Square Enix Game/Pop Music Comparison featuring Chrono Trigger

In the last Chrono Trigger article, the comparison of Yearnings of Wind with early 20th Century soldier songs (and interwar songs) like you provided is intriguing. For unrelated and less exact reasons it also reminds me a bit of the theme from the 1990s BBC TV series adaptation of The Borrowers.

As for the new Xenogears article, I can definitely hear a (at times rather close) similarity in the melodies of Xenogears’ ‘The Treasure Which Cannot Be Stolen’ and Riverdance’s ‘Lift The Wings’.

I find the information about the recorded connection Xenogears has with Celtic music quite fascinating, particularly the use of Joanne Hogg and Davy Spillane (which I didn’t know about). Square/Square Enix looking westwards for collaborations on music appears to have quite a heritage then.

The Xenogears Deus track you listed is now no longer available. I tried to find it in another clip but not sure if the timestamp matches in the version I found. That said, I think I could still trace the points you made!

I wonder if they were going for a ‘Deus ex Machina’ reference. Quite often, when more than simply the metaphor for the plot device, in popular culture the 'machine' aspect is creatively interpreted to mean man-made robot rather than the original theatrical contraptions.

As for the VGM Lounge video - that’s awesome! I like how it synchs / fades into tracks to make it easy to hear precisely where they compare.
I’m glad your Camouflage comparison made it into the video. That’s probably one of my favourites and is the first one you shared with us here.

Back