[PC] Play your own music in the Regalia with FFXV Radio Tuner!

AuronX

aka LukeLC
Veteran
Gil
Edgar's Tent
FFXIV
L'ulech Tia
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
Gaia
Hey all! Thought folks around here might enjoy this since it's been getting some attention around the internet.

I'm pretty quiet around here these days due to having my own growing programming business, but occasionally I find time to write code for my own enjoyment and to learn new things by challenging myself. This typically means working on other games, and when FFXV released on PC, I was itching to see what I could do.

One of the most obvious challenges was to get the Regalia to play custom music. Although Square Enix has endorsed mods for FFXV on PC, they didn't exactly go out of their way to make it easy without official tools (which are on the way, but not here yet). While a little hex editing is all it takes to extract and repackage the audio files, they're all in HCA format, which is pretty much guaranteed to be incompatible with software already on your PC. In other words, it's not exceptionally difficult stuff to get at, but inconvenient for the average user.

That's where Radio Tuner comes in.

tuner-screenshot-106.png

Radio Tuner is a utility I wrote which can import, playback, export, and replace the Regalia's audio tracks in a couple of clicks. It also keeps backups of any replaced tracks which can likewise be restored at the press of a button, and logs all modifications so you can remember which track is what.

You can also import and export other audio tracks from the main game for your listening pleasure, but these are encoded differently and currently cannot be replaced.

Further details and downloads are available at Nexus Mods and on the Steam Community Group for FFXV. If you want to mess with cutscenes from Final Fantasy XV (and several other games!) you can also check out Vidsquish, which is another tool I wrote and provided the basis for Radio Tuner.

Enjoy!

Back