~Conventions~

Ayatai

Sorceress Naminé
Gil
To start off. I have not made a thread in such a long time so I'm not sure exactly how to start this. But my main idea was to have a spot to be able to talk about conventions, post photos and possibly if others live near each other and want to meet at such a place, this would be an area we could talk about that.

For myself, the only convention I have been to since 2010 (So like 11 years since they were closed one year for covid) would be AMKE (Anime Milwaukee), I love going there to see everyone cosplaying since I don't have the money or skills to make myself one, I love to go to see others as well as the panels and voice actors that come as guests. As well as the shopping area and the gaming area that they have there (May it be card / console)

Back in 2013, I also had the privilege to meet Nobou Uematsu. For those being a final fantasy forum, I do hope you know who that is. He is well known for composing most of all Final Fantasy music. I was allowed to take a photo of him, hence I could have taken one with him but I rather preferred having one of just himself.

560350_4821248523784_79409004_n.jpg

I haven't been to a convention in forever! But the one time I went was a bunch of fun and I even attended a panel or two from a few comic makers & picked up a few tips that I still use from time to time! I attended Anime Central (Rosemont, IL) uuuuuhhh probably over 10 years ago now, since I was in high school, but I saw a lot of amazing cosplayers and some... not so amazing :lew: lol. I'm sure AC is a lot bigger now than it was 10+ years ago but I've got really bad anxiety in large crowds so I tend not to go and do those things anymore. I will say I did see two amazing & awesome cosplayers at that event though - There was a Kimahri (FFX) cosplayer and an amazing Ryuk from Death Note. Both were girls all decked out in body paint and all the fine details; really cool! I even got some really cute merch from one of the vendors but I was put off when I kept hearing them increase the price depending on who they were talking to. But I guess that's typical for this kind of event. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's funny because I just recently sold that march online since I wasn't really attached to the anime that they were from, they were really just cute plush.

I really wish Kupocon would have some more stuff over here and a bit closer than New Jersey since it's about a 14 hour drive from my location. Rest assured if one popped up in the Chicago area I'd attend, my box of anxiety and all!

Back in 2013, I also had the privilege to meet Nobou Uematsu. For those being a final fantasy forum, I do hope you know who that is. He is well known for composing most of all Final Fantasy music. I was allowed to take a photo of him, hence I could have taken one with him but I rather preferred having one of just himself.

View attachment 11925
That's so cool! I got to see Nobuo Uematsu (at a distant (:wacky:) ) when I went to see Distant Worlds on two different occasions. It was enough for me since I really felt to awkward to do any meet & greet, but I really would love an autograph in the future. Because of his health I'm not sure if that's a reality anymore, but I was very stoked to see him as close as I did at DW anyways :-)

Before KupoCon I had only really attended a small handful of conventions. London Super Comic Con, MCM in Birmingham, Star Wars Celebration (when it went to London) and EGX. Typing those out makes me realise that I must have gone to more than I remembered. I’ve ‘met’ Stan Lee (albeit briefly—as he signed a book and smiled at me across a massive table flanked by a security team), I’ve met and spoken with the writer Paul Cornell, and at EGX I had a decent conversation with the then lineup of PlayStation Access.

KupoCon changed my opinion on what I want from conventions entirely though. I no longer like MCM and dislike paying to become a sardine for an entire day and not really engaging with people. At MCM I find it was too packed with people doing their own thing, and the panels can be difficult to get into, and the guests are trapped behind tables with queues snaking all over the place. (I did manage to speak with the actor who played Biggs Darklighter in Star Wars though, which was cool for me for personal, Final Fantasy relevant reasons).

KupoCon is not like that. It is much more intimate. While you need to queue and pay to get autographs with the guests, they aren’t confined to their tables and do sometimes mingle with attendees. The panels are also pretty much open to anyone without disappointment, schedule-willing. I'm friends with the organisers, I’ve sat down and drank with some of the voice actors, and so on.

Over the eight (I think?) KupoCon events that I have attended in the UK (there are events in North America and soon elsewhere too), I have met so many people. From Final Fantasy XV I have met the English voice actors for Noctis, Prompto, Ignis, Libertus (Liam Mulvey does the voice, motion capture, and is the actual face of Libertus), and Drautos, as well as the motion capture actor for Pelna and the likeness and motion capture actor for King Regis. From FFXIII I have met the voice actresses for Lightning and Fang. From FFXIV I have met the voice actors behind Raubahn, Alphinaud, Alisaie, Urianger and Thancred. From FFVII Remake I have met the voice actors behind Barret and Aerith.

That's just the actors. There have been community guests (former Square Enix employees) and also some of the musicians behind Kingsglaive's soundtrack who performed live at one of the events I attended.

A good haul for sure. All lovely people. John Bentley (Barret) was a special treat. Really enjoyed my time with XIV’s guests too. I had some decent conversations with them during the evening events.

This post only scratches the surface, to be honest.

I do have some photos but at this exact moment cannot really access them. And I'm not sure if people would even want to see them. :argor:

560350_4821248523784_79409004_n.jpg
Meeting Nobuo is a dream of mine! He seems so nice and has an infectious smile.

