Crisis Core Crisis Core General Discussion

Daenerys

The Last Dragon
Veteran
Gil
For all your general game banter!

What did you like / not like about this game? Is there something in particular you hated? Something you really enjoyed? Something that made you want to throw the game out of the window? Tell us all about them here!

My brother own the game and likes it pretty well. So do I like the game, but only when watching someone else enjoying playing it. Every time I've tried playing I really couldn't get a feel for the real-time pace and having to use block, dodge, and a side scrolling list of battle actions (Jade Empire did a much better job of this as you could pause to set commands, and it just felt more fluid with the controls).

My other peeve is that Squeenix totally ruined the materia system. In FF7 I could arrange materia in any way I wanted to perform various combos and then start all over with a clean slate to see what works best. In CC the only ways of performing combos is by permanently fusioning materia (which only have one spell each) to get a better spell or various effects and by the enhancements given by the completely random and unexplained DMW system. The DMW system in itself is $*** because it utterly without mercy leaves you without the comfort of a "blow-up the planet" summoning firmly in your control or the at times much needed limit break. Put this materia and DMW system in FF7 (where you cannot run around button-mashing the attack, dodge, and block commands that are ussually all that is needed in CC) and you would get your @$$ handed to you in no time by a Shinra guard. Even if you do beat him, gaining any levels is completely random as well.

Overall, I give it a 6/10 only because it can be fun, the graphics are actually pretty nice in and out of cut scenes, and the story is a good addition to the FF7 lore, even if the game is probably not the best to the series.

I didn't like the fact that your materia and you own leveling was although not completely random ( I know there is hidden xp in it) But only once you reached the xp did you even have a chance of leveling and a slim chance at that. I liked the fact that you can see the story before vii and that the combat is although on the easy side very active and fun.

after playing CC Zach became my number 2 fav ff7 character ofc Sephiroth will always be number 1

CC managed to explain who genesis was, as I got the secret ending for Dirge of Cerebus and I was wondering who he was and CC did that for me

Last edited:
i'm about half way through the game now and i really feel like giving up i think you know what i mean

is it really worth getting to the end?

I feel like they made Zack more badass in the end than he really should be. In FFVII he just took a bullet for Cloud, and crawled his way up a cliff. But when those 2 ShinRa guys found him, they just shot him and he died. But here he dies
fighting off a WHOLE army of ShinRa
, big jump huh? :P
But I have to say the game was pretty decent, I really love Zack as a lead because he's so cheery and fun. It was cool seeing some of the FFVII characters a lot younger (like Yuffie O_O). But I didn't like the battle system, it's pretty lonesome battling just on your own :sad3: I miss having a party and such... pressing X over and over is just boring... and did I mention I miss having a party? :(
So yeah, the game was decent, not perfect, great graphics, okay story, it was just decent.

i'm about half way through the game now and i really feel like giving up i think you know what i mean

is it really worth getting to the end?

Hey i know how you feel! Knowing Zack was just going to die made me a sad ninja =( but the good news is at least you know he still lives on through Cloud in a way! the ending really is worth seeing, at least once. i won't spoil it, of coarse it's sad, but you still should keep going!

For me, the major problem was playing through the ending. I wasn't sure if the ending was actually the ending, and I was worried that I was doing something wrong within combat. D: I was so good at using the fighting system, or so I thought, and I thought I was beginning to slow down.

I don't really have anything negative to say about the game. I really loved the characters, battle system, story and music. It made me laugh, cry, frustrated and even angry. I adore games that can draw an emotion out from me. It was a journey for me to play through and through. :3

Crisis Core really showed me how awesome Zack is and how less impressive Cloud is. I thought Cloud was pretty cool until I played CC. Zack was everything I like in heroes. Determined, positive and looks cool. Cloud now seems to be more of a depressed downer. I wish Cloud bit the big one instead Zack. Not to take anything away from Cloud, he did slay Sephiroth but I was going for Zack all the way.

Crisis Core really showed me how awesome Zack is and how less impressive Cloud is. I thought Cloud was pretty cool until I played CC. Zack was everything I like in heroes. Determined, positive and looks cool. Cloud now seems to be more of a depressed downer. I wish Cloud bit the big one instead Zack. Not to take anything away from Cloud, he did slay Sephiroth but I was going for Zack all the way.
Well then I'd say Square-Enix has succedeed, because isn't that what Cloud's character was also feeling? It's been ages since I last played FFVII but I think Cloud feels like Zack should've survived instead of him.

I do agree with you though: I loved Zack's character and was pretty sad when he died (though we all know he will...)

About the game, I enjoyed how they expanded on the world before FFVII event, the whole SOLDIER concept, Zack's character...I even like Angeal and Zack's interactions with the Turk. What I didn't really like was how they changed some events from what was canon in FFVII, like the event at Nibelheim, and I guess Zack's death. For the latter, I acknowledge that CC's version is more epic...but I was slightly bothered by it (probably because of the already mentioned Nibelheim scene) I do like how they recreated some scenes as a reference to the OVA Last Order, like the way Zack first confronted Sephiroth in Nibelheim's mako reactor.

I'm not one to bitch about the small stuff so there really wan't anything that I didn't like. I do agree that the materia system could have been better along with the limit break/dmw system. But I'll take it regardless.

I'm not one to bitch about the small stuff so there really wan't anything that I didn't like. I do agree that the materia system could have been better along with the limit break/dmw system. But I'll take it regardless.

