Zack vs. Cloud: Who's Stronger?

Dreamer- Ahem...Sephiroth was just toying with Cloud, as stated by the creators. I just thought I'd get that out of the way early on. Anyway...

As of the end of Advent Children, I consider Cloud and Zack to be equals. That's one of the underlying themes of the Final Fantasy Compilation, if you pay attention to it. I really don't see either one being weaker or stronger than the other, simply considering how the two of them are portrayed and presented to us throughout the Compilation. It's a bit difficult to describe, but Cloud really seemed to have reached a certain plateau by the time Advent Children came around, if that makes any sense. I think this is one of those times where being the main character simply gives Cloud an advantage. By that I mean that one of the messages the creators were trying to portray was that Cloud had grown significantly since the beginning of Final Fantasy VII.

Throughout FFVII, Cloud constantly talks about having the strength of a 1st Class SOLDIER, but I don't really think he had the skill to back that statement up, at least not at the beginning of the game. In the first part of FFVII, I'd consider Cloud to be a bit stronger than the average 3rd Class SOLDIER. He fights well enough to make people think that he really was a member of SOLDIER at one point in time, but he definitely isn't as strong as Zack. Around the end of Disc 1 (or halfway through the game), I'd say that Cloud has the strength of a 2nd Class SOLDIER. He's bound to have gained a bit of skill with the blade, whereas he had to rely primarily on raw strength before due to his overall lack of experience with a sword.

Towards the end of the game, when Cloud "discovers" himself during his dip in the Lifestream, I'd say that's when Cloud finally gains the strength of a 1st Class SOLDIER. Remember, the one thing preventing him from getting into SOLDIER in the first place was the fact that he doubted himself. Physically, he qualified for SOLDIER, but the candidates must qualify physically and mentally to actually get in. It's like any athlete or soldier in real life; if their heads aren't in the game and they don't have confidence in their abilities, their performance will suffer. Once Cloud conquered the mental aspect of himself, he became a stronger fighter.

However, you also have to remember that Zack was above and beyond the average 1st Class SOLDIER. He wasn't just 1st Class material, he was well above that. He was, after all, described as the 2nd best SOLDIER after Sephiroth. In other words, if there were another level above 1st Class, that's where Zack and Seph would've been. So, while Cloud most certainly had come a long way by the end of FFVII, I'd say that he still fell a bit short of Zack. This guy was just something else. He took out a small army of ShinRa MPs and three SOLDIERS (all of whom had air support), proved himself superior to Angeal, defeated Genesis in his prime...Zack was definitely more impressive a fighter than any other normal 1st Class SOLDIER.

Even so, Nomura did say that Cloud had ascended to a higher level than he achieved at the end of FFVII during Advent Children. Towards the beginning of AC, I'd definitely say that he was significantly weaker due to Geostigma. Even so, once he lost the Stigma (and also his self-doubt), that's when I think he became Zack's equal. Cloud's growth as a person and as a combatant have just been such a large focal point of the Compilation, I don't really see how he could still be weaker than Zack, from a logical standpoint.

Realistically, though, there's no way of definitively proving who's stronger. The two have both done some impressive stuff in the past to the point where they're too close to compare without bias effecting the answer. That's my real reason for writing them off as equals. They're so very close that it's basically impossible to say which is stronger without sounding like a fanboy of one of them.

Well done. You definately have some very good points, and im happy we agree on alot of things.

Well...that was pleasant. I didn't honestly expect a debate to be resolved so easily. Yes, I'm glad we've reached an agreement as well.

...I really don't know how I can stretch this post into multiple paragraphs...*cough* I'm honestly not used to people being so agreeable in debates.

I don't think it's really possible to be "wrong" in this case. You could make an argument for either Cloud or Zack and support it with hard facts from the Compilation. That's the only reason why I write them off as equals. I mean, for everyone who says "Zack is better because he beat Genesis," there's going to be someone else who replies with "Well, I think Cloud is better because, even with Geostigma, he put up a fight against Kadaj, Yazoo, and Loz." Both arguments make perfect sense given the appropriate point of view, so it's really quite difficult to argue in favor of either Cloud or Zack without coming across as a bit biased. That's the only reason I consider them equals.

But wasn't Sephiroth stronger dan Genesis and Angeal? Di fact is Zack couldn't defeat di strongest of di three and cloud did. I know Sephiroth always played wid Cloud but who does Sephiroth doesn't play wid. For ex di scene wid Sephiroth fighting Genesis who won.

