Tech External Hard drive power cord help (please)

The Witch

I myself am strange and unusual
Veteran
Gil
Rinoa Heartilly
Squall Leonhart
Tifa Lockhart
Jenova
Moogle
Cactuar
So, this is the one I have, I own a 900GB WD Book Essential hard drive (WDBAAF0010HBK-01). The power cord recently got ripped or torn. I did a google check and came across this site
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers...sion/L3RpbWUvMTMyMDE3MTc3OS9zaWQvak9TMVcxSWs=

But the power cord they suggest doesn't match the one that I am currently using. The power cord I have now is by Asian Power devices it's number is "7b9037551". Its AC input is "100-240V-,50-60Hz" and it's DC OUTPUT is "12Vdc -2A"

And the official WD website suggest I use this one; http://store.westerndigital.com/sto...goryID.13096000/parid.13092600/catid.13096000

But I have no idea how to tell if it's the right cord and I don't want to just spend money and have it not match. :hmmm: I have a lot if important things on this book, family photos (pics of my dad), videos of my family and I doing stuff together, and even documents that I need. That's why I'm so weary about plugging any old power cord into it, the last thing I need is for it to be fried or something. So as you see, this means a great deal to me and any help will result in much gratitude and gil!

Can anyone tell me if I can use the one they suggested? :damon:

Thank you.

Since it's the official Western Digital store, it should be fine. It may not be the exact same one that you're using but according to the knowledge base and the store, it's compatible with the type of hard drive that you're using.

If it was just some random website, I would be wary of it but since it is on Western Digital's own website, I would trust that they know what they're doing. :lew:

You could probably call their customer service line for more info just to be sure.

The Western Digital 18W power cord and Asian Power Devices 18W power cord are the same, so you don't need to buy anything.

Last edited:
The Western Digital 18W power cord and Asian Power Devices 18W power cord are the same, so you don't need to buy anything.

I do though because my old power cord died. :hmmm:

I know you got some information, but maybe Kirito, Pockets can chip in?

yes, please. that would be very kind of them ^_^ because i really cant risk spending cash if it's not right, let alone risking my book.

thank you kira for forwarding this to jeff, and thank you jeff for your help!

oh, and these are the numbers;

s/n: wmavu3734456m
p/n: wdbaaf0010hbk-01

Actually there's two components to any external hard drive: the hard drive itself, and then a little board that connects to it and transmits data between SATA/USB and power between SATA/AC. Since the board is a go-between, the hard drive can't be compatible or incompatible with any plug. Why is this helpful info? Because it means you pretty much can't fry your HDD no matter what plug you try, and all that matters is what board WD uses to transmit data and power--something which comes much more standard than a hard drive itself and will likely work with a variety of plugs. They could literally have one board that they use with ALL their external hard drives, and it could be nearly identical to what another company uses.

Case in point: so long as your wattage and adapter type (i.e. the size/shape of the plug) are correct, you've got nothing to fear. And considering these kinds of plugs are extremely common (yours looks exactly the same as my Iomega external HDD plug of six years ago) I'd say chances are well in your favor the ones you've already linked to/been linked to will work just fine :)

wow, thank you guys. this help means so much to me. thank you again!! :cali:

Back