Wrong translation?

Marazmatique

Paladin?! I'm a warlock!
Gil
So, I finally remembered the original reason I joined the boards...

A while ago I got interested in the hypothesis of how Rinoa and Seifer originally met. A guy on the Forest Own train asks you about it, so I figured that MAYBE somewhere in the game it's hinted at or explained, and that I could've missed it. I ended up looking through a bunch of sites and forums, and apparently there is no answer to THAT question, but somewhere, maybe even in the Rinoa Rant thread here, it was said that what she says about Seifer in the Galbadia Garden in the English version of the game is entirely different from what she originally says in Japanese. The lines about how she thought she was in love, in particular.

Well, does anyone know what it was she really said?

I'm not sure that there was an error in translation, I don't think there were any others and it would be unlikey that they'd have just one.
The thing is that Square were originally going to make it a love triangle, a la Tifa/Cloud/Aerith, however they dropped that idea. So her saying that she thought that she was in love was originally how it was intended. They probably just didn't bother re-writing that part because it doesn't make an awful lot of difference to the plot.

It doesn't make a tremendous difference in the plot. They have professionals go through everything again on the translations and sure, they may change things here and there but they wouldn't make a drastic change so I'm sure mostly how it was intended is how it's displayed.

I'm not sure that there was an error in translation, I don't think there were any others and it would be unlikey that they'd have just one.

I actually remember reading somewhere (can't find the original link-sorry) that there was an error in translation when battling Ultimecia, a pretty big one. Apparently,
she says something to them about how she's going to destroy their memories, something along the lines of messing with their memories...which explains the ending FMV so much better, like the fact that Squall can't recall Rinoa's face.
So, it's possible they mistranslated somewhere else, too, in a big way. Not sure, though, about the Rinoa/Seifer thing.

The thing is that Square were originally going to make it a love triangle, a la Tifa/Cloud/Aerith, however they dropped that idea. So her saying that she thought that she was in love was originally how it was intended. They probably just didn't bother re-writing that part because it doesn't make an awful lot of difference to the plot.

I do agree with it, they changed up their mind about their original plot, which I guess, was probably inspired by the great success of FFVII, then changed, deciding to keep on creating something completely different for each game :ohshit:

If anything they played it up more in the English, the chance of a teenager using the words "I love" in a real sense are slim, its pretty uncommon since she is young the chance is even slimmer, since even Yuna didn't really say those words in the Japanese VG.

Its probably less straight forward in Japanese. Who knows though, buy the Japanese version and find the context that could help.

If anyone had the original Japanese text around, I could check.
I don't have the time to go check it myself, although I have the game in Japanese, but I can always check a screenshot or whatever.

But I think someone else sometime already said that the text is different in Japanese.

Back