FFX - The quest for a platinum

winksgaming12

Playing through the Final Fantasy Series
Gil
Hopefully, we can have some discussion around this as I endlessly grind looking for a Tonberry. I am currently going for platinum in this game as I wait for FF12 on the Switch.

Here is my post about it FFX - A quest for Platinum

But really interested in all of you. Have you gotten the platinum or what has caused you not to go for it? If you say the lighting dodging I swear I might pull my hair out, oh wait I did already!

I went for it, but didn't get it for two reasons. The first and more simple is that I started on the PS3. Problem is, it doesn't allow you to transfer your file to the PS4, without first transferring it to a Vita, which is just awful. I've bought that game three times now, and I spent well over 100 hours playing it on PS3 alone, so it feels like bull that I'm expected to start over again.

The other part is that getting the Platinum is genuinely awful. Not because of the Celestial Weapons (although a lot of that stuff isn't particularly great), but rather because of all of the superbosses added in the International version. Most of them are extremely poorly designed, with the difference between success and failure coming down to grinding. It's so hard to gauge exactly how strong you need to be for each individual Dark Aeon and Penance and whatnot. But if you're too weak, you can get stomped before you even get the option to move. Too strong, and the battle is absolute cake, since you can more or less just use Haste and spam Quick Hit or whatever. The game has some really good mechanical options, so it's an absolute shame that beating all of these superbosses amounts to grinding the same few arena bosses for 40 hours. Most of them have one optimal solution, and using anything else is just plain dangerous. So they're not that interesting to fight. It's honestly much smarter to just kill them all with Zanmato, since it can be exploited to come out consistently. But that isn't an engaging way to do the fight either. It's all just kinda pointless, especially compared to how good the Platinum is on other games in the series, like VII and XII. Heck, even XV's Platinum was far less of a grind.

I had FFX on the PS2, so it has been a while since I played it. But I did initially try to go for everything, I just never ended up being able to do it.

Yes, the Celestial Weapons were quite tricky and I didn't get all of them. I think it was more the fact that the tasks to get them required a lot of patience and were quite tedious and I just didn't have that kind of patience back then :P

I remember the most frustrating thing for me were the Dark Aeons. I just found them really hard! I probably wasn't leveled up enough but I couldn't beat any of them (I got close to beating Dark Valefor but that was about it). Leveling up just seemed to take ages and I think at the end of the day I just didn't want to spend that many hours on a game that I'd already finished. I moved on to FFXII shortly after I think.

I'm actually planning on getting FFX on the Switch. I may give it a go for platinum again, but I'll see how it goes.

I'm pretty certain you can transfer your Data from PS3 to PS4 - I know I did this when I wanted to move my completed PS3 save to PS4.

I have got the Platinum for both X & X-2, Which while challenging seems achievable compared to the sadist who made FFIX's trophies on PS4! The Dark Aeons really take FFX's combat mechanics to the next level, as someone who has always had them in the European Edition of X I can't imagine FFX without them. I remember very well idly returning back to Besaid Village to be utterly mauled by Dark Valfore. They're genuinely intimidating encounters (Really, when the Magus Sisters chase you down the Rocky Path I was genuinely scared as a kid, especially as how it fooled me there was NO escape!) and really do require a grind and for you to utilise the Sphere Grid to its maximum potential by filling up the Empty Nodes. Dark Yojimbo was the worst, I could never beat him 5x on the PS2 version, I mean I spent like for over 10 years of occasionally going back and trying but on the PS3 version I managed to finally do it! - Which I consider one of my bigger gaming achievements.

The Thunder Dodge Challenge is also just the worst, I advise turning the sound down so the background score doesn't distract the zen like moment you have to maintain while trying it.

Oh shoot, they must have reactivated the cloud services or something. I just transferred all of my files :D I remember hearing that they'd shut the servers off like a year after the PS4 version came out, meaning the only alternative was to manually copy them to a Vita, then to the PS4. And that made sense considering when I bought it on PS4 in December of 2017, I tried for like three weeks to get it to connect and it never did.

Cool, then I guess that means I can continue to slowly chip away at it.

Back