Mog's Tent
Tifa Lockhart
FFXIV
Aerian Elcarus
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
Gaia
So would have thought for sure that FFVII would have been built with FFXV's game engine and yet it turns out it isn't

https://www.unrealengine.com/news/final-fantasy-vii-remake-built-with-ue4

They went for an industry standard middle ware, I don't for a second doubt the power of Unreal played with it myself in the past a system that lacks power prevents me from furthering those experiments but still the fact they use the same engine as the Batman games is quite a strange decision.

XV from memory uses the in house Luminous Engine which was their Direct 11 and next gen engine, would have thought they'd have used that or perhaps the under wraps Shinra Engine (Though I believe that is more for VR development -- When I actually checked turns out it's some kind of Cloud Based Gaming system go figure). Oddly I'm more intrigued by the decision to go out of house for the remake and well it's 3am and I'm incoherently rambling so I'm going to shut up now!

At the moment, Luminous is the FFXV engine, at least until both are completed. They have had to essentially merge the Luminous engineering team with that of the FFXV term to develop both at the same time, so there's no other expertise around to have extensive, intimate knowledge of how it properly works, and nor is there a finished and fully documented engine to work with. I imagine once FFXV is done and the expertise can file out of Tabata's office will Square's management deem it safe to greenlight its use for another project, e.g. FFXVI.

So it's why everyone else (FFVII Remake, Kingdom Hearts III and Dragon Quest XI) is using Unreal Engine 4. It's currently the best middleware engine with excellent Japanese support and documentation, so it has become a standard. I am all for this, because it would mean they can actually make a game in relatively good time now, without all the headaches and stunted progress rates of dealing with a cumbersome proprietary engine.

Back