I liked both of the systems.. it gave a element of luck in the game... and gaining 3-4 levels in boss fights was awesome... crisis core really sold my psp for me it was my first final fantasy game that i owned and I loved it :) you could say that game was the reason I love final fantasy but nope.. i was playing my brothers copy of FFX 2 years before :wacky:

reading this thread makes me wanna hunt down my copy of it again.. that game was sooo awesome and the characters were amazing zack was what a FF Main character should be... Angel was an awesome character and he really helped zack during the game.. Genesis the way he fights sephiroth in that CGI Secne was awesome. the gameplay was very good.. kingdom hearts like with that mteria system I loved.. you could customize the character to your liking.. also the DMW system gave that element of luck in the game... and half of his limit breaks were amazing

The game is nothing like I expected it to be to tell you the truth. The only negative thing I can say is the missions, aside from the fact that doing them is pointless, I wanted to finish all of them but when i think about it, whats the point? you can beat the game without and the missions are the only side thing you can do so why bother with it?

everything else is good, I love the music for the game, I didnt like the battle system at first but onc ei started playing it more then it got alitle bit better. loved the storyline sinc ei been waiting to hear zacks story for the longest. The ending wasnt what i imagined it to be but it was still a cool ending and i say cloud should have went out in style like zack did, zack gets major awsome points from me, loved the ending xD

I liked both of the systems.. it gave a element of luck in the game... and gaining 3-4 levels in boss fights was awesome... crisis core really sold my psp for me it was my first final fantasy game that i owned and I loved it :) you could say that game was the reason I love final fantasy but nope.. i was playing my brothers copy of FFX 2 years before :wacky:

reading this thread makes me wanna hunt down my copy of it again.. that game was sooo awesome and the characters were amazing zack was what a FF Main character should be... Angel was an awesome character and he really helped zack during the game.. Genesis the way he fights sephiroth in that CGI Secne was awesome. the gameplay was very good.. kingdom hearts like with that mteria system I loved.. you could customize the character to your liking.. also the DMW system gave that element of luck in the game... and half of his limit breaks were amazing
The luck thing was pretty neat I just wish that leveling up was done manually. IDK why I feel that way. I guess because sometimes it takes forever to get just one level higher.

So I just beat Crisis Core Reunion - The game is pretty much the same so while this topic has been dead for 10+ years, I think talking about CC-Reunion is relevant.

Oh boy!

First, What I like about the game.
Zack
Zack is a fantastic character and well realised within Crisis Core as a product. I liked his energy and motivation and the story showed his experience within Solider very well. I also enjoyed seeing his interaction with Aerith and how that all progressed.

Nibelheim
One of the big parts of the original game and ti is very well realised here within Crisis Core - I loved every moment within Nibelheim and playing through this section revamped in Reunion was a big treat as it sets the tone for how it should look in Rebirth (Depending what on earth happens with that game).

Combat
I enjoyed the in-game combat a lot, very much like Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep I liked the idea of equipping commands and using them in battle. It was fast and worked as a decent set-up for action combat.

Art Direction
The game looks fantastic, not just graphically but also from an art direction standpoint. I love the monster designs and all the new locations look brilliant.

Okay, so now on to what really bothered me about the experience - I'll add spoiler tags.

Genesis
Just about anything Genesis related within this game was a problem. I hated every scene he was in constantly reciting the Loveless Poetry like a drone. There wasn't much to his character other than that
. Then when you get into the story aspects with all the clones -
it Just felt like all the bad aspects of Kingdom Hearts story suddenly bleeding into Final Fantasy VII. I could accept it in KH (to a point...) but I don't see this aspect of the story fitting in Final Fantasy VII as well & as a prequel story, it feels like there was a lot of big events/ridiculous content that was just to big to suddenly not be apparent within the original game.

Angeal
I like the concept of Angeal as a character, he had a very strong presence and I liked his interaction with Zack and I liked his stance on honour. However, soon after his turn within the story his character completely collapses for me.
The moment where his mother is found dead and it is indicated he killed her (Not helped by his dialogue within the scene either) put me off him completely. Then there are moments in the story where it is seen he is helping you but his motives just don't make sense. When it comes to the final confrontation it should have been a decent stand but instead of holding his honour he transformed into a beast...thing... I just couldn't take the moment seriously so when he did pass on, I felt nothing.

Materia Fusion
I never felt very engaged within the Materia Fusion concept within the game. The problem was I was always cautious about using components that I might not be able to get again. I did end up looking at a guide a few times for inspiration and took a few ideas but felt very unapproachable overall.

'Extra' Missions
This is one of the worse aspects for Crisis Cores gameplay for me. The problem I have is that it is indicated that it is just a bunch of extras but I would argue half if not most of the games useful content is locked within these missions. There was one point in the game where it even told me to go do 2 certain missions to get access to having 2 extra accessory slots - Which gameplay wise is a MASSIVE DEAL! The missions themselves are short, generic and in ridiculous quantity. I did start working on them as they appeared but by the time I got to 30% I was done.

Supernatural Elements
I know this is Final Fantasy where characters can summon magic and wild beasts are everywhere but there is something about some of the supernatural elements in CC just feel too far ouot of the context to the original game. Much like Minerva, the lack of context and design just didn't fit with the rest of the game.

Overall I just feel Crisis Core adds a lot worse than good to the series. I like Zack as a character but some of the story elements in this game are just too far over the top and ultimately disappointing I remember feeling that way about Dirge of Cerberus too so I am hesitant to replay that game again now...

Back