Phils Game/Pop Music Similarities #165 - Environment-Unfriendly Infantry

PhilsPhindings

Gil
Featuring Final Fantasy 7 and marching music.

Greetings fellow game music lovers,

another sunday, another Final Fantasy day. The seventh entry in the series (1997) has been a little bit underrepresented so far, so make a small retour to correct this mistake. One of the more reminiscable songs of the game is the Rufus welcom ceremony theme which most people remember as a long series of grenades that clutter their virtual shelfes of shame:

The overall song is made up from marching music standards. I dug up some real world marches that have sequences comparable to this one. The best match so far is

"Honneur aux poilus d'orient" (honor to the infrantists of the orient) - Composer: G. Tailhades Composer: M. Fontaine

I don't know when this was composed exactly,early 20th century likely, but it's already on this 1958 album:

Smaller snippets of comparable design can also be found in other marches:

Marsz «Warszawianka» Karol Kazimierz Kurpiński (1831?):

Marcia Fulgida - Antonio Fuselli (before 1969):

Bonus: The sequence at 0:47 is also present in the 20th century fox theme which is also made up of fanfare and marching music:

Wednesday more Mario!

Phil out.

All three of the marching band tracks which you have cited are indeed very close to aspects of this track!

I'm not surprised that Nobuo would have researched anthems and marching music for inspiration. The Rufus Welcoming Ceremony theme really suits the scene in the game where it is primarily used: a military parade complete with weapon shuffling display. I can imagine that Nobuo probably enjoyed the novelty of a track like this.

The final video isn’t working anymore for me (I am over a month late to it), but I am familiar enough with 20th Century Fox to know the theme you are referring to off by heart.

Back