Help Data corruption

Martel

All your username are belong to me.
Veteran
Gil
Has anyone else had issues with supposed data corruption of this? I'm on Chapter 14, and I get this lovely message from my PS4:

"Cannot continue using the application. The data for the following application is corrupted. Delete the application from the PS4 and then insert the disc again."

Needless to say, there is nothing wrong with my PS4. Needless to say, I am NOT starting this game again after wasting so much time on it. I've been doing a little reading around online and it looks like this is a fairly common issue. Anyone else had this issue...and did anyone else find a fix?

While I haven't seen this particular issue, I have encountered an issue which made me think about a similar situation.

My PS4 croaked it recently (unrelated to the game, some fan issues) but luckily the cloud save meant I didn't have to restart from the beginning when I got a new PS4 soon after.

Now, the differences: save files are separate from the games themselves. When you delete a game from your PS4, that won't/shouldn't delete the save files. You should be fine in that sense if you want to reinstall.

However, if the problem is that the local save file is somehow corrupted, then maybe pulling down a cloud save file might help.

I would suggest to validate that you have a cloud save first, before other stuff. - it's easily done as you will only have access to cloud saves if you have PS+.

After that, you could reinstall the game, redownload your save file or do a combination of both.

If it ends up that the game, the save AND any potential cloud save are corrupted...then you're SoL, friendo, and will probably need to start fresh - according to the internet!

Would you believe this worked? I only had to do it twice, though. I do wonder WHY this happened at this stage in the game, though - most people who had the same problem had it happen during chapters 4 or 8, or right at the beginning. I was closer to the end of the game and it happened to me twice...I wonder if it had something to do with the data install. Strange.

Thanks for keeping a level head whilst I completely lost mine at the thought of having to format my HDD. I should have thought of that immediately really but my PS4 has been sounding like a jet engine more and more lately and I was worried that the game had killed it and I was going to have spend £250 on a new one because Sony can't do backwards compatibility right in PS5...

Glad I could help!

If there's something that totally puts me off a game, it's the idea of having to restart from the beginning when I'm nearly finished. 😅

Back