17 Years of Final Fantasy X !

Starships

Zero Gravity
Veteran
Gil
Just found out today that FFX came out seventeen years ago. July 19th, 2001 in Japan. Man, time does go fast. I feel so ancient right now. Anyways, though- what are your memories with this game? The good and the bad?

Remember! This is your story!

V45wrCa.gif

Wow! That makes me feel old!

FFX was actually my second Final Fantasy game. I only got into Final Fantasy at around 2004, which is around the same time I got a PS2. I had initially started playing Final Fantasy VIII, so when I moved to FFX the changes in the graphics were the first thing I noticed. I loved the various different places in the game, such as Besaid and the Macalania Woods. Also, the scene where Yuna did the sending was so pretty! ^_^ I was drawn into the story from the beginning and I remember feeling for Tidus when he found out what a summoner needed to do to defeat Sin. And then all the feels at the end - that musical score was beautiful. This was probably the Final Fantasy that I was the most emotionally invested in.

I don't really have bad memories of the game - except that laugh scene. That was cringey :LOL:

Last edited:
Makes you feel old? This was 2 months after I graduated high school.

This was the 3rd FF I played after VIII and IX. Though, I only played IX once or twice and quit pretty early on because it bored me. So really it was the 2nd one I played in full. My 1st time through, I played for like 200+ hours (might have been 285, if my memory is correct). I still have that game saved on a memory card somewhere. I did everything the game had to offer (in the US version anyways). And after putting that much time and effort into the game, I went ahead and finished it off. The ending was explosive to me. Being the romantic that I am, it was sad to see 2 people who love each other be forced to say goodbye. Ironically, its as if Yuna's original fate all along would have been the easier to take. Damn, I really need to get the dust cleaned out of this room!

It has many positives. To go with the powerful storyline, the soundtrack is one of my favorites. The graphics for the time were excellent. We were introduced to real voices, which I always prefer to reading (even if the voices sucked at times). The minigames, especially blitzball, were awesome. I had levels up in the upper 50's in blitz. I was hooked. Oh the grind of capturing for the Monster Arena. What a grind.

I always put this up there with VIII as my favorites.

This one didn't really draw me in on my first playthrough. I had trouble connecting with the characters, except Yuna and Auron. I hated the voice acting and ended up muting the television so I missed most of the music. I did like the battle system and wanted to see how Yuna's story unfolded so I plodded along. I did eventually give up.

I played through it again a few years ago and I actually enjoyed it more this time around. The music was great. The voices were still terrible and I had trouble taking Tidus seriously any time there was a scene where he was supposed to be emotional. I still found him whiny but paying more attention to the scenes, I understand why. His dad was a world class dick. I agree that the graphics were really good for the time and some of the environments were really well done. Macalania forest was beautiful.

So I guess my memories are mixed, haha. Didn't enjoy it my first time but appreciated more on a second run through it.

Wow, I feel so old reading this! I still remember how I immediately fell in love with the locations, the music, the story, characters, I was so drawn into this game and this universe. Everytime I play this game I still get butterflies in my stomach.

The fight where you have Seymour in your party still is one of my all time favorite moments. I also still remember FINALLY beating Seymour on the top of Mt. Gagazet for the 1st time. God that fight took FOREVER! His lance of atrophy attack can fuck right off. Managing to dodge the lightning bolts for Lulu's celestial weapon, getting my 1st ever Platinum trophy on this game.
FFX truly is a game I will forever love.

Back