J.D Salinger

Saints&Storms

Don't make the mountain your enemy
Veteran
Gil
Auhtor of Books like The Catcher in the Rye, which went on to have a movie featuring Jerad Leto as the murderer of John Lennon, about his murder, and other such books as Nine Stories and others.

Salinger died of natural causes at his home in New Hampshire on January 27, 2010. He was 91. Salinger's literary representative commented to The New York Times that the writer had broken his hip in May 2009, but that "his health had been excellent until a rather sudden decline after the new year."The representative believed that Salinger's death was not a painful one.

Personally I love his writing, and I love Nine Stories and Catcher in the Rye (Although it is indeed a hard book to understand.)

But I just wanted to know every one else's opinions on him, so?

The Catcher in the Rye is one of my favourite ever books, and Salinger's passing was a sad one. It's also a real shame that he became a recluse after Catcher's publication, and as a result we got so little writing from him afterwards.

The Catcher in the Rye is one of my favourite ever books, and Salinger's passing was a sad one. It's also a real shame that he became a recluse after Catcher's publication, and as a result we got so little writing from him afterwards.

Yeah, but its quality not quantity that matters afterall, and yeah I was saddened to hear of his death also, I am glad I was able to read his work before his death though -_-

I've said this before, I'll say it again- Catcher in the Rye was one of the worst books ever published, and it's only because readers are so mystified by the thought of an old man pretending to understand how teenagers think that it's even included on required reading lists. Like many other horribly outdated and overrated "classics", it has a decent first 20 pages where an interesting idea and unique premise is established, and completely falls apart the rest of the novel. The writing is stale and obnoxious and the plot is naive and predictable. Put it right up there with Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison and A Separate Peace as evidence of how piss poor most authorship (and culture in general) was back in the 1950's.

Then again, Salinger made an entertaining inspiration for Finding Forrester, so I can't entirely dislike the guy.

I've said this before, I'll say it again- Catcher in the Rye was one of the worst books ever published, and it's only because readers are so mystified by the thought of an old man pretending to understand how teenagers think that it's even included on required reading lists.

The writing is stale and obnoxious and the plot is naive and predictable.

Matter of opinion I guess, but if you told me you KNEW that he was going to be in a mental institute at the end of the book I'd have to say I wouldn't believe you.

I certainly didn't see him thinking of killing his sister near the ending of the book.

That's not why I like the novel, I like it because it shows a realistic character who isn't happy go lucky all the time and yeah gets annoyed or hates people for things that they do - people aren't always going to always like everyone. Salinger was 32 when he wrote the novel hardly an old dude.

I actually enjoy this writer. He's unique and despite odd styles he keeps you interested.

MOD EDIT: Come on Cali, put a little more effort into the posts. Explain why his style is odd, perhaps. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO J.D. Salinger was an amazing person and I'm really sorry he passed :sad3: Catcher in the Rye was THE ONLY book I ever read in school that I didn't want to tear up into little pieces, I actually wrote a paper in its defense at one point because so many other (and crappier!) books with offensive content (A Farewell to Arms, The Scarlet Letter, etc.) were not on the banned list and CITR was :mokken: And I will never forget the scene in CITR towards the end where the protagonist was offended by the work "fuck" being graffiti'd onto a wall; I thought he was a very original character, and I love any author who shares my passion for running stereotypes into the ground :ryan: I'll have to get into more of his work, he will be sorely missed.

Its a shame to see such a great author pass...
I had to read this book to complete of my english exams and thoroughly enjoyed it even though everyone else in my class had to complain "its boring" or "its shit can we watch a film" but even through that I didnt want to stop reading CITR.
I thought that Holden was a very original character and that he was rather complex as in the fact he called others the phonies when it was really him who was the phony pretending to be something he's not by drinking and smoking.... :hmmm: sounds kinda like me if im honest but yeah still it is a great shame to see J.D Salinger pass...

I so want to see the movie, love Jared Leto. 3 of my exs read Catcher in the Rye, 1 even said it had changed his life. I myself have never read it and Ive never felt the urge to read it cause it just never appealed to me.

OH MY I LOVE THATBOOK TOO :) and the movie chapter 27? Hmmm. love it too.

[Mod Edit]: Let's try and put a bit more effort next time. =] Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back