SPOILERS Let's Review: Final Fantasy XVI (Contains Spoilers)

Vivi-Gamer

Veteran
Gil
Vivi
Keeping in line with our other FF Boards, we need a place where people can talk about their experience with the game and review it!

Obviously due to the nature of the topic spoilers are allowed!
FF16BEAT.JPG

I've just beaten the game, as I sit here unable to sleep and reflect on it, I feel glad to have played it despite IMO their being more CONS than PROS with this release.

Pre-Release
I had a weird experience leading up to the release of XVI. For the most part I didn't have much anticipation at all. Part of this is due to the direction of the game as a medieval/hard-fantasy type setting - I don't usually care for these settings and it takes a lot of other decent qualities for me to really enjoy them. the other factor being that it is the lead creator of Final Fantasy XIV taking the helm for this project. I haven't experienced Final Fantasy XIV ( i don't care for subscription models, nor MMO's or silent protagonists in games), yet I still know of XIV's success as one of the better MMO's out there. Yet I was not sure whether an MMO Lead Dev would be able to wield a character driven story which is key to an FF experience for me.

I watched a couple of early trailers but non of the later ones nor did I play the Demo which had the opening of the game - I didn't feel I witnessed any Spoilers before playing.

Release
The opening was phenomenal, I was instantly captivated in the peril presented within game, I felt for Clive's character deeply after such a traumatic event. However, it was soon after I experienced the first hurdle with the game - The Map.

The Map
FF16MAP.JPG

The cutscene faded and we are presented with an interactive Map. Where all you can do is confirm the next place to go. Upon doing so I felt this was rather odd. Then, after the next area, I noticed the same thing happen - The Map appeared and I had to select where to go. I decided to trune back and see what would happen, I was presented with a thin blue line that would lead back to the Map Screen. It then dawned on me that this was how the whole game was going to be and my excitement plummeted! This Map Structure is one of the core aspects which ruin the game.

In previous FF games, you traverse the games world on your journey. For example in FFIX, You crash in the Sleeping Forrest, and the have to navigate through the Ice Cavern where you encounter the Black Waltz. After reaching the top of the cavern you reach Dali, where you then learn about poor Vivi's race, then the party proceeds to hop on an airship and reach one of the landmark cities - Lindblum. With this Map Structure, you don't get this sense of adventure - Which is key to any FF/JRPG experience! Clive & a few companions would get an objective at the Hideaway, then pop on a Map & be there. It felt like scenes in a movie rather than having us the player experience the journey - Which doesn't work well for an RPG within the Gaming Medium. There are moments where the characters will reach the end of an area, look into the distance and then the game have us go to a Map just to proceed, when the location isn't even that far ahead! It's even more obnoxious after a big story point, we get the Map prompt just to return to the hideaway rather than simply transitioning from one cutscene away to the next cutscene in the hideaway. I know i have spent a lot of time talking about this minor feature, but the problem is it wasn't minor and very intrusive to the games structure that left a very negative impression for me.

Combat
FF16SC-01.JPG

Onto the next portion of the game... this isn't going to be positive either folks! The gameplay in Final Fantasy XVI is action based, we all knew that going in but I did not expect it to be so uninspired! I've played Action-JRPG's & Action games & XVI's Combat system is so basic that it falls short in both regards.

The Combat lacks variety. I found the combat to be so simplistic in this game. Once I Unlocked Lunge and a few other Abilities it became the same Style for every encounter:
Standard Enemy - Hit > Knockback > Lunge > Ground Grapple = REPEAT
Boss Enemy - Hit > Stagger Half Way, use Garuda Pull > Garuda Specials > Hit if Stagger Bar isn't gone > Stagger Bar Gone, Spam Every Special! = REPEAT

This is what playing the game became, I could play most battles 1 handed as lunge would draw me towards any enemy out of range. The only time I had to pay attention was evading, which was easy enough. Much later in the game, they did add enemies that could cast protect, which made it a case of then just look out for the Mage in every battle.

This could have been avoided too. If the game had some variation that caused the player to react to the enemies different battle tactics, the problem is that the game lacked Elements within the combat! In typical JRPG fashion you have elements ICE is weak to FIRE etc. Yet the Combat Devs seemed to not grasp even these basics. I know Clive gained Eikon Powers yet their Elements had no efffect in battle - Nor would this be a reason for not including it in battle, if Clive has Ifrit powers Equiped that could have meant he was weak to Ice Elements & cause a defensive reason to cycle the Eikon Powers - Given the Combat MUCH MORE DEPTH!

