Sweet Caroline Intro or FF music?

'Sweet Caroline' definitely came first (by some decades), but the chances of that sort of song (and its style) influencing the music of Final Fantasy are relatively good. Nobuo Uematsu is well-known for passionately drawing inspiration from a wide range of musical genres (same with Soken too).

Although you are specifically referring to the first ten seconds, right? I feel like that rhythm (which I don't have name for, lacking musical expertise myself) is a repeated trope. For me, at first listen, I find it vaguely reminiscent of the FFVIII card game track 'Shuffle or Boogie', but it isn’t quite it.

I think there might be another FF track which sounds similar(ish) to this, but I can’t place it right now.

But then again, from 0:05 there is another element when the horn/trumpet begins, and that to me sounds a little bit like a different FF track entirely but, again, I can't place it off the top of my head. I'd imagine a track from the FFVI-FFIX era, if I was to hazard a guess.

-

I wonder if our resident music detective (PhilsPhindings ) can hear something we don't, or can notice similarities.

Back