Penance

moi exorcismus

Al Bhed Terrorist
Gil
any reviews from the HARDEST BOSS IN FINAL FANTASY HISTORY?
Penance is only available in FFX International as well as the Dark Aeons.

Holy crap, don't remind me. Penance pissed the hell out of me. Countless times I have been subjected to Judgement Day and have been owned. Endless amounts of Megalixirs have been used, just to get through the first few turns. Literally, with 9999 HP, 999 MP, 225 ALL STATS excluding Luck (about 150) for ALL characters, this son-of-a.. still gave me a hard time. I hated those arms too, because it deals like Curse, Poison, Doom or something in one hit and the other deals Petrify, Slow and Full Break (Something like that, can't remember). I have to agree, Penance is probably the hardest boss in Final Fantasy history.

Took me 3 tries.. when I actually beat penance it was a 7 hour long battle, it was a great feeling afterwards though.

How I done it was every stat 230-255 apart from luck, my luck levels were in the region of 190 My HP was about 50k

When I got into battle I done everything I could to get rid of the arms so judgement day couldn't hit. To do that, I unleashed everyones overdrive and used Rikku's overdrive for hyper mighty G.

Once the arms were dealt with, the battle is pretty easy, but very long.

Use items to reduce MP consumption and make sure you have your fastest characters in play.

When you get the chance, use items to restore health etc.

Just keep destroying and keep your HP above 20k and you should be ok :)

Took me 3 tries.. when I actually beat penance it was a 7 hour long battle, it was a great feeling afterwards though.

How I done it was every stat 230-255 apart from luck, my luck levels were in the region of 190 My HP was about 50k

When I got into battle I done everything I could to get rid of the arms so judgement day couldn't hit. To do that, I unleashed everyones overdrive and used Rikku's overdrive for hyper mighty G.

Once the arms were dealt with, the battle is pretty easy, but very long.

Use items to reduce MP consumption and make sure you have your fastest characters in play.

When you get the chance, use items to restore health etc.

Just keep destroying and keep your HP above 20k and you should be ok :)

7 hours?! :O 50k HP?!! :omg:
I'm preparing to fight him eventually, but I wasn't planning on using Break HP Limit because I assumed he'd be able to deal 99,999 damage or more, so it would never be worth it - is that not the case? I was just going to use Auto-Phoenix and Auto-Life. So presumably you used Clear Spheres to make better use of the Sphere Grid?

7 hours?! :O 50k HP?!! :omg:
I'm preparing to fight him eventually, but I wasn't planning on using Break HP Limit because I assumed he'd be able to deal 99,999 damage or more, so it would never be worth it - is that not the case? I was just going to use Auto-Phoenix and Auto-Life. So presumably you used Clear Spheres to make better use of the Sphere Grid?

Auto-Haste, Auto-Potion, Auto-Phoenix, Break Damage Limit, Entrust, Quick Hit and Wakka's Attack Reels seem to be the best policy. (with auto-potion, make sure you 99 X-Potions to use, rathar than nornal or High Poitions)

Quick Hit your way passed the arms, entrust overdrives to Wakka, use his Attack Reels. Then once the arms are done continue the same stratergy.

Does FFX International Play The Full Game IN ENglish Like Regular FFX?

Mod Edit

Please keep on topic, if you have other questions feel free to make another thread if there isn't one already, thanks ;))

Last edited by a moderator:
omg... lmao.
well, there was me jus defeated all the dark aeons, including yojimbo how many times -.- lol, so after tha i thought i was untouchable, then tha hoe popped up n i was like "psh, da bish be gettin taken down". lol, went to her or him is it? lol, all stats maxed, best weapons fully charged or w/e it was, 60k health or so n got into the fight.... bout 2 mins in got slapped teh fook down lmao. shocked me so much tha i didnt go bak, stayin away from her :(

jk xD will be tryin agen soon like lol, any tips or hints would be much appreciated :D

You could always just kill it in about 2 seconds flat :lol: You have an Aeon capable of such a feat so it's not cheating.... You just need a rather large amount of Gil :lol:

You could always just kill it in about 2 seconds flat :lol: You have an Aeon capable of such a feat so it's not cheating.... You just need a rather large amount of Gil :lol:

Penance has a high zanmato level
meaning the chances of zanmato being used are slim (really slim)
Also, that gives no satisfaction whatsoever in my opinion It may not be cheating but its as good as

I haven`t came to Penance yet.
And that is one singel reason,
Jojimbo never taik Zanmato longer.
I have 1 000 000gil.
But before i know it he taik Kozuka, and Wa.....(Don`t remember the name)
Well, he attak before i have payd him, why?

