Lesser Known Authors/Authoress

Noiseman

Ex-Soldier
Gil
I was just wondering if anyone knew any authors or authoresses that people don't seem to notice, for me it would be Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Okay, well, he is incredibly popular but not really by anyone my age so essentially I'm the only one in my whole school or friends who knows who he is or who has read any of his books. I think his major popularity was mostly during the 50's, so yeah, it's kind of understandable that not many my age would know him.

And maybe Hubber (the books are written by a wife and her husband so I'm just using their last name since it's what on their books and I don't know their first names), I remember reading Blue Fingers and the Ghost in the Tokkoida Inn (sp?) when I was a kid and loving it. I haven't read anything of theirs recently, though I do own Blue Fingers, but I loaned it to a friend and she lost it...

But anyone else know any authors or authoresses?

I agree that most great Authors go unnoticed just because they're not all mainstream, or even noticed by the teen population. Most of the greatest writers are those who start small, and once their work has been greatfully published, then and only then, do they get noticed by a majority of readers. One in particualr for me that really stands out is Brent Weeks - the Author of the Night Angel Trilogy.

He's really outstanding, and the way he plays out his story is so compelling it leaves me breathless every chapter i read. His description is so outstanding, it makes the others seem like "pish-posh". but seriously, he's outstanding - simply outstanding.

Robert E. Howard for me.

Funnily enough his most famous creation Conan the Barbarian has long since cemented his place in popular culture, but surprisingly few people seem to know that Conan the Barbarian isn't just a a movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Stephen King counts him among his favourite authors and Howard Philips Lovecraft was a friend and fan of the guy. Even Tolkien, the grand master of fantasy fiction, admitted to "rather liking" Robert E. Howard's stuff. Those 3 authors have all reached near legendary status, but poor old Howard still seem to go largely unnoticed.

It's a great shame really. Every fantasy reader worth his or her salt, should at the very least own a collection of Robert E. Howard's Conan stories. If you don't have that and Lord of the Rings, your collection isn't worth shit :P

I think, Katherine Paterson.
Though she's quite popular but not to many, most probably because she writes adventure books for children. One my favorite works of her is 'The Bridge to Terabithia' it's a beautiful but tragic tale about friendship. It was a best seller and got adopted to the big screen. Aside from that, her other great works are unknown to many, especially to most of my age and above, who prefers romance novels. (not me) I just hope for more people to read her works because they're really worth it.

Back