FF Music Earthbound Papas (Uematsu's new project)

VinnieJones

綺羅星☆
Gil
For those who are not aware, The Black Mages have officially split up and will no longer be performing.

However Nobuo Uematsu has formed a new band called the Earthbound Papas and they have started rehearsing. According to Uematsu's Tweets, "Earthbound Papas will play FF tunes TBM has never played before!".

They are scheduled to play at Shibuya DUO on October 30th, where "We'll play music from this and that games!", suggesting that they will be looking into other video game titles other than FF with their music. Their style is similar to that of TBM. They performed Dancing Mad (FFVI) with The Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra and Elmhurst College Concert Choir in the Distant Worlds II album. You can hear it here.

He has also promised on his Twitter that EB will perform Liberi Fatali (FFVIII) in their upcoming show. I'm getting quite excited with this as a huge fan of TBM's music.

I'll put in some updates whenever I get them, and please feel free to contribute some news about EB if you obtain any.

Mods, feel free to move this thread to wherever approriate (SE Twitter feed news or something) if required.

I heard about The Black Mages disbanding earlier this week, and I was really sad about it. Wasn't it due to scheduling conflicts and copyright issues with SE? If so then how can this new project not face the same concerns?

I've not heard of the new Earthbound Papas project until now, and I'm glad that Nobuo hasn't abandoned the idea of a band to play rocky remixes of video game music.

I skipped through Dancing Mad and I think that it is very cool. I didn’t think that the epic guitar solo at the end could get any better than the TBM version, but with vocals carrying it through it was epic in other ways. It is great to hear the actual singing in this version with an orchestra. I really like it, but I think I still prefer The Black Mages' version. This version is powerful in a variety of other ways though.

Regardless, I'm glad that a new project is in the works. Is anyone aware of who the other band members are? Are any of The Black Mages line-up also going to be present in this new band?

Another FF dedicated band? I thought he'd write original songs for a change. It would be interesting to see what kind of compositions the man can come up with that is specifically written for a band (Otherworld does not count). Oh well :monster:

He hasn't really announced much aside from the upcoming show or Dancing Mad, so whether there'll even be an album released is unknown. But seeming as he's officially announced the project, planning to sell merchandise like T-shirts at their show and that they're going to perform Liberi Fatali means they'll hopefully be able to go on without much problem. Even if there might not be any studio albums they may make a few cameo appearances on some remix-compilation albums.

I wouldn't really mind if it's not just FF remixes from this band.

I presume the members will be musicians hired on Nobuo's record label (Dog Ear Records), not SE members, but nothing's been announced there.

Here's Nobuo announcing the band, back in April:

And the band's logo

earthboundpapas.jpg

EDIT: He's announced that they will be performing One Winged Angel, WITHOUT an orchestra. A band-only version.

Last edited:
Back