FFVIII - Worth Getting?

Aztec Triogal

3-7-77
Veteran
Gil
Since this topic crops up so much, I figured I'd make a topic and sticky it.

Is this game worth getting? Please post your replies so that people who cannot decide can read this to make their decisions.

Of course #8 is worth getting. I find the Junction system to be quite easy to understand and comprehend. The GF system (GF=Guardian Force) is done oh so nicely. I love the weapon upgrades and the Character Development.

I personally find Rinoa to be annoying but it added something to the game. It's one of my favorite FF games out there to date.

The story is pretty detailed but not too complicated in the least. It's a must have.

No. No. and NO. FFVIII is a horrible game. Hideously overhyped by many who claim it to be "The greatest Final fantasy game"

It really, really isn't.

I think its a horrible game, clunky controls, terrible battle system. crappy characters.

My advice is stay far FAR away from this FF game :]

Clunky controls? How in the hell do you get clunky controls when they are the same from VII-X. -____-!

Terrible battle system? What was so different from FFVII, besides the fact you had extra abilites, such as: Recover, Revive, LV Up, and etc...

The characters were done quite nicely. I think they did rather well on them, IMO.

The Battle system is hard to get used too and the character backgrounds are shit. The Story gets boring after a while.

Not Worth it, at all.

This was my favorite FF game, and frankly thought it was a lot more fun that FFVII.

I really liked the Junction system, whereas I thought materia was so clunky. With Junctioned magic, even inexperienced players could easily use one of the auto-junction features, but more advanced players can customize the system for their own use.

The setting of the world is much more modern, with hardly a shadow of traditional fantasy elements until the ending, which can be a pro or a con depending.

The characters can be likable or unlikable, depending on how you take them. I thought Rinoa could be annoying at times, but she also had some good points. Irvine just bugged, but I don't really like womanizer-type characters in any media form.

It really depends - seems like this is one of the ones you've gotta love or hate.

The Battle system is hard to get used too and the character backgrounds are shit. The Story gets boring after a while.

Not Worth it, at all.

I wonder how many people think that XII's character backgounds are shit, but still end up playing the game.

The battle system is not hard at all to get used too. It's like any other FF game. You just have to warm up to it.

No. No. and NO. FFVIII is a horrible game. Hideously overhyped by many who claim it to be "The greatest Final fantasy game"

:O:O *thwacks AG*
NO! it IS the Greatest FF game. It had great characters and a great storyline. the graphics and Junction system were awesome :D It is DEFINITELY WORTH IT!

Yes, as stated above, XII's backstories were horrendous as to VIII's character backstories were actually done nicely and at least they tried to give them stories of their own.

I fail to see how each character in VIII had their own individual backstory - lets review shall we.

Squall - Grew up in an orphanage. Joined SEED. lost his memories through GF use.
Selphie - as a above
Zell - as above. was adopted.
Seifer - as above. turned emo and evil.
Irvine - as above
Quistis - as above. loves squall.
Rinoa - Created Rebel group to piss off daddy. is a sorceress.

So i definatly think that VIII is NOT worth it if you want a game that develops characters.

People either seem to love or hate this game, so I would recommend renting/borrowing it first, if you even can.

I personally liked this game. I did like the junctioning system. If you like RPG's that have a straightforeward battle and stat system, then don't get this game.

I'm honestly surprised at how many people don't get major plot points in this game.

I fail to see how each character in VIII had their own individual backstory - lets review shall we.

Squall - Grew up in an orphanage. Joined SEED. lost his memories through GF use.
Selphie - as a above
Irvine - as above

So i definatly think that VIII is NOT worth it if you want a game that develops characters.

Alright this isn't really the place for this but the orphanage plot actually drives the entire story of the game. I'll try to do this with out spoiling anything.

Characters:

Squall- Raised in the orphanage, was very attached to Ellone and felt very lonely when she left. Grew up to be very cold. Used GF's.

Selphie- Raised in the orphanage, attended Trebia Garden, always dreamed of being in her own band. Used GFs.

Zell- Raised in the orphanage, was adopted. Studied martial arts, used GF's.

Seifer- Raised in the orphanage, was too proud and arrogant to use the GF's [VERY IMPORTANT TO HIS PLOT AND CHARACTER AND RELATIONSHIP WITH EDEA]

Quistis- raised in the orphanage, became a teacher at a young age but resigned because she didn't feel she was good enough. Used GF's so she doesn't understand her feelings for Squall (which isn't love like she thought).

Irvine- Raised in the orphanage, Attended a garden where GF's were not used. [VERY IMPORTANT FOR HIS CHARACTER ESPECIALLY FOR HIS DECISION AT THE END OF DISK 1]

Rinoa- Daughter to the general, started her own rebel group to save her town but was a bit inexperienced. Was very wealthy Inherited sorcesses powers.