Last edited:
None of Cloud's victories against Sephiroth can be used as evidence to support his strength. The fact of the matter is, Cloud is really the only person who Sephiroth outright refuses to take seriously. Yes, he always keeps a level head in combat and will rarely make his anger known, but he certainly doesn't toy with his other opponents to the degree he messes around with Cloud. It's basically been drilled into our heads throughout the Compilation that Sephiroth holds a special kind of grudge against Cloud. He will take every opportunity he can think of to torture the poor guy and makes absolutely certain to draw out his misery for as long as possible.

It's basically just Sephiroth's way of trying to redeem himself. Imagine yourself in his shoes. Sephiroth was the world's strongest fighter as well as ShinRa's pride and joy. He'd performed feats of raw strength that no other warrior could hope to match. Then, just as he was about to escape with his "Mother's" head, he was offed by a lowly ShinRa MP. A grunt! This kid wasn't even infused with Mako or JENOVA cells, yet, by some stroke of all but impossible luck, managed to overpower Sephiroth. For someone as mentally deranged as Sephy, this means one thing and one thing only: "Revenge." He wants nothing more than to drill it into Cloud's skull that he is the superior warrior, and that Cloud only came out of that Mako Reactor alive because of beginner's luck.

As stated, Sephiroth never toys with his opponents like he does with Cloud. In each of their encounters, he was hardly even using a fraction of his abilities, whereas he at least takes anyone else he fights seriously. He simply doesn't consider Cloud a threat. To Sephiroth, it's like he's being attacked by a five-year old. Consider this: he never uses telekinesis, his ability to turn intangible, magic, Octoslash, or Iakiri against Cloud during their battle in Advent Children. All he does is swat the poor guy around like a ragdoll using his Masamune. At the very least, when fighting someone like Zack or Genesis, Sephiroth uses his full range of abilities.

Yes, Sephiroth is always a confident little bugger, to be sure, and he always tries to keep a level head about him, but that just shows that he's able to keep calm under pressure. It's actually very rare that he will just outright refuse to take an opponent seriously.

Oh, and...

For ex di scene wid Sephiroth fighting Genesis who won.
The battle was a draw. At that point in time, Sephiroth and Genesis were equals. Both of them took the fight seriously and neither one emerged victorious.

In the Nieblhiem reactor Sephiroth easily defeated. Soon after, Cloud owned Sephiroth by stabbing and then throwning him into the Mako reactor.
Cloud stabbed Sephiroth and Flung him into a wall. Sephiroth killed himself on his own.

That is, unless Square Enix twisted history around in Crisis Core because they can be bastards like that.:neomon:

now hold up oathkeeper so yer telling me Sephiroth gave cloud a gimme kill everytime.

I personally think Cloud would've been stronger even if Zack was still alive

I personally think that you people who are posting one-liner posts need to put more effort into them or they will be deleted. These posts are classified as spam. Thank you.

Honestly, even though Cloud somehow stole Zack's life and memories and behaved as if he were the SOLDIER, I say that Cloud has greatly improved his skills as a swordsman to the point of even surpassing Zack. Zack died, sadly, but he was a great fighter, though he was pawned, badly, by Sephiroth. I just think Cloud it's just lucky that Sephiroth's cosmic sized EGO is the best path leading to the "One Winged Angel's" demise.

Cloud because he was able to defeat Sephiroth, while Zack was pretty much owned by the same Sephiroth.

We'll seeing as how Zack was the one who carried clouds sorry ass out of the shinra mansion in the first place and zack was the one who actully made it into solider and he stuck with cloud to the end, id say Zack is the stronger of the two

Umm...actually, yeah, that's exactly what Sephiroth does. Not once does he take Cloud seriously while fighting him one-on-one. He leaves himself wide open to attack, fails to make use of his entire range of abilities, refuses to take an opportunity to just end the fight quickly, and simply doesn't consider Cloud a threat. This is most apparent during their Advent Children fight, in which Sephiroth actually has Cloud pinned to the ground, barely able to lift his sword. So what does he do? He stabs him through the shoulder. Had he impaled one of Cloud's vital organs, the fight would've been over, but Sephiroth chose to go for the shoulder to prolong Cloud's suffering.