Yojimbo will attack for free on occasion, depending on how much he "likes" you.

Here's the explanation:

Compatibility is the measure of your relationship with Yojimbo.
Assuming that everything else is equal, Yojimbo is more likely to use his best
attacks (Zanmato or Wakizashi) with a high Compatibility stat.

When you first acquire Yojimbo, his Compatibility is 128. The minimum value
possible is 0, and the maximum value is 255. It can change in the following
ways:

Action | Compatibility Change
----------------------------------------------------|----------------------
Yojimbo uses "Zanmato" attack | + 4
Yojimbo uses "Wakizashi" attack on all enemies | + 3
Yojimbo uses "Wakizashi" attack on one enemy | + 1
Yojimbo uses "Kozuka" attack | 0
Yojimbo uses "Daigoro" attack | - 1
You Dismiss Yojimbo immediately after summoning him | - 3
Yojimbo is KO'ed | -10
You pay Yojimbo 0 (zero) Gil | -20*

*-In addition to losing 20 points of Compatibility, Yojimbo automatically
Dismisses himself without attacking when paid 0 Gil.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

B. CALCULATION OF YOJIMBO'S ATTACK

(The International/PAL Yojimbo attack formula originally appeared in the
FFX Ultimania Omega Guide (Digicube/Studio Bentstuff). It was then posted
at the GameFAQs Secrets and Side Quests board by Olivier Hague. I have
added explanations to all the steps and I have changed the order of some
things to make it easier to follow, and the result is what you see below.)

Step Zero: Free Attack?

When Yojimbo's turn comes, he may attack immediately without asking for
payment. The chance of this happening is (Compatibility/1024). That
means when you first get Yojimbo, he has a 1 in 8 chance of attacking for
free, and if you max out his Compatibility, he has almost a 1 in 4 chance of
attacking for free. If there is a free attack, the type of attack is chosen
like this:

F = [Compatibility/4] + [0..63]

Value of "F" | (Free) Attack used
--------------|--------------------------------------------
80+ | Zanmato OR Wakizashi against all enemies*
64-79 | Wakizashi against all enemies
48-63 | Wakizashi against one enemy
32-47 | Kozuka
0-31 | Daigoro

*-if the Zanmato Resistance Level (explanation in "Step Four") of the enemies
is 1, then Yojimbo will use his "Zanmato" attack. Otherwise, he will use
his "Wakizashi" attack against all enemies.

If Yojimbo attacks for free, his turn is over and the calculation stops here.

If Yojimbo does not attack for free, he will prompt you for payment. From this
point, Yojimbo's attack will be determined by a parameter called "Motivation".
After you pay him, his Motivation is calculated and his attack is chosen.
The following steps explain the process.

Motivation starts at zero, and it resets each turn.

Here's the full explanation of Yojimbo and all the math that decides everyting:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/197344/24392

Well, I have just beaten him!

On my first attempt I was using armour with Ribbon and Break HP Limit. I managed to get quite far, but then made the mistake of summoning the Magus Sisters. Penance used Judgement Day on them and after that the arms killed my characters quite quickly.

On the second attempt, I used a strategy I saw on YouTube, with an armour made up of Auto-Haste, Auto-Protect, Auto-Potion and Defence+20%. This, to my surprise, allows the characters to survive Obliteration. If you use Ultra Nul-All you an also survive Immolation, and you never need to worry about healing because Auto-Potion takes care of that provided you only have X-Potions. Hence you always have full HP (9999). Use the Three Stars item to make all abilities cost 0 MP. However, I still failed on the second attempt, which I think was because of my reliance on Overdrives. I can't consistently get 3x2Hits with Attack Reels (I usually can, but occasionally not), and I also used Blitz Ace a few times, which significantly delays Tidus' turn. After nearly an hour, I was out of Overdrives and the other arm regenerated, and then Judgement Day...

On the third attempt, I used the same strategy, but avoided Attack Reels and Blitz Ace unless there was an emergency. This turned out to be perfect. I did use Attack Reels once in the first stage, to make sure that one of the arms did not get a turn. I used Ultra Nul-All twice (once with Auron in the party and once with Wakka) and Eccentrick twice for the same reason, but other than that, no other Overdrives were necessary. There was a consistent pattern: I killed one arm with six Quick Hits, then Dispelled the character that had previously been hit by Immolation in order to remove Armour Break, then I had either one or two turns to Quick Hit the body before the other arm regenerated. And this pattern repeated. I defeated Penance in about 1 hour and 5 minutes and received 44 Dark Matters, 12 Master Spheres and Solidity.

Back