The other point I have to make regarding Combat is enemy variation - or the lack of it. I have seen pallet-swapped enemies in many FF games before - Usually as extra monsters. The problem with XVI is that you often fight the same re-occuring enemies while on the main story path. There were times I would beat a Boss, say a Mage Orc, then 20 minutes later it will be the same Boss but this version is Akashic... I loathed seeing each enemy appear for the 4th or 5th time in cutscenes to the point where I would sigh - Of course the battle plan was no different than the previous encounter too.

Sidequests/Hunts
1689756824191.png

This has to be the biggest offense of the game - Every single Sidequest was generic!
Sidequest Structure:
A) Person Requests Item. B) Clive Encounters fight, then acquires item. C) Cliver Returns to Questmaster for reward.
WHO THINKS THIS IS GOOD GAME DESIGN?!

There were evenings I would dread even picking up the controller as I knew I would have a night of generic sideqquests ahead of me. It really brought down the interest/motivation for the game.

Occasionally some of the narratives around these quests would show interesting world building details like the wrongs of slavery but 9/10 times it was just pointless busy work.

Then there are the Hunts... I don't mind Enhanced Boss Battles but ever since FF has taken up this 'Hunt' Structure it has only lead to zero creativity to the biggest encounters within the game. With XVI, nearly ever one of these encounters are Pallet-Swap Monsters you've already beaten twice or thrice already! Like the sidequests it became a chore.

You could skip them but it takes up a lot of time within the game and is meant to be experienced - So much so it is the best way to get EXP in the game and Level Up!

FF Needs to become creative again with it's extra content! I want extras which intrigue me, which offer fun Mini-Games or extra Content that differs for the Structure of the main game - Chocobo Racing, Blitzball, Triple Triad, Heck even Gold Saucers Colosseum was more engaging than this. If sidequests are going to be this plain, I'd rather they just not being present at all.

Story
FF16SC-03.JPG

Okay... Now onto something I did actually enjoy! As I mentioned I was initially very concerned with XVI's style, it reminded me closest to XII which I didn't enjoy at all. Yet, XVI's Story is very well written for the most part! Everytime I was locked in a cutscene I was fully engrossed!

I always appreciate it when FF stories take Summons/Eikons seriously and boy did XVI succeed with that! I love the idea of each Kingdom using their Eikon & Dominant for battle - & even how they were often pawns just used for their power. It lead to a lot of interesting political dynamics within the world. Then their is Clives story & his conflict with his power the devastation it caused. Then to how he faces his inner deamons and learsn to accept his past and use his power for good - This is easily a top tier FF moment!

The story certainly took a few twists and turns, I liked what they did with Ultima overall - Even if a lot of his God Theory IS very similar to VIII's extremely understated planet origin. I did feel the themes of slavery and respected Cid/Clives ideals for freedom and liked how it was woven within the world and narrative within their confrotnation with Ultima.

There are some problems, for instance I was under the impression that the reason Clive would draw the power from each other Dominant was to become the Perfect Vessel... well, why is there an Eikon shown & mentioned in game, yet never appears - Leviathan. Leviathan is shown on the old Murals & very breifely mentioned in passing... without Leviathan being obtained wouldn't the Perfect Vessel be incomplete?
This reminds me of the same problem I had with Final Fantasy XV:
Where the story has Noctis visit the Tombs of his ancestor's to obtain their powers to utilise in battle going forward. At the start of the game this was the key objective of the journey. Then strolling in my car, I passed an interesting looking building, I pulled over to investigate - Only to find it was an optional Tomb... meaning that the Powers of Noctis' Ancestors was no longer relevant - this realisation broke the story for me & ruined the game.
This representive of power being a main plot point, only to be disregarded isn't as bad as XV's but it does make the story feel a little broken - Unless someone can tell me I'm wrong in my understanding of that structure.

Beyond that, I like Clive's companions, even if he never had a set party many of them were prsent/relevant to the story. I loved XVI's version of Cid as a mentor. Clive's bond with Gav really grew on me. I'm still not so sure on Jill & Torgal. i think as the player we encounter Jill again way to early & I wish we saw more of that battle of Shiva against Titan - It would have been more engaging to find her weak and have Clive realise who it was then.

I did enjoy the way Joshua was presented, i had no idea if he was alive or not and it was very compelling to learn of his journey and be reunited with him properly. The bond they had was very strong and touching - The voice actors did a brilliant job in conveying their feelings at such moments.The Voice acting overall was superb!

