Crisis Core A real company like Shin-Ra?

Gil
After beating Crisis Core, the whole idea of SOLDIER seems so inspiring that I just have to ask: is there anything like that in real life?
I've thought about the marine corps, or the army, but they are nothing compared to Shin-Ra. Mainly because they are owned by the government, but also because their soldiers are nothing special, and noone would consider them heroes (ok, 3rd and 2nd class aren't considered heroes in the games either but you get the point, right?)

I would do anything for even the slightest chance to become a hero like Zack or Cloud (or Angeal, Genesis...).

Whatever I do, I always keep honor in mind and try to act like a SOLDIER would.

Yeah, I'm obsessed, I know, but I'm serious. Any help would be more than appreciated.

Thank you

*Thread moved to Crisis Core section*

I have never heard of such organizations. Maybe others do, but unlikely.

You are most likely in the process of being spellbound by the game since you have just finished it. Not trying to discourage you here, but it's often good to be realistic.

yeah.. a group of people like what cloud and sephiroth were, whom are run by a company funded by the government, those are called private security forces. the government hired a few to go to iraq a few years back, problem is.. 1) you do need a military back ground to get into one of those companies. 2) the work you would do is no where near as glorious as what you saw on the game and 3) media-wise these companies do not have a good reputation for being straight laced and doing their jobs, there has been a lot of issues with them and friendly fire.
so i agree with ulty there. you are just spellbound with what the game was about. sorry to deflate your balloon like that, but i figured i would shed some reality on ya' there.

So, seddy-0, "Private Security Forces" basically are mercenaries right? I guess that'd be a start.. but then again mercenaries and honor - most of them would probably be scum, nothing like SOLDIERs.
And as you said, military background is required. Joining the army would probably be a good thing to do (earing $2,500 a month, being put in a squad with people of questionable intelligence and a bunch of rednecks, and not to forget the chance of dying, sounds great right?) No, really, Im considering it.

Thank you both for posting

I think you should really consider your decisions very carefully. Consult it with your relatives and friends. Have you had such ambitions BEFORE you played the game? Do you think you will change your mind in the future? Are there any other factors than FFVII that drives you to do this?

Because personally, getting motivated to do something big just because of ONE game, is a little unrealistic.

Yes, I have. I've thought about joining the military before, but there just never was anything that I thought was worth fighting for. I doubt that I will change my mind, but I'll have plenty of time to think about it since it might take me a few weeks to get my 2-mile time down to under 14 minutes. Another factor ... mercenaries, unlike soldiers, get paid pretty well, but that did not really affect my decision a whole lot.

My following post is really an outsiders opinion. I'm not knowledgeable about the inner-workings of the military. I have known a few people go through it, but everything else in my post is based on what I pick up from people generally - their attitudes etc.

We're not (to my knowledge) common to worship war heroes these days. What we tend to do instead is mourn. Typically people only hear about soldiers as individuals when there has been an attack and they are injured / killed, and it is then reported at home, and when their bodies are returned they are given honour. Sometimes we get rescue stories where a soldier has helped save another soldier's life, but it doesn't go much beyond that. Of cases I recall of that nature the people who are praised for such deeds are soon largely forgotten. They don't tend to reach a sort of cult status. Perhaps in their local community and family they'd be remembered, but not much beyond that, in most cases.

We don't really have any equivalent war heroes to Sephiroth, Zack, Angeal, Genesis etc. The individual soldier is less prominent in our times. There are some that gain fame after a war, and because they put themselves out to the media / fight a cause in politics / charity. It can be up to the media. There has been a moral shift over the last hundred years (different depending on the nation but predominantly because of WW1, but really also WW2, Vietnam, etc). Because a lot of people are against the idea of war these days it is harder for heroes of war to be born. Fighting in itself is no longer as honourable a thing, and is often detested, but what is considered honourable is the sacrifice, and I guess the sadness of it all which causes communities to bond under tragic circumstances.

Yeah, you're right, we don't. I wish we would warship war heroes instead of football players. I don't support war in any way but I do believe that fighting is an honorable thing. Why don't we remember war heroes? What is it that makes people admire others who can throw a football but not the ones who have saved countless lives?

Thank you for your post

"Embrace your dreams"

but also because their soldiers are nothing special, and noone would consider them heroes
I consider them heroes. I'd say a guy throwing himself on top of a grenade(like what Jason Dunham did) qualifies them as hero material. Come to think of it, willingly putting yourself on the line to protect others DOES make them a hero. So... yeah, they might not have super powers but they ARE heroes.

The closest you can get to that is joining the military--but you don't think they're heroes so you're better off RPing :lew:

You probably are just spellbound by the game, though. :/

i think you need to realise the difference between reality and fiction. if you did go through all the necessary steps and became some sort of equivalent to a soldier from ff7, you certainly wouldn't end up saving the entire planet from your ex-mentor turned evil while making some super awesome friends and fighting with a big super awesome sword and have magic powers. i'm sure your life would be really quite dull and the opposite of what you're expecting.

long story short, get a grip

(This honestly does turn around into FF again).

I agree that I don’t find much of interest about football, and footballers are not heroes to me. But that’s only because I find the sport, and much modern sport, boring. Other people disagree and to them some footballers are incredible and deserve worship.

In today’s world (in Britain) kicking a football into a net is the ultimate show of manhood. When a boy is growing up that is what all of the people who are cool and are men-men do (/ boy-boys on their way to become men-men). The silly people, like myself, do all we can to avoid The Ball and only come in contact with it when it smacks us on the back of the head amidst giggling from the ‘men-men’. When people finish growing up it is already embedded in a lot of people that to do football, or to watch it and worship the footballers, is to do what men do. That is only generally (or outwardly) speaking, and not all-inclusive, obviously, for else I’d be excluding even myself.

