FFI - Worth Getting?

I might as well ask this right here.

I've borrowed my little cousin's PSP for the sake of playing a few FF titles and this is one of them. I'm up to the part where I have to look for Tiamat and restore power to the Wind Crystal but I've lost the will to continue, based on how blatantly bad this game actually is. Is it worth going ahead with the game? Does Garland make another appearance and rightfully make himself the baddie in FF1?

...or have I been wasting time?

Yes he DOES make another appearance and you have to go back in time t go kick his arse, can't remember all that much but I htink he is Chaos
or some shit. I really didn't like it all that much myself, and to add insult to injury,
becaus you go beat him in the past, the present is all like nice and unchanged and no one knows the perils you wen through to make them all safe again,
so your none speaking shithole of a party skips off into the wind & well, that's about it....

...if your out like me though, you will carry it on anyway because Im just a persistent fool and refused to let it beat me....

Yes it is worth getting. When I first played it I didn't like it but when I got further it got good.

Seeing as how this is the first game that launched and made Square's success, I would recommend it. It is a great game, story, etcetera. I loved every minute of this classic. :funnyface:

Lets try to avoid short posts guys, you're not really putting up a convincing argument for this game :monster:

With the release of the PSP version of the game that started it all I really think there is no excuse for not having this classic in your collection. I really have no arguments for the lack of super HD graphics, however this is one of the few games for which this issue is moot. It's a simple game, challenging enough at times to keep even the most experienced RPG fan busy but simple enough to delight new arrivals. Inevitably this game gave way to perhaps the most famous and popular RPG franchise the world has seen so just for that I think it's worth at least getting second-hand, I won't say anything else except, enjoy!!!

Absolutely. This game is, I think, a necessary play for all Final Fantasy fans: Return to your roots and see Square's last ditch effort that saved a company and maybe helped cement the genre. I do agree though that it takes some getting used to, especially if you play the NES version. My advice: Take some time off video games, a month or so would be ideal, and then go back and play this and only this. If you ever plan on playing II or III (and I do recommend III), and not playing the DS version of III, play them directly after you play I. This cuts down on too much shock from graphic and story limitations. If you can get past those though the gameplay is great

D4D

i have been hunting for the PS1 version for awhile, i really wanted to play FFI i had the Nes version i got to the good ol Marsh cave and died 500 times like everyone in those days, then i got more and more games never really went back to it once i got my SNES and got FF2 err IV but it IS a fun game, i have been nothing Npc's giving my clues of quests and what and were to go, and yes like alot said its kinda bland but its fun to level buy new gear and spells in every town, i just wish the thief was better im at Lv 17 now 14 hours into, about to take on Fire boss.

Buy it i got mine sealed at a local game store last week for 25$ not bad price

I'd say it's worth getting, I dunno about the original version but the PSP version is good in my opinion, the graphics are amazing considering they're sprites, the storyline isn't that good considering it is a sprite game, therefore, it takes a lot away in terms of emotion, though if it had 3D graphics and voice acting it wouldn't be the case. The battle system is good since it sums up FF and the games a challenge. So yeah, I'd say it's worth getting. :monster:

FF1 is a great game to get, it shows the beginning of a legacy and its pretty cool even today well at least for me it is

Oh no Mr. good officer don't go in there thats where the robber is...."Clunk" works everytime.

worth getting, i would say yes. there have been multiple remakes of this game ported from the NES...if you have a PSP get it for that-it's graphics are rendered better and it's easier on the eyes. FFI for the NES is actually(graphic-wise) somewhat different looking then others i have seen...

It is worth getting the game is awsome but i could sometimes make u made, if u have ever played dragon quest its almost exaclty like the game

If someone would have asked me before I played the game, I would say "No..."

But after playing, I say "YES!!!!!!!!!!!"

I really thought it will be a lame game, even though it was successful in the past. But after playing it, I can say that this game is amazing.
Despite being old, it was really fun and I totally enjoyed.
Of course that it had some annoying things, like:
1) Fights take too long
2) Sometimes, very hard to figure out where to go

But aside of that, it has an amazing world and high level of difficulty.
In my opinion, those two things are what the best about this game.

i say that this game is an essential for any final fantasy fan , obviously because its were the whole thing began!!!! also the fact that it was really enjoyable IMO but a little short and basic , but what else can you expect from a game thats 1st in a series and thats 20 years old, its an absolute classic and a must buy!!.

Yes Grab 1. Great game game. I agree with most other that it is short and great for any FF fan but it also sets up for many possible challenges to try. Like the all White Mage challenge. All in all though good to see were today's FF gets its roots

Please remember to explain why you like or dislike this game. Give reasons to buy or not buy it, rather than just saying "No, it's not a good game" or something along those lines.

I didn't care for it much myself, I found it to either be too simple or too hard. I could never figure out how to beat certain things, I didn't get the non existant story, but it was worth seeing where my favorite game series got it's start. If you're interested in that, or like old games, I would get it. However, if you'll looking for a great game by today's standards, I would say skip it.

If you can track down a cheap copy of FF Origins or FFI and II Dawn of Souls, I suppose it is worth it if you're a huge Final Fantasy fan. Like many have said, it gives you the opportunity to explore where and how the franchise began- and to contrast it with the FF of today. Origins and Dawn of Souls gave you two games in one. But if you were to buy the PSP Anniversary ones, I can't say it's worth it.

I found FFI to be a rather so-so experience on the GBA. Of course, I didn't expect anything deep in terms of the story and the battle system, but the story was woefully short, and whose idea was it to make the northern towns surrounded entirely by forest (making them hard to access because airships can't land on trees). FFII was awful. I despise the battle system- how you'll have to attack yourself if you want a good boost of HP. Fluctuating inn prices didn't help either.

Back