Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered - Let's Talk About It!

Vivi-Gamer

Veteran
Gil
Vivi
Thought we should have a thread for the upcoming release of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered!:
So we have a release date of January 23rd 2020! (Which is perfect for me as it is just before the Yakuza Remastered Collection release!) For PS4, Switch & Mobiles (interestingly no news of an Xbox or PC version...)

Who's going to get it? I certainly am, though I am really hoping for a physical Edition... Which is really up in the air right now as Remasters of The last Remnant & Star Ocean 4K were digital only. if this goes digital for £19.99 or more I might have to wait but if its on disc it's a Day One Purchase! I have seen that there a Japanese Physical Editions of the game, which means it could be playable in English - The Japanese physical release of Chocobo Dungeon on PS4 recently would instantly convert the game into English when placed in a European/American PS4, SO HERE'S HOPING!

I've never owned a Nintendo Gamecube & have never played this game in my life. But looking at it, I can see the tremendous potential of pushing this game in an Online Gaming era! gathering a party of 4 players would be tricky to arrange in person but online I can see this being very appealing. I also think this could be a really fun weekly even we could arrange on the forum!

This game was incredible fun on multiplayer so fingers crossed the online is good! Like you said, it could be perfect!

I'd like a disc version, but we haven't had a physical release of any other than 10 and 12 (both of which had some pretty huge changes though from our UK releases). I mean, if 7's remaster didn't go physical, I can't see them doing it for a game that not many people probably remember or knew about in the first place.

I'm thinking of going for PS4, either way. Unless everyone around here goes for Switch :D.

The first part of next year is looking really expensive for me! I'm not sure if I'll get this right away or not (maybe if there are any pre-order bonuses?) but I think if & when I do get this I might look at getting it for the Switch. Honestly I didn't know how I felt about the Switch but lately I've really been digging it.

I've never owned a Nintendo Gamecube & have never played this game in my life.
Whaaaat! Gamecube was one of my favorite consoles growing up! 😧

Anyway, looking forward to the multiplayer on this as well! Exciting stuff!

I never really paid attention to it back in the day. I was an avid PS2 fanboy, and that's where the core Final Fantasy experience was found back then. Crystal Chronicles came at this weird time when Square had lost all that money on the movie, so the leadership shifted from the creatives being in charge to business guys being in charge who were tasked with finding new ways to make money. The result was the merger with Enix, the attempt to make Final Fantasy more pop-culture-y with FFX-2, and just generally a lot of mediocre side projects that lacked inspiration.

Crystal Chronicles was an early part of all that. It was Square basically saying, "Okay, we can't be tied down to Sony if we want diversified sources of profit. So let's get around our exclusivity agreements with Sony by using a spinoff studio with our B-team who can make stuff for Nintendo consoles." CC only ever got good (but not great) reviews, and even today its Metacritic score of 80 is the highest the series ever got. Honestly, Square's just seems to be going through a phase right now where it's realizing that sinking millions of dollars into making another mediocre Final Fantasy title doesn't pay as well as dumping out rereleases and remasters of all their old content, regardless of the quality of the original. Which I'm not complaining about. I personally love the fact that I can play Romancing SaGa 2 in English as of a couple years ago, even if it does have a crappy mobile interface. (I say all this even as I'm eagerly chomping at the bit for the 77-Metacritic Chocobo's Dungeon re-release, too; but I love me my roguelikes.)

But then again, I still haven't played CC. The ISO just sits there on my external hard drive, waiting for me to get enough people together to play it couch co-op on my Wii. The consensus back in 2003 was that playing single player wasn't really worth it. I mean, it's nice that they're implementing online in the remaster, but I hope they keep the couch co-op option available; gaming online just isn't the same.

I've never owned a Nintendo Gamecube...
Yes, to quote Reggie Fils-Aimé, "What's wrong with you?" (Just kidding. I didn't have a Cube, either.) IMO, GameCube was the highest-quality experience of that gen of consoles and one of the most memorable consoles Nintendo has ever made. Even Nintendo's lackluster franchises like Wario Land had an excellent showing on the system. The only trouble playing truly authentic retro on it is those $300 component cables for progressive-scan displays. I highly recommend getting a backwards-compatible Wii and digging into the GameCube library with the Wii's $15 component cables. You won't regret it. Well, assuming you play something other than the EA-published Harry Potter games for the system, that is.

Big news today, it's back on track!
Trailer:
Reading more into it it seems that the Western release might not be physical:scaryface:
In Japan, the PlayStation 4 and Switch versions will be available both physically and digitally.
If so, this is something I will go out of my way to import...

I prefer to own a game case etc. But something is better than nothing, I suppose. :sad2:

This would be my first time playing this sub-franchise. I've researched aspects from the games before for some of my Mythology Manual entries and other themed articles, but I've never played it myself.

The multiplayer aspects interest me. I do hope FFF members can link up and play together!

Any further news of the Japanese physical Edition having English? - I can't find anything on it.

Found a decent place to buy it:

A few months later lol. A few of us will be nabbing the game to play online :). Hopefully this could become an FFF thing!

I can't believe it'll be released soon. That time came fast! I'll have to keep an eye on people like yourself and we can definitely do that and make it an FFF thing!

It looks like there is a chance that this game will be region-locked. :sad2:

In online multiplayer mode, a player will only be matched with others in the region specific to player’s software.

Hopefully people are misinterpreting this official description, but that doesn't look promising for our FFF plans.
I guess those of us in the UK and Ireland and other places in Europe could still match up, but it will exclude NA region players.