Compare the sort of fame of footballers to the Gladiators of Rome… Or compare this to the victors of sporting events in pan-Hellenic games such as the ancient Olympics. People would write interesting songs about victories in sport and people were given huge honours and prizes (more so than footballers in today’s world – though the successful ones are very rich).

Showing off ones prowess in some sort of physical activity is often considered important for men to be considered as that sort of man-man. Sport was one aspect. Hunting was another (/ sort of sport in itself). War was often yet another.

Today we are not as fond of liking the idea of war for gain or fighting for plunder or glory, or war for the sake of purely showing off ones masculinity. Some people do sign up for this reason still, showing off for mates, etc. But more people now wish to avoid war as much as is possible, recognising the different views of the people they’d be fighting against, how essentially anyone on the other side could be a kid who’s had a gun shoved in his hands for a purpose beyond their control – as opposed to a horned demon with a forked tongue.

It’s harder to become a hero when the concept of war itself is disliked. There are heroes who save people, who help a wounded comrade, who die trying to save a child, etc. But the act of war is no longer as honourable a thing for people. Where it is honourable, it is in a different sense.

We do not speak any more like we did even 60 years ago of ‘getting people in between the eyes’, being a dashing and daring warrior and killing lots of people. I had a time when I read old 1940s wartime local newspapers, and this is the sort of language that they used (probably rousing up the public to support the fight). The news of today does not tend use this sort of language as war is no longer a glorious adventure. People are more aware again now, and are more open now, to the feelings of the ‘other side’. It’s not always about the people fighting – the reasons are separate to them. The combatants are therefore the sad sacrifice and loss of two opposing sides who will die for some cause, often not really understanding / agreeing / even knowing the true cause at the time in which they are fighting. When people think about war heroes it is more in sympathy for what they’ve had to go through, more so as victims, and not in praise of how valiant they looked when they lopped a man’s head off. Such things people try to forget.

In essence the focus for heroes now is on the sympathy for those who receive wounds, or run the risk receiving them, or help an injured friend escape death. The focus is not so much on the wounds inflicted on the enemy or the importance of the people killed, and the honour it gives you. At least I hope this is how it is.

Now in the FFVII universe the soldiers are generally (if I recall correctly) enthusiastic about showing off their worth and how brave they can be. In this world people would go out to slay dragons to prove to a girl that they have courage. Slaying monsters / poor innocent animals is acceptable in this universe. The worship of Sephiroth as a hero of the Wutai war is more a worship of his strength and competence at dispatching Wutai soldiers than at him being heroic and saving lives (if I recall correctly). His strength is what is more so emphasised.

Cloud wanted to join SOLDIER to show what he could do to Tifa and the people back at home, because in his town he was an outcast and did not have what it takes to be a man-man (on our planet he’d be one to avoid The Ball). He was desperate to prove himself. It wasn’t as much about a reason to fight or a cause. A war would only be an opportunity. He’d want to protect Tifa, but he’d do it as a proven hero after killing lots of people and earning respect.

That, to me, is the difference between the FFVII universe (and many fictional universes – for such universes are more interesting as fiction when they involve war of this sort) and our current world. I might be entirely wrong, and possibly am, (may have exaggerated and simplified both the FFVII universe and our own) but that’s my outsiders view.

Hahah yeah I know , spiky hair and a huge sword aren't gunna make me a hero either. And, yes, obviously magic powers are fictional. Making friends isn't that unrealistic, and a sword - ya thats also rather unlikely.
I'm aware of all that, but don't any of you think it would be worth a shot?

"Unattainable dreams are the best kind" -Lazard

Gingerbread Man, I've never really thought about that - what a soldier actually fights for - and like I said there never was anything I thought was worth fighting for so you might be right, becoming a soldier does not seem that glorious anymore. I live in the US and Ive never really been patriotic in any way, not saying I don't care about my country, but I wouldn't be blind enough to believe it would be for the common good if I was in Iraq killing 16-year-olds who barely know how to handle a gun.

And you got me there - like Cloud, I`d be the one avoiding the ball. So yeah maybe I do want a chance to prove myself. Still fighting for something one does not believe in jsut for the sake of fighting would not be very honorable.

SOLDIERs in FFVII ususally dont fight helpless animals, they protect the cities from monsters (or at least that's what they say). I do not find killing helpless animals acceptable and for that very reason, I rarely eat meat, and if I do I only eat the wild kind, not meat from animals that were raised in Mass Production Farms, which I think are very cruel.

The Dоctor;1000751 said:
you just seem to have a very unrealistic standard of real life based on a computer game

Did you never have a dream?

Mod edit:
*posts merged*

Last edited by a moderator:
The Dоctor;1000984 said:
i used to dream of meeting sonic the hedgehog when i was 6. as i grew up i realised how silly i was being.

I used to dream of becoming a businessman when I was 12. As I grew up I realised how meaningless my life would be.

Im heading off to bootcamp soon, I'd like to thank all of you for your posts especially Gingerbread Man.
It might seem unrealistic but the first step you take is always the longest stride.

Live life like your never living twice

Cloud

You could possibly join the government in America. America reminds me of Shinra because their government is imperialistic and their armies kill innocent people around the world. I mean.. ShinRa tried to destroy Wutai and kill its people when the Wutai people were only defending themselves. If you want to be a hero then you should stop the Zionists. ;)

Back