Do you think Final Fantasy did disservice to Biggs and Wedge characters from Star Wars?

Sasukexbox

Gil
First of all. Biggs is a badass with a moustache.

And Wedge is this brave fighter pilot in Star Wars movies. But in the games he is this incompetent fat ass who always ruins it.

Not that i like Star Wars because it looks so lame with Laserswords, its basically false advertising since Star Wars sounds like it should be about fighter pilots in space. Something Star Fox did right. But overall, its these moments that is cool. The fighter pilots parts. But i dont like the series because laserswords ruin it for me.

But i think Biggs and Wedge in FF games always made them look worse than the movies by George Lucas

It's funny you should say this. I wrote an article about this very subject, and a few weeks ago I wrote a follow-up about FFXV’s version of the pair.

I can’t accurately summarise it all without spending a long time regurgitating it, so I’ll simply link to it if you are interested:

But to focus on one thing in particular, I think they both do and they don’t do justice to the characters. Not full justice, but there's a loose point of contact between the various Final Fantasy iterations and their Star Wars counterparts.

On the one hand, they are not much like the characters in Star Wars when it comes to the individuals. However, the pair are frequently used to represent the plights of the common soldier (in Star Wars itself a closer parallel might be the former stormtrooper Finn in the sequel trilogy). Often Final Fantasy has Wedge and Biggs contemplate the wider situation of the war they are a part of, and sometimes they are seen to become rebels or at least abandon their imperial positions. In Final Fantasy VII they are rebels from the start.

The characterisation of Biggs and Wedge are quite different depending on the game. Final Fantasy's Wedge isn't always how he is in Final Fantasy VII. They've definitely gone down a very different route with the character there, but he is at least a rebel with some tech knowledge.

One great thing that Final Fantasy has done for Biggs in particular is shine a spotlight on him.

Wedge is well-known in Star Wars, but Biggs had most of his scenes cut from the final release of the film. Many people watching the film wouldn't know who Biggs was meant to be to Luke Skywalker (his closest childhood friend on Tatooine). I suspect that only people who are aware of the deleted scenes and/or have read about the character in Star Wars lore books, etc, will be fully acquainted with Biggs Darklighter. And yet his name is reused in the Final Fantasy franchise, prompting people to look him up.

I met and briefly spoke with the actor who played Biggs Darklighter in Star Wars at a convention once. He really likes the scenes he was in that were deleted, as do I. I'm glad they've been preserved (hopefully for posterity) in YouTube clips, etc.

It's funny you should say this. I wrote an article about this very subject, and a few weeks ago I wrote a follow-up about FFXV’s version of the pair.

I can’t accurately summarise it all without spending a long time regurgitating it, so I’ll simply link to it if you are interested:

But to focus on one thing in particular, I think they both do and they don’t do justice to the characters. Not full justice, but there's a loose point of contact between the various Final Fantasy iterations and their Star Wars counterparts.

On the one hand, they are not much like the characters in Star Wars when it comes to the individuals. However, the pair are frequently used to represent the plights of the common soldier (in Star Wars itself a closer parallel might be the former stormtrooper Finn in the sequel trilogy). Often Final Fantasy has Wedge and Biggs contemplate the wider situation of the war they are a part of, and sometimes they are seen to become rebels or at least abandon their imperial positions. In Final Fantasy VII they are rebels from the start.

The characterisation of Biggs and Wedge are quite different depending on the game. Final Fantasy's Wedge isn't always how he is in Final Fantasy VII. They've definitely gone down a very different route with the character there, but he is at least a rebel with some tech knowledge.

One great thing that Final Fantasy has done for Biggs in particular is shine a spotlight on him.

Wedge is well-known in Star Wars, but Biggs had most of his scenes cut from the final release of the film. Many people watching the film wouldn't know who Biggs was meant to be to Luke Skywalker (his closest childhood friend on Tatooine). I suspect that only people who are aware of the deleted scenes and/or have read about the character in Star Wars lore books, etc, will be fully acquainted with Biggs Darklighter. And yet his name is reused in the Final Fantasy franchise, prompting people to look him up.

I met and briefly spoke with the actor who played Biggs Darklighter in Star Wars at a convention once. He really likes the scenes he was in that were deleted, as do I. I'm glad they've been preserved (hopefully for posterity) in YouTube clips, etc.
Yeah i think the scene talk with Biggs and Luke Skywalker was very cool

First of all. Biggs is a badass with a moustache.

And Wedge is this brave fighter pilot in Star Wars movies. But in the games he is this incompetent fat ass who always ruins it.

