The Greatest Story Ever Told

Casanova

I'm nothing but a beast
Veteran
Gil
A while ago, I watched a movie called Zeitgeist. The movie is a documentary film that is split into 3 main parts. The first part is about the Bible and how most of what is written in the Bible (and sometimes religion in general) can be linked strongly with astronomy. The most intriguing part of this documentary film for me was the fact that the Ancient Egyptian Sun God Horus and Jesus have so much in common, it's almost too good to be true. An atheist's dream, if you will.

The first part of Zeitgeist is called "The Greatest Story Ever Told"

Part I evaluates the historicity of the Bible. In furtherance of the Jesus myth hypothesis, this part argues that the historical Jesus is a literary and astrological hybrid,<sup> </sup>and that the Bible is based on astrological principles documented by many ancient civilizations, especially pertaining to the movement of the sun through the sky and stars. The film explains how and why early civilizations personified the Sun as the "representative of the unseen Creator or God" and how stars were linked into constellations, the 12 constellations being a place of travel for "God's Sun" and representing "elements of nature that happened during that period of time." This section is also used by the film to show the Pagan origins of the symbol of the Cross.

Horus, the Ancient Egyptian Sun God, is introduced as having a number of attributes in common with Jesus. For instance, the movie claims that Horus was born of a virgin mother, his arrival was proclaimed by a star in the east and upon his birth he was adored by three kings. He was a child teacher at 12, was baptized at 30, traveled with 12 disciples and performed acts such as healing the sick and walking on water. The relationship between Horus and Set is also discussed. The movie describes this conflict (dark vs. light or good vs. evil) as "one of the most ubiquitous mythological dualities ever known and it's still expressed at many levels at this day."

According to the movie, religion and myths in general are used to manipulate people and maintain established social structures.

"Christianity, along with all other theistic belief systems [...] empowers those who know the truth, but use the myth to manipulate and control societies. The religious myth is the most powerful device ever created, and serves as the psychological soil upon which other myths can flourish."

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeitgeist_movie

Now, the main reason that I made this thread was because I wanted to gauge other people's opinions on not just Zeitgeist, but also Jesus, Horus and religion as a whole. I want to know (preferably from someone of Christian faith) what you make of Zeitgeist and the strong links it highlights between Horus and Jesus and all other aspects of religion.

Luckily, this movie was released on the internet so you can watch it just about anywhere. Simply enter "Zeitgeist, the Movie" into Google and look for a decent version.

Let it be known as early as possible that I did not make this thread to judge anyone that is religious, and neither do I plan on doing so. Think of me simply as your average person willing to learn about your beliefs and views.

Ah, I've watched that. I quite enjoyed the first part, but after that it moved onto conspiracy theories, that don't really involve me, and quite frankly, seemed like a stretch. They were interesting, of course.

I think that the idea of part one was an educated one. I have a surprising amount of knowledge on foreign culture, and Horus, Jesus, etcetera and the zodiac all share a similarity large enough that it is quite... suspicious.

Of course, to put another perspective onto the argument, I will say this;

Perhaps this whole zodiac jesus thing was a base for the bible. A way to write it and an inspiration, yet also a way to get the message across, and perhaps this holds true to all religion.

Back