What FF-related side hobby do you currently do?

Mister Goober

Gil
FFXIV
Chad Thundermember
What FF-related side hobby do you currently do?

It could be anything, as long as it's related to the Final Fantasy series.

Personally, I am learning to play the piano composition of FF8's Fisherman's Horizon. I might decide to draw after I master that piece.

And why do you do it?

Apologies if this thread is meant for the miscellaneous section. Sorry sorry sorry.

I've been toying with the idea of a sequel project to Final Fantasy VIII, to the scale of something like Advent Children. I don't have much literacy talent, so I am writing it in the format of a screenplay - So action description and dialogue divided.

I've got plenty of ideas for it and have wrote out summaries for each scene. I just need time to apply more detail to the individual moments and story as a whole - I have plenty of ideas as to where the series can go and what lore to explore. I think the problem I am having is with the boldness to add new themes to the story as a whole - So they tie in well with what has gone before and how the lives of characters have changed in time. I've many ideas for action sequences/boss fights - The opening one featuring a dragon perched on top of the Balamb Hotel tower as SeeD Soldiers take it on with swinging hooks and blades Attack on Titan style.

The biggest problem I have now is focus, I've also been working on a Children's Picture book (Not FF related :P) - Which my perfectionist nature won't deem good enough. I see so many mistakes and am currently trying to use photoshop to clean up a lot of the wonky lines or where colour has bleed. I can spend 1-2 hours fixing a single line, so it is quite a task but looking back at the progress I have made I can see it's worth it... it's just too time consuming for my liking.

Then there is also work, I've limited my work to 4 days a week but hate every second of it and usually by the evenings I'm worn out. So really I only get 3 days a week to work on such projects and at best I'm managing 3-5 hours on 2-days a week if I'm honest.

This is a great thread!

I guess my main hobby concerning Final Fantasy is writing about them. I mostly write articles about the mythological inspirations of Final Fantasy here on this site. It is a hobby but also quite a bit more than that, or at least I'd like it to be.

A few times I have written about other themed topics (Final Fantasy references to dinosaurs, the Wild West and Shakespeare) back when we were producing our digital magazine (Timber Maniacs).

Despite putting a Herculean effort into them, they aren't exactly exploding all over the internet and getting me known or anything, but I do sometimes encounter my own articles during google searches and when I do hear from people who read them it reminds me that they must be useful to some people!

If attending KupoCon can be called a hobby, then that must be my second. I'm not too huge on conventions like MCM comic-con which basically cram fans like sardines into a warehouse with stalls, etc. I'm also quite a shy and introverted guy by nature. It was KupoCon which really changed things for me. I attend any KupoCon in the UK that I can get to. So far I've only missed one UK event. I have friends there now, some of them I actually met here on the forum before meeting them in real life. I've met and had actual meaningful conversations with a number of voice actors from the Final Fantasy franchise. I've been very impressed with how friendly/casual (but well organised) KupoCon has been. The atmosphere is fantastic because guests and attendees alike are all treated with the same amount of respect, and intermingle and enjoy themselves together. There's a reason they call it a fan gathering rather than a convention. For example, I sat down one Friday night with Raubahn's English VA and chatted for half an hour or more with him whilst he sipped tequila. At another event Barret's VA came over and spoke to me numerous times and was just very relatable the whole time with everybody. I definitely owe KupoCon, and Final Fantasy, quite a bit.

With Covid, all of this obviously came to a swift and cruel halt. But, things are looking up now. Hopefully the world will heal enough to allow their planned future events.

As for other more hobby-like hobbies? I'm not exactly what you might accurately describe as an artist. I sometimes doodle, mostly for events on this site and they aren't intended to be masterpieces. I've drawn murdered moogles for our Moogle Murder Mystery events. I've drawn silly Final Fantasy monsters for our 'beat the monster' type events (new one starting soon). Those examples are MS Paint silly things. I have tried drawing with pencil on paper too, mostly for lulz during our art events.

As for writing, well I always did want to write stories ever since I was a child, and Final Fantasy's stories definitely fed that passion as I was growing up. My teacher squashed the idea out of my head and told me not to be silly, etc. Me being an idiot, I guess I did neglect this dream, though I didn't consciously ever tell myself I'd given up. I've always told stories to myself and drafted ideas, but very rarely do I ever convert these drafts into a finished product. On this site, however, I created a number of Final Fantasy short stories for our forum events, and I also wrote a Final Fantasy piece for KupoCon's online fan fiction event last year (a story which switched Edgar and Sabin with the GF Brothers and reimagines the coin toss scene from Final Fantasy VI). For that, I actually won a prize, which was quite a novelty as on the forum here I usually come last! :argor:

In short: I'm a talentless hack but I love Final Fantasy and it is pretty much a part of my DNA.

Back