[05/12] Yoshinori Kitase: "I can’t say [Final Fantasy VII Remake] is completely action-based"

Linnaete

sus
Staff member
Editorial Staff
Veteran
Gil
Andre the Adamantoise
Chocobo Egg
Accessory (Head)
Accessory (Arms)
Build-A-Member
Chocobo Egg
FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
[05/12] Yoshinori Kitase: "I can’t say [Final Fantasy VII Remake] is completely action-based"

fg1jxrzhtro5r.jpg

Debut gameplay footage of the Final Fantasy VII Remake is all over the internet after today's PlayStation Experience keynote presentation and now tears flowing down people's cheeks are either of joy or commiseration. With the game being such a talking point as it is this weekend, it's time for an interview with producer Yoshinori Kitase. In a series of "conversation" videos ran by Sony, Kitase has this to say:

“I can’t say the new game is completely action-based, but it has more of that element and real-time than the previous game.

“The hardware itself has evolved since the release of Final Fantasy VII, and the games are more real, and real-time based. The previous Final Fantasy VII was a command-based RPG that utilized active-time-battle. Real-time and GMC are the trends these days.

“However, what makes Final Fantasy and RPG different from other games is that the players have the ability to choose weapons, capabilities and magic to be strategic minded, so while the new game has more real-time element, it will also maintain that strategy building element, balancing these two factors perfectly to enhance the gaming experience.

“The game is still in development, and we have not fully grasped all the abilities of and upgrades made to PlayStation 4. The graphics are superb on PlayStation 4, and more polygon volume is available to make it better.

“The way we harnessed the power of the PlayStation 4 was to maintain the graphic quality of characters like Cloud, Tifa, and Aerith in the movie called Advent Children in our game, and this was the starting point. So, what we’re aiming for with the Final Fantasy VII Remake is to have the same quality of these characters in real-time while playing the game, and this is only achievable with PlayStation 4.”

Nova Crystallis

That's an interesting thought. I hope they keep both Aerith and Tifa's hair its original length. Not just one character because there's "less of her until...." :lew:

I really don't care all the much. GothicSyn said it very well the other day, people need to see it as a game on its own, it's not going to replace our original FFVII that we love.

Kitase looks very excited to bring FF VII to the state of PS4 graphics. Personally, I'm glad he has confirmed it isn't entirely action, even if it is action more than anything else. I'm not sure if we will have both parties (the action vs turn based people) agreeing that the Remake is going to be great here, but at least he hasn't completely ruled out what people loved from the original. If, on the other hand you were expecting a complete makeover in turn based like the original, you were only setting yourself up for disappointment. I am excited to hear more and I am glad SE is passionate about the project.

Back