Final Fantasy Type-0 — One Year Later…

C i d

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil

Article from Final Fantasy Network:

Today marks the one year anniversary of Final Fantasy Type-0‘s release on October 27th, 2011 in Japan. Since then, prospects for localization have dwindled from “obvious” to “eventually” to “maybe” to “unlikely”. While Final Fantasy fans have largely accustomed themselves to localization announcements — Type-0 represents the first game in a very long time where we may go without.

So, what are some of the reasons why Square Enix hasn’t localized Final Fantasy Type-0? While no official comment has been made other than to watch for an announcements, fans have taken it upon themselves to speculate. Reasonable cases can be made out of the fact that the game has a wealth of written and spoken script, and not only would that result in a lengthy localization, but a costly one as well. Others point to the weakness in the handheld market — especially since Type-0 arrives at an uneasy transition between PlayStation Portable and PlayStation Vita.

For everyone anticipating Final Fantasy Type-0, it’s left us between a rock and a hard place. What can be done? Running out and buying a bunch of PSP or Vita handhelds is absurd, and so is silently waiting for an announcement a full year from Japanese release. Well, look at it from Square Enix’s point of view: the less they see people talking about the game, the less motivation there is to finally kick localization into gear. What point is there to lose money on a game no one pays attention to anymore?

Obviously those who have been following Final Fantasy Type-0 know what its strengths are; they know what about Type-0 appeals to them. At this point, the solution should be coming clear to you: we need to talk about the game. Not in a passive sense, not in a posting-your-rant-on-a-random-message-board kind of sense — tell Square Enix directly and respectfully why they should localize this game. Tell them why you’re excited and what about the game you want to experience — things they’ll be able to use in making a decision. Do that instead of griping that Square Enix “ain’t what she used to be”. That conversation benefits no one in this situation.

This game was previously known as Final Fantasy Agito XIII, Agito being a Latin verb for “act”.

It’s time to act.

Source: Final Fantasy Network

Mehh. It's really a shame that this game hasn't been localized yet. I mean, it seems like a no brainer to me. It looks like an absolutely fun && great game. I think that if Square-Enix worked towards localizing FF Type-O, fans would be less annoyed about the delay for Versus 'cause at least we'd have something nice and very different to play in the meantime.

Don't get me wrong - I'm in the minority who enjoyed playing FFXIII and FFXIII-2, but I can understand how annoying it may be for FF fans who aren't interested in that FFXIII universe/saga to see yet another game (Lightning Returns) supporting it 'cause that may only delay FFXIII Versus even more. -.-; (Wait, is it really still being called FFXIII Versus? Now that just seems weird since the FFXIII universe seems inhabited by Lightning & co.)

ANYWAY. Back on topic: Yes, I'd love to see it localized, preferably for the PS Vita, not PSP. I've never been an "activist" sorta person that would try contacting companies with my "demands" && whatnot, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt... At the end of the day, its still just a tweet or FB post, but I believe there's power in numbers. ((Why else do you think Square-Enix has been vacillating between making a FFVII remake or not? 'cause fans keep asking. If no one cared about FFVII, there'd be no Crisis Core, Before Crisis, Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus, etc. Those aren't enough for some FFVII fans though :p ))

Sorry for what appears to be a slightly off-topic rant. -.-; I felt it was relevant to mention FFXIII and FFVII 'cause they're related to the idea of how Square-Enix's resources may be tied up (FFXIII "trilogy"/ Lightning Returns) and how fans can sometimes influence companies to a certain extent (FFVII).

Back