FFXIV to have monthly subs model, says Tanaka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Lesbian

Banned
Veteran
Gil
51wnyd.jpg

Final Fantasy XIV will have a monthly subscription model when it releases next year. That’s according to producer for the MMO, Hiromichi Tanaka, who was speaking to VG247 at GamesCom.

“It’s going to be 30 days-based subscription,” said Tanaka.
The game is due in 2010 for PS3 and PC, but don’t quite rule out a 360 version yet. Tanaka-san revealed that talks with Microsoft are held up for the game because of the policy of Xbox Live.

If it does come, it wont be at launch as the PS3 will have it as a console exclusive during the “launch timing”, something SCEA president Jack Tretton forgot to mention during the announcement for the game at E3.

Source: VG247

Wait does this mean we will have to pay to play Final Fantasy XIV? If so that sucks pretty bad because ps3 has free online. Or is this just free monthly subs? Im a little bit confused :gasp:

It probably means, you're paying £40 for the game then being forced to pay £11/£12 or w/e every month to play it.

/strikes off to-get list

I prefer monthly subscriptions to anything else really. Games that are free to play usually are rather poorly supported, and micro-transactions just goes against what I think an MMO should be about. I'd rather play for my gear than pay for it.

/strikes off to-get list

x2.

I'll keep an eye out on it, but I doubt I'd realisitically have the time to play it 24 hours a day hence getting my moneys worth of the game. If I could just play it after buying it then I would definately get it... But paying every month is just going to waste a lot of my money for something I wouldn't play all the time.

Was a "free trial version" ever mentioned?

I never paid for a MMO before, but I may make an exception if the game worths it.
Which I doubt as FFXI surely didn't.

No, that I would imagine they will have a "free trial" version, although with the PS3 they may just have a free multiplayer demo like what they've done with previous games in the past...I don't really know how MMORPG's work with this sort of stuff D;

I would agree with paying for an mmo becuase they use that money to update the game and make it better. It is not just used for profit yes maybe ffxi was not worth paying for. But there was this option if it is like ffxi, you do not pay for it when you are busy with other commitments e.g. studying would be one but instead pay for it when you have your free time if any such as holidays and so forth. (i did that for ffxi and thats how i got my moneys worth). MMOs are going to have subscription fees because it takes alot of money to just simply run it alone. If it makes sence you keeping the final fantasy series alive by paying for it. FFXi was not profitable until 2004-2005 so for them first two years they didn't even make a profit.

x2.

I'll keep an eye out on it, but I doubt I'd realisitically have the time to play it 24 hours a day hence getting my moneys worth of the game. If I could just play it after buying it then I would definately get it... But paying every month is just going to waste a lot of my money for something I wouldn't play all the time.

I agree with you Dan, I mean I am currently invested in WoW right now so that is one thing that would stop me from adding another monthly bill. But then again once Star Wars:The Old Republic comes out I will probaly want that and that is going to have a monthly subscription also so....who knows? I guess I will have to wait and see what my situation is when these games come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back