FFIII - Worth Getting?

^ I didn't find that to really be much of a problem though, I don't think the game was really all that hard. And yes, this means I've gotten through the entire game. :P

But yeah, I guess if you get a little ahead of yourself in a dungeon while you are underleveled, then run into the boss, that could be slightly problematic, I suppose. But I never rushed into a potentially tough battle, I come prepared, I am that way in general with RPGs, I have a habit of overleveling. >.>

Anyways, the game is quite enjoyable though imo, and I am glad it is beatable and not ridiculously tough, this ensures the player will be able to see the game through to the end, without getting to some point that they physically cannot defeat a certain boss. xP

I think there are some bosses that are a bit much in FFIV, some that are "ridiculously tough", some of the four elemental fiend things can be a major pain. Tbh, it took me over an hour to defeat one of them with some Action Replay codes, I think that is a bit much. '<_<

None of that in FFIII though, just a fun game to play through and enjoy here, so I'd say it is worth getting, for sure. If you want a real good challenge though, I'd say graduating to Final Fantasy IV would be a good way to go, also a really good game, really enjoying it on the NDS, it even has some voices in it. ;)

I am going to have to say FFIII is worth getting as the job system, bosses, and of course the last boss (I'm not going to show any spoilers so im just going to call it the ''last boss''). All these things make FFIII extremely entertaining and fun and will get you to keep playing until you finish it.

If they were selling the original version in English I would buy, but unfortunately the original Final Fantasy III is a Japanese game for the Super Famicom. Plus, I am not really a fan of portable game systems anymore.

I really enjoyed FF3. It got a bit easier once I decided to turn most of my crew into geomancers (always keep a white mage healer). Many say there was no storyline, but that is not true. Sure, it's not nearly as involving as FF6, but there is a storyline. Personally, I think it has the best death/tragedy song in all of the Final Fantasies. Not to mention at some point, the DS version plays The Black Mages!

Kick-ass game. Loved it. Buy it, since it's generally very cheap.

I have beef with FFIII. The job system is ok, but not as good as FFV where you can carry on certain traits from other jobs. The graphics are nice, but the shallow story and dialogue shows it's age_ which is old as hell. Nonetheless, it's worth getting if you're a fan of the classics.

When I finally got around to getting this game on the DS (about time it got a NA/EU release :P) I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Being the kind of person who obsessed over the classic games (not just in FF, but of any long lasting series), I wasn't too fussed over the story. The fighting system is rather outdated (pre-ATB) but not as sporadic as those in FF and FFII. The game played well, some challenging sections, but overall I found it a rather rewarding game. The job system added a depth that I felt was missing from FF (haven't played much of FFII... yet so can't judge). Only thing that bugs me about the DS version is the way you have to go about getting the Onion Knight, as I have no Wi-Fi near by.

P.S. Sorry for my poor grammar and format. I'll rectify it in future posts, when I'm not half asleep :)

Is the DS remake better than the original? I'm just wondering.

I haven't played either but looking at screenshots, III kind of looks like a cool game.

I just thought I'd ask how the DS version might be in comparison to the NES version, since I don't like the idea of paying $20 or more for a game that plays like an NES game. Not sure whether I'd rather have the IV remake for DS or the III remake, you see.

Last edited:
Um... but isn't the NES game only released in Japan? Also, I played the game. It feels very... generic at parts, but it's still fun. I suggest you should just go straight for the DS game if you want to play it. The only complaints I have with it is the cardboard cutout characters. Not much backstory. But it really is an easy-going Final Fantasy game. I think if you really enjoyed Final Fantasy I or even V, this game would be awesome.

Um... but isn't the NES game only released in Japan?
I don't know. But if anyone does want to get it, I think it's on Wii's Virtual Console. I'm not for sure on that though.

Wikipedia:
Release date(s)

Family Computer
  • JP April 27, 1990
Virtual Console
  • JP July 21, 2009
No other release dates for other consoles.

Nintendo DS release dates:

Okay, so you proved me wrong.

So I guess if I want to play III, getting the DS version is my only real option. Because at the very least, even if I was able to play it, I'd still probably have to know Japanese.

Yes... Sometimes I doubt whether or not the Final Fantasy III we get on the DS is the... ACTUAL remake, or they just made up something totally different to satisfy our craving for FFIII back in the day...

I liked it even after I played it s long after its original release. I miss having classes you can change into..that was fun

Last edited:
Depends if you like the whole job system and can bare with a lackluster story.
Still great fun though.

Its a decent game to pick up and use to kill time. The story is nothing special, but the job system is kind of fun. I think the allure of this games has more to do with it being an old FF.

Back