A review of Final Fantasy 9

winksgaming12

Playing through the Final Fantasy Series
Gil
What a game this has been! I finally got to a point this year where I am able to write again. Although we are just going to weekly posts again I decided my first one of 2019 needed to be Final Fantasy 9!

Come check out the review here!

Final Fantasy 9 Review

I'm sorry I'm a bit late reading this one.

This game really had a special place in my heart so it is good you feel the same. This is a fair review! I forgot about the poor speed of the battles so it was interesting to be reminded of the game's flaws too.

I'm also glad that you picked up on and enjoyed the existential themes about life and death (with Vivi, the Black Mages, Kuja and more). This is quite prominent to me in FFIX and yet I don't think people discuss it as much as they should.

Thanks for the shout out for FFF too!

Everyone working for or with this site deserves the credit. You all do a fantastic job!

As much as I wanted to just gush over this game like a little school girl getting cake on the buffet. I had to be more subjective and point out the flaws, but they didn't distract me or overpower the game and its story. There may be some lack of side quests or poor battle speed but the game itself is powerful and one that has always been a favorite of mine.

I am very glad to be a part of this community, and I am very appreciative of your support!

The most underrated Final Fantasy ever created.

________________________________________________________________________________

I think it was the most underrated 10-15 years ago, but I don't think it is anymore. Its reputation has grown over the years and the naysayers seem to have drifted away somewhat. I'd argue it's now the most popular game outside of FFVI/FFVII

Great review! I don't really agree with the Garland/Necron thing but it sure does get me thinking! There's a lot people can do with the whole Necron situation, honestly. A lot of people use it as an excuse to throw shade at FFIX, but I always kind of liked it. A little added flavor of mystery to send you off with, or something.

I think it was the most underrated 10-15 years ago, but I don't think it is anymore. Its reputation has grown over the years and the naysayers seem to have drifted away somewhat. I'd argue it's now the most popular game outside of FFVI/FFVII

Agreed. As a long-time fan of FFIX, I remember getting a lot of verbal abuse and ridicule for even so much as liking the game. Usually it was by fans of VII. Because of this I ended up avoiding forums, review sites, youtube videos, the whole nine yards, because so many people were saying they HATED the game, and that FFVII was 'a hundred times better' or some fanboy drivel. Even bringing it up in real life would get me lambasted. But the hate died down over time and eventually I started seeing more people coming out with positive feedback, and in turn that made me more open about it too. There is a stark difference between then and now.

One of the biggest things that made me fall for my wife was her love of FF9, as it is my favourite by a long way too. I'll be honest, I don't like the Necron finish, it's definitely my least favourite part of the game, the next least favourite is the battle speed, also mentioned. But my word, the world building, the music, the characters, absolutely spectacular.

Back