even though Sin keeps destroyin their homes again. Otherwise I wasn´t appealed by story, I couldn´t care crap about Tidus and Yuna. Tidus was big crybaby, he is like spoiled brat who wants everything and can´t accept things the way they are.

Spira good because it had lot of history but I like more northern areas in RPGs than palm trees and beaches. FFXII had more fantasy feeling and I liked more the story in FFX because I like more political things.

Battle system was ok but it makes game way too easy. I want action and difficulty not one-screen dungeons, and bosses that are just normal enemies with more HP. Sphere Grid was nice but I like normal levels more.

FFX wasn´t disappoiment to me because I had no expectations to it. It was better than I thought but not good as it is made in this forum in my opinion.

XII... I just didn't wanna play it anymore, I don't know why. It doesn't have what I loved about the other final fantasy games, I love the random battle so much, I don't know where to begin. The way the music stops, there is a woosh of noise, the screen is spun out, cracked like glass, zoomed in (depending on game) and then the awesome, catchy, lovable battle theme starts to play, whether it's the ATB, CTB or the old school Final Fantasy 1-3 system, I love random battles.

XII took that away from me, and that is just upsetting, the other things that made it lose it's feel is also the music, it's all so mellow and forgettable to me, which is ok, but not for an FF game.

You just attack your foe and sit back while your chars all slash, shoot, use magic until the foe dies. What is this? Runescape!? Seriously...

Even though FF7,8 and 10 were lacking a lot of FF feel, it still gave off everything you'd want from an FF. Now, I'll be honest, I don't have any of the classic FF's except for 3, BUT, I have played alot of the other ones at friends houses, and I love them. 7 still felt like an awesome final fantasy, the random battles, the music, I loved it! THe summons, secret bosses. 10 gave off the Final Fantasy feel to me as well, except in a more, "Guy from the future enters an FF world, Tidus being taught about chocobos, airships etc.

My other gripe with 12 not having the feel of FF, is that it felt more like, Medievil Star Wars has crossed over with an Arabian-like world, with bazaars and what not, their accents really threw me off as well. It was a good game, but I just didn't want to play it.

Before I finish my post, I'd like to add, the reason I don't want to play FF12, is NOT because it doesn't have the FF feel, I ain't no whiny fanboy! I just get put off by the long dungeons and all the levelling up I lose when I die. What I'm trying to say, is I KNOW it was a good game, I just don't like it, but I CAN say it is a good game.

(If that last paragraph makes any sense at all...)

can you people actually pin point what this Final Fantasy feel is? all you need is those awesome deep moments with each character(like, you know...to really get to know them),moogles, and the old classic music. like seriously, the guy who has worked on the music, especially in ff6....is a god. THATS what i think FF is losing. Those classic musical scores

^ That could be it. It could be a lot of things.

I must say, though, that I was so relieved the random battle encounters were taken out. For me that made FFXII smoother, even if I didn't like the rest of the story.

Have you noticed how there is not much humor anymore in FF-games. In FFXII I laughed once, In X I don´t remember to laugh anything that is supposed to be funny, only time I laughed when they mentioned name "Keyakku".

Older FF had lot of secondary characters who were comic reliefs and made you laugh and there where lot of townspeople who also had funny things to say. In X and XII is all about " sin is so evil" "empire is so evil" .

Humor is good way to make add depth to characters.

I havent play X-2 but I know it is humoristic but it isnt´t main game.

X-2 is hilarious. It's so bad it makes me laugh. The last FF game i thought was great was IX, I liked X and XII but i feel they are pretty much done with. I was going to get a PS3 for XIII and the new metal gear solid but i can't see myself doing that as inow i'm not so keen on what i've seen so far for XIII.

I strongly disagree with the notion and strongly agree with the perfect 40/40 that was given to Final Fantasy XII. Declaring that he refuses to play anymore of the games after X sounds far too, shall we say, strange? They're still amazing games - who cares who's working behind them? Give them a chance - I'm sure Final Fantasy I has had countless improvements compared with that of X, the graphics being the obvious one. They've had ten chances to get to that masterpiece, whereas this person has only had one - yet he gets XII to be the fist FF with a perfect 40/40 score.

If you're gonny start talking about the "beauty" or "magic" of the Final Fantasies that was brought by the old producer ... then you need to get a grip and realise that it's a series of games under the same title and none of them are the same. It's like severing yourself from your nation because you have a new Prime Minister or President.

Back