Does Limit Glove 'break the game'?

tommy_123

Gil
Hi all (first post)

Haven't played FF9 since I was 10 years old (now 27!)

Felt like a play through of it again; though have subsequently read about Limit Glove dealing 9999 and phoenix downs and auto life etc.

Didn't know this as a kid....does using this break the game and make it too easy? Really disappointed that it sounds like it can be a breeze, I remember struggling at points.

TBH I didn't know about it till I was older. I wasn't an avid Quina user so that might have been the other problem (When I was younger my party solely depended on who I liked as opposed to functionality.)

As far as it feeling like it's 'breaking the game', I guess I can understand what you're saying, however even though you can access Limit Glove fairly early on you don't really get Auto-life till a little later. Using a phoenix down loses a turn and you're risking loosing Quina since you have to maintain that 1 HP. I feel that by the point you get Auto-life the monsters/bosses would be a little harder and provide a balance maybe? I don't think it's an easy of an out as you think.

Well, that's just my opinion anyway. It would probably be nice to have when you go to the Earth Shrine to fight the Earth Guardian with just Zidane and Quina in your party at any rate.

Though surely even before auto-life I could simply save before each fight and revive Quina to have 1hp through a phoenix down anyway?

I suppose if you want to go through the trouble.

I feel like if you're playing the game for the first time ever then you're probably going to gloss over this on your first run, unless you're using a guide. Additionally, as I said earlier, the enemies (or at least bosses) require more damage to be dealt than one round of Limit Glove. You might breeze through the first part of the game but maybe not as easily afterwards. It's funny because I think Quina has a bit more overpowering merits to him/her than just Limit Glove.

(Also, isn't Quina in your party sporadically through the first part of the game?)

Anyway, this game has a lot more features/sidequests to offer as opposed to just plowing through it; I don't feel like this will prevent you from enjoying your playthrough.

Didn't know this as a kid....does using this break the game and make it too easy? Really disappointed that it sounds like it can be a breeze, I remember struggling at points.

Personally I don't think this game is that difficult without using Quina at all, but everyone plays differently of course. If you haven't played this since you were a kid I think you might be surprised at your playthrough and how much easier it might be. If you're worried about it being too easy then challenge yourself and don't obtain the move (or use Quina?) I think at the end of the day you're there to enjoy a good story, but how you get to the end is dependent on you.

For the first part of the game, party members are changed up a lot so you won't have Quina that much (been a while since I played). I honestly don't think I've ever used limit glove even when Quina was in my party. I guess it could be useful but unless you're doing a low-level playthrough or speedrun, you probably won't need it.

Back