Help Any point to leveling accessories besides upgrading?

Elemental

Gil
I'm back doing some trophy hunting for FFXIII. Aside from upgrading items (such as Collector's Catalog to Connoisseur's Catalog), is there any other purpose to leveling up your accessories? I assume there must be something since even accessories with no further upgrade can be further leveled up. Is it just for the purpose of dismantling or is there some other buff to its performance? I can't find this in the guide or on the web. Thanks!

I've added Help tags to aid this thread's visibility.

I'm back doing some trophy hunting for FFXIII. Aside from upgrading items (such as Collector's Catalog to Connoisseur's Catalog), is there any other purpose to leveling up your accessories? I assume there must be something since even accessories with no further upgrade can be further leveled up. Is it just for the purpose of dismantling or is there some other buff to its performance? I can't find this in the guide or on the web. Thanks!

It has been so long since I last played the game, so I'm not much help myself as I have largely forgotten how the equipment system works in this game. I have, however, asked on your behalf on our Discord so hopefully we can aid you soon.

Personally, aside from accessories like Collector's Catalog upgrading to a new item, I didn't see much point. Most accessories only become a max version of what they start as. And while the stat increase is nice, buying the items to bulk it up just isn't worth the time or gil. Even if they do level up, the stat game still isn't worth it, nor is burning a catalyst. I am recalling this from memory, so I might be off on small details and apologize if I am. I think in my last playthrough, I didn't upgrade weapons either. If I did, I just maxed it's first level, that was usually enough of a stat gain to be worth it, while going higher is just too much time and effort.

For accessories with a single level, the only reason to max them is to upgrade to the next tier or to dismantle them for some specific reward(s). There's no affect on the performance of the accessory. Most dismantles are not worthwhile. Here is (I believe) a comprehensive list of notable dismantles (note that many of these are limited items so you may wish to avoid dismantling them):

Access to rare/limited/difficult to obtain items: Doctor's Code (Elixir + shrouds), Tetradic Crown (Hermes Sandals + stuff), Tetradic Tiara (Sprint Shoes + stuff), Champion's Badge (Ethersol + stuff), Energy Sash (Ethersol + stuff), Fire/Ice/Lightning/Water/Wind/Earth Charms (corresponding elemental ring), any tier 3 elemental ring (at max, dismantle for tier 1 version of ring--depending on treasures picked up/sold this may be the only way to access certain tier 1 rings for Treasure Hunter--but ideally get them directly or from the Charms)

Access to useful expensive items at a discount: Survivalist Catalog (2x Fortisol, 2x Aegisol, 1x Deceptisol), Hunter's Friend (3x Deceptisol, Librascope), Genji Glove (Trapezohedron + stuff), Nirvana from Tigerclaw/Healer's Staff/Mistleteinn/Belladonna Wand or Kain's Lance from Dragoon Lance/Shamanic Spear/Punisher/Pandoran Spear/Gae Bolg (at max, dismantle for 3x Trapezohedron + stuff) [Shamanic Spear is cheapest from scratch, Punisher is cheapest if you have spare Scarletite]

Dismantles for better gil/XP rewards than the sale cost of the item + cost of the upgrade: Goddess's Favor (Scarletite, Perfume, Ribbon), Ribbon (dismantle at base level for 6x Dusklight Dew), Super Ribbon (dismantle at max for 60x Black Mycellium, 2x Starblossom Seed, Ribbon), Speed Sash (Chocobo Tail Feather x40 + stuff, only if building 3x multipliers for enough things to use up the CTFs)

[for the record, I think plenty of accessories are worth upgrading for use, including STR/MAG boosters, Black Belt/Rune Bracelet and upgrades, Whistlewind Scarf to make Aurora Scarf, most Critical: buff accessories to make Auto: buff accessories, Gaian Rings, Moonbow Anklets, Pain Deflectors, maybe Effulgent Capes]

Back