Not that i like Star Wars because it looks so lame with Laserswords, its basically false advertising since Star Wars sounds like it should be about fighter pilots in space. Something Star Fox did right. But overall, its these moments that is cool. The fighter pilots parts. But i dont like the series because laserswords ruin it for me.

But i think Biggs and Wedge in FF games always made them look worse than the movies by George Lucas
Once again, your threads are so strange at times without any backing it just doesn't feel genuine. Sometimes it feels like you're trolling at how little information you give, but what little you give provides too many questions. It's kind of like saying "Did you like all the Hitler references in Final Fantasy? By the way: I think Hitler should've ruled the word. that's it! bye!".

To stay on topic: Biggs and Wedge are recurring characters in the FF universe. and they have evolved into their own characters. if you played FF4: THe After years, you know the characters back then in FF4 were actually biggs and wedge. they also appear in FF6. at the very beginning. the game you claim you played. Its very clear they aren't supposed to reflect on the Star Wars characters but just a fun reference. Similar to how Ederick/Link are marked in a gravestone in FF1.

I'm not sure how many Final Fantasy Games you played, but you're going to see them in a lot of FF games. Specifically in FF6. the game you've reviewed in the past.

Once again, your threads are so strange at times without any backing it just doesn't feel genuine. Sometimes it feels like you're trolling at how little information you give, but what little you give provides too many questions. It's kind of like saying "Did you like all the Hitler references in Final Fantasy? By the way: I think Hitler should've ruled the word. that's it! bye!".

To stay on topic: Biggs and Wedge are recurring characters in the FF universe. and they have evolved into their own characters. if you played FF4: THe After years, you know the characters back then in FF4 were actually biggs and wedge. they also appear in FF6. at the very beginning. the game you claim you played. Its very clear they aren't supposed to reflect on the Star Wars characters but just a fun reference. Similar to how Ederick/Link are marked in a gravestone in FF1.

I'm not sure how many Final Fantasy Games you played, but you're going to see them in a lot of FF games. Specifically in FF6. the game you've reviewed in the past.
No idea where the Hitler analogy came from

But i have played 1-7 including After Years

I know the statement about Hitler was in part a hyperbolic invoking of 'Godwin's Law', but Nazi Germany loosely inspired Star Wars, which loosely inspired Final Fantasy. So there is actually a mild connection there.

Loosely being an important word here. Star Wars is a mixture of many things. Final Fantasy is also a mixture of many things. It pulls together real-world mythology, contemporary popular culture, and sometimes historical figures, spins them around a bit and puts them all together in new ways with an original plot.

The characters of Biggs and Wedge in Final Fantasy are different to the characters Biggs Darklighter and Wedge Antilles in Star Wars. However, that doesn't mean that there isn't any value to them being there. Square Enix do appear to be using them for particular purposes, for the most part, and they do appear to make Star Wars references from time to time.

Sasukexbox asks a fair question. Essentially, is the fact that there are differences and yet they have the same name an issue? Is this appropriation without paying a thorough homage to Star Wars?

My opinion is that, despite the throwaway nature of the original reference, the pair have developed in the franchise. They are not even intending for these characters to be exactly the same as their Star Wars counterparts and Square Enix have made them their own, but the spirit of Star Wars is there when you know where to look. Quite often they are rebels. Sometimes even pilots. Sometimes they are former imperials who defect (like Biggs in Star Wars who trained with the Imperial Academy before joining the rebellion and partly inspiring Luke to do the same). Their personalities are different, but their circumstances do mirror Star Wars in a very loose sense.

I think it would be awesome if we were to see an incarnation of Wedge as an kick-ass pilot befitting Wedge Antilles, and it would equally be awesome to see a version of Biggs as a close friend of the protagonist who informs the hero of his secret plan of defecting to join the rebels. But I do also enjoy the various versions of Wedge and Biggs in Final Fantasy that we have so far. Many of them are very different, and it can be fun to anticipate them in a new game and wonder what they will do with them next.

No idea where the Hitler analogy came from

But i have played 1-7 including After Years
I'm saying, you must be aware that Star Wars is not just a popular franchise but an entire iconic phenomenon. So it baffles me that you swing your opinion in such a way that makes it seem like you are not aware of what star wars are. I ask "why is this person who is talking about Biggs and Wedge also feel the need to casually dunk on Star Wars as if it was a cult series and not the icon for what it is".

I'm basically saying you only make a thread to ask one thing, but I feel your real goal is to stir the pot even more by saying as little as possible, but what little you say is controversial.

Last edited:
Guys, please stay on topic.

If for some reason or another you don't agree with the OP or a poster, please take it up to staff via Private Message if you have any concerns (this goes for anyone).

Any posts made after this warning that do not contribute to the direct topic of the thread will be removed.

Thanks.

Back