Really, sounds like they're really botching this up badly... I play many games online with my friend from the USA - they have a bad internet connection but I can't recall of any game on the PS4 that is region locked in regards to playing a game online.

I've made a thread on GameFaqs, keeping track of the news on if the Physical Edition is translated into English like the Chocobo Mystery Dungeon game.

But isn't there a difference between matchmaking and choosing who you play with? Even if the above is correct, I'm hoping only playing with strangers will be region locked.

But isn't there a difference between matchmaking and choosing who you play with? Even if the above is correct, I'm hoping only playing with strangers will be region locked.

I hope so...

I don't think communication on this point has been grand, and I'm mostly repeating the concerns of people interpreting the product listing. I hope you're right in that playing with friends could allow you to play outside of your region, but the random matchmaking feature might be region-locked. That would be okay (and even desirable, due to connection considerations).

People posted this in the Discord earlier.

This seems to be relying on the same information available to all in the product description, but this is their interpretation.

For those looking to play Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Remastered with friends internationally, you will need to make sure you all have the same region-specific software in order to access the same multiplayer servers. If you don’t, you will be locked out of playing with one another.

I hope that is wrong, but I guess if there isn't going to be a direct clarification about the interpretation of this soon then the only thing people can do it try for themselves when the game is released.

It'll mean a delay in some people getting it though as some people aren't as keen on getting the game now if they can't play with their international friends.

Reviews are coming in and it looks like there are problems:
This remaster’s worst offense is that co-op play is relegated to online only.
This is a big upset for me, while I know we're all meant to be isolating due to the pandemic. I was hoping to play this with my friend once things settled down couch co-op.

If you join someone else's game, you don't make any progress in your own.
This just seems incredibly outdated, especially considering ti is an online only title. Pretty much all online games have your account & stats to make progress. This is something they should have put effort into updating.

On top of being boring and mostly useless, the crossroads scenes are bookended by some pretty ridiculous loading screens. I'm playing on my PS4 Slim, and it takes around 15 to 20 seconds both coming and going. I've loaded into cutscenes that last roughly the same length as the loading time, immediately followed by another 15 to 20 seconds of loading. Look, I'm more than willing to look past loading times when they, you know, load something good or worthwhile. But this is preposterous. More than once, I'd complete a dungeon, load, move my caravan one space on the world map (roughly two seconds of movement), only to hit a random crossroads scene... and jump back into the loading screen. In other words, that’s 15 to 20 seconds of loading, two seconds of movement, 15 to 20 seconds of loading, 10 to 60 seconds of pointless cutscenes, followed by another 15 to 20 seconds of loading.
Yikes, this is pretty bad for near 20year old game. I thought the HD Remaster of FFX was bad enough on PS3 - Luckily the PS4 version fixed the loading times :)

If your memories of the original involve hanging out with a group of friends, conquering dungeons while using your Game Boy Advance as a controller, you can sort-of replicate it by installing the "Lite" version of this remaster. It’s basically a free trial version that allows you to join other people's games and dungeon crawl with them at any point (provided they own the full copy, that is)
So, does this mean if one person buys the game the rest of us can get the Lite version and join their game? :P I'm sort of seeing no incentive to making the purchase now :P Just looking on the PS Store the Lite version allows you to play there first 3 dungeons, but if a person in the party owns teh game everyone e lse will be able to play the Full Game!.

Last edited:
Reviews are coming in and it looks like there are problems:

This is a big upset for me, while I know we're all meant to be isolating due to the pandemic. I was hoping to play this with my friend once things settled down couch co-op.

This just seems incredibly outdated, especially considering ti is an online only title. Pretty much all online games have your account & stats to make progress. This is something they should have put effort into updating.

Yikes, this is pretty bad for near 20year old game. I thought the HD Remaster of FFX was bad enough on PS3 - Luckily the PS4 version fixed the loading times :)

So, does this mean if one person buys the game the rest of us can get the Lite version and join their game? :P I'm sort of seeing no incentive to making the purchase now :P Just looking on the PS Store the Lite version allows you to play there first 3 dungeons, but if a person in the party owns teh game everyone e lse will be able to play the Full Game!.

I really hope that isn't true!

If you don't make progress in your own game when you join someone else's then doesn t that beat the purpose of collaborative team play?

But if I don't need to buy the game to play it and instead download the Lite version then that is one bonus at least.

Oof!

This was posted in our Discord earlier and seems to suggest that what has been reported earlier is true. This is most unfortunate.

So multiplayer progress doesn’t save. You can only play levels which you have already unlocked in single player and most of the unique multiplayer features from the original have been dropped so that people no longer need to communicate to solve problems.

:sad2:

With this being the only Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles:Remastered thread on here, I hope it's safe to ask here: I've noticed on screen overlay, switch, that there are 6 little green dots, one of which is blinking(I'm assuming that the blinking one represents me?) What are they exactly? If this is NOT the right spot for my curiosity, I do apologize.

With this being the only Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles:Remastered thread on here, I hope it's safe to ask here: I've noticed on screen overlay, switch, that there are 6 little green dots, one of which is blinking(I'm assuming that the blinking one represents me?) What are they exactly? If this is NOT the right spot for my curiosity, I do apologize.

It's safe to ask. :)

You could have created a new thread in this section if you'd preferred but it doesn't matter.

I don't own this myself but I asked in our Discord server on your behalf. Apparently the six green dots are the command list. I presume that the blinking one represents the command which you are using / highlighting currently.

Back