Final Fantasy VII: Remake - Part 1 Dedicated to Midgar (Discussion)

Vivi-Gamer

Veteran
Gil
Vivi
Hi,

Amongst all the great content we saw within the show this E3, I'm still a little confused as to how the game is being presented.

Looking at this article it was what I thought I heard, the game will span 2-Discs and only cover the Midgar portion of the game - That said, they have indicated that they're going to expand upon this section heavily - Which is evident already in the trailer with new sections like Cloud & Jessie on the bike in the tube tunnels:

How does everyone feel about this? Me personally, I'm glad their not rushing the game, but I do have to thing about how long this is going to go on for? We were expecting it to be in 2 parts... I don't think that can be the case now. Will they be able to nail it even in 3 parts? My concern on this is also probably due to wanting S-E to focus on a NEW Final Fantasy as oppposed to a REMAKE. If this project is going to last a good 5-10 years (Which is very possible guys), Will a Final Fantasy XVI get a chance to breathe because of it?

It also means that I doubt we will see appearances from cast memebers in Part 1 at all - Cait Sith, Yuffie, Cid, Vincent etc. Which while I like the idea of characters appearing later in the adventures - Like Amarant in IX appearing near the end of Disc 2. I think I may get a little impatient in waiting for characters to appear in a second game in 2022?

The other main question in my head is regarding how this game is releasing during the generation jump. We're in the final years of the current console generation with this game releasing on PS4 next year, I can't see all Parts being release on PS4 before people have moved on - So what happens to Part 1? Is it going to me Re-released on PS5? I've gathered that the PS5 has backwards compatibility, but will there be a significant gap of quality from Part 1 on PS4 to Part 2 on PS5?

I'm just curious to what people think of the game being set in Midgar? Can you think of any situations that you want them to expand upon?

Last edited:
They said that the SE team considers this a "mainline entry" and not a "side project". With it being a full ground-up remake, I actually expect the final product is going to be astonishingly different from the original game. I feel like it will follow the same basic storyline, but with major additions, expansions and so forth. We already see massive changes to the scenes we know and remember. Aerith being attacked by the random Sephi-ghosts. Cloud having that alley scene with the shadow of Sephiroth. The bike scenes in the tunnels.

I can't say for certain if this is the right way to go. Perhaps their intent is to highlight just how massive Midgar truly is by making it so large and then Part 2 will give us our world-spanning with much smaller hub towns. Perhaps Part 2 will give us just area jumps to the various towns but I certainly hope not. I would love to see a massive FFXV style rendition of the continents of FFVII but that may be wishful thinking.

I'm taking an optomistic approach. The remake sure doesn't look like a purist's take on the original game. But it looks damned good, so for me I'm gonna enjoy it for what it is.

Oh yes, I fully understand that S-E is treating this as priority, I mean look at it! :spaz:

But I still can't help but feel I want more, which I know is greedy. I look at Capcom, who juggled both Resident Evil VII & the Resident Evil 2 REMAKE together and kind of expect the same thing. I like Remakes, but they're not pushing the series forward like a true new sequel would so while I am pumped for the Final Fantasy VII Remake like everyone else, I can't help but see it as an indulgence.

One thing I would like to highlight is just how progressive the combat looks, it looks far more compelling than XV's combat already. I love how each character has their own combat style and advantages - Like Barret focusing no long distance targets! The experience here could quite easily form the foundation for Final Fantasy XVI's combat system, so it's certainly not like it's a complete stagnant indulgence.

But as I mentioned before... this looks like it could be quite a time consuming project S-E are really pushing the boat out for this and I appreciate that - I really do! But still... I am eager for the next entry in the series, which this is not. S-E has many different business divisions, I can't remember the run down, but I hope in time that they're working on Final Fantasy XVI along with this Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - If they aren't already 👀

2 blu ray disks just for Midgar it means a lot of additions to the story, also the graphics are way heavier now with 4k

Back on the PS1 version they had limitations so they maybe had to skip some points of the story that they will now be able to fully develop

So yes it looks like it will be in multiple parts meaning we will have to wait to complete the full game but I believe the final result will be the most giant video game ever made. As the first FF7 became a legend and still is, the FF7R will put his name on history

Sure some people won't like this or that thing in the game, as it's a very emblematic one, each pixel and each word will be shelled by fans but I think that all will be very happy with this game that looks like a future bomb :)

My question is how many hours of gameplay are we going to have in each of these discs of Midgar? 30-40? Also their wern't too many sidequests to do in the Midgar portion of the game, so it I am expecting it to be kinda linear somewhat.

Well Square Enix mention at E3 Press Conference that the first part will be a 2 Blu-Ray disc, so that means that you will be spending a lot of hours playing the game. We saw in the trailer the revelation of a few bosses such as Scorpion Sentinel, Aps and the Air Buster. That should tell you how many hours of gameplay you will be getting on each disk. Midgar is a huge place so I doubt that each disk will be less than 30 hours of gameplay. In the Scorpion boss fight you can see that it took approximately 20 minutes to defeat it, meaning that most of your time will be consume by the bosses.

Each boss will take longer to defeat as you progress into the game. This is just my speculation.

On the one hand, I really love Midgar… I’m excited to see what they could do with the distinct corporate dystopian themes. I hope we see more boardroom meetings in the Shinra HQ. I hope we get to spend time considering what life is like as a citizen of Midgar (both below the plate, in the dark slums, and on the plate). Both above and below, we have citizens still ultimately controlled by a single company which has a monopoly on the most effective (and destructive) energy source on the planet. When Shinra drops the plate, I want us to really feel it. Moreso than in the original game (which was incredible enough), I want us to really think about the victims which were squashed, and also the victims which fell from the top.

There's also plenty that they can do with the shady underworld of the city (including figures like Don Corneo).

And then of course there is the terrorism angle. Years ago many people had speculated that they would underplay the terrorism angle in a post-9/11 world. They haven't. The 'Are we the baddies?' type moment in the concert trailer means something. AVALANCHE knows it is doing dirty work, good cause or no, and this is what haunts people like Barret for much of the game which follows. More of that please!

On the other hand... I am worried that the rest of the game will feel squashed considerably. I’d hate for us to have such an amazing experience playing Midgar in 'part one', only to find ourselves hopping from town to town in a matter of hours for the rest of the game (in parts two to ninety-nine....). Dealing only with Midgar means that there is A LOT of the game left. I shall imagine that they can't expand all moments from the game like they have with Midgar. Unless they release a new FFVII game every year (like Ubisoft did with Assassin's Creed for many years), I can't see us seeing very much of the game for nearly a decade.

As for absent party members in part one, there could be allusions to the other characters as Easter eggs. Maybe they could still show us Cid if they have photographs or video footage of him in the rocket exhibition in the Shinra HQ, for example. Vincent is likely on Hojo’s radar, so maybe we can read about him in Hojo's lab or elsewhere in Shinra HQ. Likewise, Cait Sith (or Reeve) will at least be in Midgar, so it could be possible to bump into him. Likely not as a party member though. If we do see Cait Sith, it'll likely be not as we remember him. He'll probably be more firmly rooted in the Shinra company (and wanting to do right by the citizens of Midgar) and will not be an enthusiastic ally to the AVALANCHE terrorists at this stage in the game.

Back