Music
It's hard to talk about the Soundtrack when it has only just been released but It was certainly memorable! The moment them piano keys hit in that battle with Shadow Clive really made that moment shine!

The only time the Soundtrack did irk me is the edgy rap song during the Titan Battle, with them 90's Synths going on... it was cheesy Funnily enough in the final phase of that battle there was a much better rendition with orchestra and choir.

The Summary...
This is a brilliant Final Fantasy Story stuck within a poorly made game!

There are a lot of design choices which I think have turned the series for the worse. I like Action games but the lack of an tact leaves the combat feeling the same. It's a very polarising entry for me as I enjoy all the aspects of the World, Story & narrative but hate playing the game & Final Fantasy is a game - This comes from someone who usually rates Story > Everything when it comes to FF.

So... who else has beaten the game, give us your first impressions or in-depth thoughts on the experience.

Last edited:
It's suprising how terrible the hunt-based side quests have been in FF games when they did them so well in FFXII, yet they constantly fail to repeat or improve on them.

About the gameplay, I had a feeling this was the case based on the demo. You have one combo and specials on cooldown, which is worsened by bosses beign very damage spongy. I expected better from a combat designer of DMC 5.

I'm probably gonna pass on this game alltogether, since the Game of Thrones inpired story and tone is a major sticking point for me.

There is so much to say about Final Fantasy 16.

I had zero expectations going in. I even thought the world looked bland and boring compared to other Final Fantasy games. But despite having zero expectations, the demo is what sold me. The gritty and unapologetically deadly world was a selling point. I even like how the story handles its Bearers/Branded better than Final Fantasy 13. There's more social aspects involved.

But that quickly dies down after destroying the first mother crystal. The story streamlines more of what you believe a standard JRPG is. There's less complications and it's all about just going one Mother crystal at a time. The game "tries" to hide its simplicity by adding more side quests as you play but it's not much.

There were so much death in the first stages of the game you think that the threat of death kept you at bay but thats all they were. Just threats. The second half is a more traditional JRPG. I didn't even expect a single main character to die for the majority of the game.

Even Vivian Ninetails felt unnecessary to explain the current state of the land as she would explain something really obvious.

If there was one thing that I absolutely detest in Final Fantasy (both modern and older) is the lack of effort trying to make their countries/nations more distinct and unique. Usually FF makes an effort to highlight only one country and that's it. Something I applaud FF12 is still unrivaled in.

Final fantasy 16 all looks the same except for desert areas. And I thought we were going to see giant cities and their mother crystal but we don't. We only visit the small towns.

It doesn't help that they simplify the kingdom names by the Duchy, the Empire, the republic. Which isn't helpful because Empires can have a Dutchy, Empire, Kingdom are all practically the same with only the Republic standing out.

There is an entire city in tact in the game and we have no way of exploring it. It's the same problem FF13 had where the game feels like a hallway and the important beautiful backdrops are just that, backdrops.

there's more to explore than ff13 but most of it is all the same plane terrain with little variation. No caves or tunnels to access as a shortcut.

But im wiling to forgive most of it if just had a really good lore. And FF16 had me very intrigued about its world. But the idea of a singular God creating humans and that very God being the true villain really dissipated any intrigue that was left. And although I knew Eikons and some deity was going to be relevant, having it be the literal God just oversimplified everything.

At one point very early in the game, they make it a point to mention that there was huge airships in the sky and they just one day randomly fell to the ground that now make up the ruins we see now. I thought they called attention to it so that we can explore more about what happened in the past. And more side quests hint at a past but when you complete the game, nothing was addressed in the main story. Some main events were also left unsatisfied. Characters like Barnabas and Anabelle Rossfield who had a lot of hype built up ended quite shortly.

Ff16 has so much potential to be more. We can see grand cities. We couldve explored ruins that are actually in-game and learn more especially since it is connected to the main villain but so much of it is untapped potential.

This is a rushed game. They didn't care to make the next main installment. This was Square Enix once again being desperate to streamline the mainline series.

The character design is all over the place. Great character design on the male ones but the females aren't consistent. Some look like they want to fit the world of ff16 and the others want to look like they're "Japanese". Every time Square Enix wants to try "western" it fails miserably. I won't even deny that ff12 wasn't perfect at it either.

Prostitution is a thing in this game but somehow the look plain and uninteresting. While other characters like Benedikta, Mid, and Clive/Joshua's mother all have the same face with little variation.

The music was pleasant and enjoyable in the overworked. Especially when it and this dark tone. But by the end of the game, they replace the overworked music with a more boring version. Almost like the game wants me to feel unsatisfied.

Back