I haven't been to a convention in forever! But the one time I went was a bunch of fun and I even attended a panel or two from a few comic makers & picked up a few tips that I still use from time to time! I attended Anime Central (Rosemont, IL) uuuuuhhh probably over 10 years ago now, since I was in high school, but I saw a lot of amazing cosplayers and some... not so amazing :lew: lol. I'm sure AC is a lot bigger now than it was 10+ years ago but I've got really bad anxiety in large crowds so I tend not to go and do those things anymore. I will say I did see two amazing & awesome cosplayers at that event though - There was a Kimahri (FFX) cosplayer and an amazing Ryuk from Death Note. Both were girls all decked out in body paint and all the fine details; really cool! I even got some really cute merch from one of the vendors but I was put off when I kept hearing them increase the price depending on who they were talking to. But I guess that's typical for this kind of event. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's funny because I just recently sold that march online since I wasn't really attached to the anime that they were from, they were really just cute plush.

I really wish Kupocon would have some more stuff over here and a bit closer than New Jersey since it's about a 14 hour drive from my location. Rest assured if one popped up in the Chicago area I'd attend, my box of anxiety and all!

That's so cool! I got to see Nobuo Uematsu (at a distant (:wacky:) ) when I went to see Distant Worlds on two different occasions. It was enough for me since I really felt to awkward to do any meet & greet, but I really would love an autograph in the future. Because of his health I'm not sure if that's a reality anymore, but I was very stoked to see him as close as I did at DW anyways :-)

Yeah. I love going to this con each year since I don't have to go very far for it. It's usually just a bus ride downtown or they do have parking spots we can pay for the weekend. The only thing that sucks about it is that it is held usually in Feb. when its pretty chilly out. But most years its still been pretty packed no matter the weather and the Wisconsin Center downtown is also linked to a hotel (Hyatt) so it does make it easier for many not to have to walk through the cold weather. I also can see why though you haven't been to one in years because of anxiety. I get that. I have friends who deal with that same issue as well. I though can maybe say if you had your own group of friends to be with it might make it easier, but I'm not entirely sure about that. Most the time everyone is very kind as well at this con. It seems that my area is actually a bunch closer than New Jersey and yes a KUPOCON would be nice to have in this area as well. I am also thinking one of the years you may have seen him was because also back in 2013 he was actually around the area because of Distant Worlds concert I believe.
Before KupoCon I had only really attended a small handful of conventions. London Super Comic Con, MCM in Birmingham, Star Wars Celebration (when it went to London) and EGX. Typing those out makes me realise that I must have gone to more than I remembered. I’ve ‘met’ Stan Lee (albeit briefly—as he signed a book and smiled at me across a massive table flanked by a security team), I’ve met and spoken with the writer Paul Cornell, and at EGX I had a decent conversation with the then lineup of PlayStation Access.

KupoCon changed my opinion on what I want from conventions entirely though. I no longer like MCM and dislike paying to become a sardine for an entire day and not really engaging with people. At MCM I find it was too packed with people doing their own thing, and the panels can be difficult to get into, and the guests are trapped behind tables with queues snaking all over the place. (I did manage to speak with the actor who played Biggs Darklighter in Star Wars though, which was cool for me for personal, Final Fantasy relevant reasons).

KupoCon is not like that. It is much more intimate. While you need to queue and pay to get autographs with the guests, they aren’t confined to their tables and do sometimes mingle with attendees. The panels are also pretty much open to anyone without disappointment, schedule-willing. I'm friends with the organizers, I’ve sat down and drank with some of the voice actors, and so on.

Over the eight (I think?) KupoCon events that I have attended in the UK (there are events in North America and soon elsewhere too), I have met so many people. From Final Fantasy XV I have met the English voice actors for Noctis, Prompto, Ignis, Libertus (Liam Mulvey does the voice, motion capture, and is the actual face of Libertus), and Drautos, as well as the motion capture actor for Pelna and the likeness and motion capture actor for King Regis. From FFXIII I have met the voice actresses for Lightning and Fang. From FFXIV I have met the voice actors behind Raubahn, Alphinaud, Alisaie, Urianger and Thancred. From FFVII Remake I have met the voice actors behind Barret and Aerith.

That's just the actors. There have been community guests (former Square Enix employees) and also some of the musicians behind Kingsglaive's soundtrack who performed live at one of the events I attended.

A good haul for sure. All lovely people. John Bentley (Barret) was a special treat. Really enjoyed my time with XIV’s guests too. I had some decent conversations with them during the evening events.

This post only scratches the surface, to be honest.

I do have some photos but at this exact moment cannot really access them. And I'm not sure if people would even want to see them. :argor:

Meeting Nobuo is a dream of mine! He seems so nice and has an infectious smile.

I would love to see your con photos!! Anyone's actually. Feel free to share too!!~ And I have met pretty much all the main cast of FFXV. Adam Croasdell actually has come to AMKE for the past 3/4 years now and he is just mmm xD I can show a photo of the signed FFXV case when we get the chance. They did it all in gold sharpie on the cover xD Would love to meet John Bently one of these days. There are a lot. I have to look back. I can though post a list of the past guests. We actually this year too got to finally meet Johnny Young Basch. If you don't know who he is, he was also known as being the Black Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger Adam Park, after Zach left. He is also best known for his dub voicing of Ichigo from Bleach as well as many others.
I would have loved to meet Stan Lee but unfortunatly we never got the chance. May he rest in peace. Excelsior.

Here is the link to show the past year con(2022) and you can scroll down to select the other years to see who was there

It's fun to see how much this con has grown since starting in '08

Last edited:
Back