A back story does not necessarily make a character developed or not. It's how they change through the story and how they react to situations that are given to them. Considering the plot with Edea, it actually makes a lot of sense that these characters would be raised in the same place.

Last edited:

Selphie - as a above
Irvine - as above

I can see how it can be said that FFVIII was "unoriginal" by giving most of the characters the same backstory, but I think it gives the characters a greater reason to stick together.

Example: I loved FFVI and one of my favorite characters (don't ask me why) was Gau. But he joins you because you feed him beef jerky. That's just dumb. (Still love the game, and the characters though)

The fact that they were all children together, but can't remember it much except for Irvine enhances one of the major elements of the game: time. It creates and blurs distinctions between past, present, and future, which is of course reiterated in the idea of time compression.

I liked the backstories because they actually meant something in the major scheme of the plot - something that's less likely to happen with characters randomly meeting on the gameplay field.

I liked this game a lot and IMO it is worth getting.
Some of the characters were cool(Selphie, Squall, Zell, Quisty) and some were bad(Irvine, Cid, sometimes Rinoa is a bit annoying but she's not so bad) and I like the plot and the story. And the fact that the characters have almost the same background is quite interesting( for me at least). Like someone stated; is a reason for them to stick together. And I like the ideea of those flying Gardens and of course the Gunblades:inlove:.

the things i liked about VIII were that you can do extra things during attacks, like power up a GF attack whislt the cinematic plays, and that you can use R1 to fire the gunblade when it hits, i loved them elements to the battle system.

AND you are all forgetting the best airship ever, the Ragnarok

It's worth getting, I can't say that I adored this game to the death though.

+ The graphics, one of the main reasons that contribute to why this game is worth getting. Graphically, it's the best Final Fantasy on the PlayStation (IMO, though many might agree).

+ Storyline. Despite the infusion of tons of romance into the plot, if you strip all that away, the story is actually quite awesome and epic.

+ Again, if you love romance, you might fall in love with this game. :P

+ Summons, they're great, and the graphics just boost up the score when it comes to this.

- Characters. As probably explained above, the backgrounds weren't all that great, in my opinion.

- If you don't like romance in any way, you would get annoyed by a lot of the scenes. Then again, it's all up to you, but I recommend getting this game anyway.

Someone criticised the backstories of XII and character development? I fail to see how VIII's main cast had superior history and development.

Apart from that, and the ever so annoying Rinoa, this game had an interesting battle system, brilliant summons which could be used for very good abilities, and not just summoning alone.

The story is good, though part of me still dislikes the thought of training little children up to actually take part in wars...

There's more things to enjoy in this game, sidequest wise, then there was in VII. At least the sidequests kept me entertained longer.

Never liked the whole SquallxRinoa romance though. Yucky yuck.

Any Final Fantasy IMO is worth getting.

Now VIII is my all time fav RPG and Final Fantasy because it was the one I first played and I loved everything about it. Somepeople see the characters as 2D personalites and not appealing in the slighest. I liked the characters as I could relate to the lead character Squall at the time and I knew people with the same personalites as other characters.

The story is not as "exciting" as some people wanted, but it hooked me and yes could be seen as preditable and not as shocking as other games, but it was a nice storyline with romance and action throw into it.

The music and FMVs are the best out there IMO and the FMVs were good for its tme of release, back in 1999 for the PS1. The music sets the scenes perfectly and you end up humming along. Well, I did!

Also the GFs and battle system. The GFs I adored as it was great bonding them to a character. The Draw system did annoy many people, but you do benefit from it cause you get stronger magic and hidden GFs. Plus as you progress the enemies progess, which is a great and challenging system.

IMO this is the best of the best.

A investment into this game would be a wise one indeed. Graphics are the best of the PS series, junction system unique and a good idea gave a nice way to customize your characters. As for characters yea they were nice and i could easily connect with Squall at the time, all being from the orphange was a slight drap but not major disapointment. Story line in genral was a good one as well and as far as music well it was just great as far as i'm concerned.

Although I have to say this game is worth getting, it is easily my least favorite in the series. Unlike other games, it's not that there was a lack of character or plot development, the story itself was just poor. I found it uninteresting and very depressing. The game itself is broken down into chapters, each one essentially the same with a new main villain.

The game is not good but some people do deserve it. There are so many things wrong with the gameplay that I find it practically unplayable... even so it's a Final Fantasy game and some people really do love it. If your a hardcore FF fan, definitely pick it up. If your emo, goth, or "special" in a mental sort of way... pick it up then too.

Back