Even without taking that into consideration, Sephiroth could've simply used telekinesis to hold Cloud in place from the get-go. Last time, it took the entire party to break free of Sephiroth's telekinesis. Even if Cloud's strength doubled since the end of FFVII, he still wouldn't be able to free himself from Sephiroth. However, that's not all Sephiroth could've done. He could have simply attacked Cloud from afar with Iakiri, speedblitzed him with Octoslash, obliterated him with magic, turned intangible to evade Cloud's attacks, the list goes on. Yet, despite having all of these options available to him, Sephiroth chose to attack with basic swordsmanship. He wanted to prove to Cloud that, even on his own terms, Sephiroth was still far superior.

His fight with Sephiroth in Nibelheim is no different. Of course, it's too short for Sephiroth to have toyed with Cloud, but the fact remains that, ahd it been a fair fight, Sephiroth would've curbstomped him. By the time Sephiroth even realizes that Cloud is at the Reactor, he'd already been stabbed through the back with the Buster Sword. Now, for all intents and purposes, his spine should've been severed, but Nomura's logic says that it wasn't, so we'll just have to go with that. Either way, Sephiroth was obviously seriously injured considering Cloud had just cheapshotted him from behind with a weapon that's probably bigger than he is.

So Cloud tries to finish him off on the catwalk, but he is promptly impaled and lifted into the air. In a fit of nervous adrenaline, Cloud is able to grab a hold of the Masamune and pull himself further into it, allowing him to use the sword as a lever. Sephiroth, stunned and probably dying of bloodloss, is quickly thrown into the Lifestream (according to Crisis Core. I realize that Last Order says otherwise, but I'm going by the most recent source). This is why Sephiroth hates Cloud so much and wants nothing more than to see him suffer.

Now, their duel in the Lifestream is harder to judge for several reasons. The first and most important reason is that it doesn't take place in the physical realm. It's strictly metaphysical, so Cloud and Sephiroth's respective physical abilities may not remain consistent in the spirit realm. Perhaps Cloud has an easier time gathering the Spirit Energy neccessary to use Omnislash in the spirit realm (which would make perfect sense, actually...). The second reason is that Sephiroth had just gotten the ever-loving crap beaten out of him by AVALANCHE. His body had been ripped to shreds in the physical realm, which would probably have a pretty drastic effect on his stamina in the spiritual realm.

So...err...yeah, that's pretty much it. Sephiroth does hand Cloud the win every time they fight.

That doesn't change the fact that Cloud was able to do what Zack could not...and that's kill Sephiroth.

That doesn't change the fact that Cloud was able to do what Zack could not...and that's kill Sephiroth.
Yes, Cloud kills Sephiroth, but it's not because he's at all superior to him. If Sephiroth were to go all-out against Cloud, I can guarentee that the fight would be over with in a matter of seconds. Fighting against a Sephiroth who actually takes him seriously, Cloud would do no better than Zack did. He'd either be overwhelmed, speedblitzed, or ripped apart by telekinesis before he knew what hit him. There's just no other explanation. The creators even say that Sephiroth wasn't exerting any effort AND that he's the strongest entity in the Final Fantasy VII Universe. Cloud's victories against Sephiroth mean absolutely nothing because Sephiroth is never using any semblance of his full strength.

If I came up behind the world's greatest swordsman while he was talking to his friend and stabbed him through the spine with a katana, would I be considered the greatest swordsman in the world? The simple (and only) answer is "no." To be considered a better fighter than someone in the conventional sense, you must best them in a fair fight. Cloud has never done that to Sephiroth, and neither has Zack. Since they each did equally pathetic against Sephy, their respective fights can't be used as evidence to claim that either one is stronger.

Very well but still if you don't consider the fight against Sephiroth to show that Cloud is the strongest, then don't forget about all of Clouds acomplishements he is able to fight both Loz, Kadaj and Yazoo alone. He beats Kadaj one on one, and i doubt Kadaj was holding back...

He destroys Bahamut (granted he had a little help from his friends).

Zack, kills Shinra soldiers and that's it.

Yes, Cloud kills Sephiroth, but it's not because he's at all superior to him. If Sephiroth were to go all-out against Cloud, I can guarentee that the fight would be over with in a matter of seconds. Fighting against a Sephiroth who actually takes him seriously, Cloud would do no better than Zack did. He'd either be overwhelmed, speedblitzed, or ripped apart by telekinesis before he knew what hit him.

Which is perfectly demonstrated in Advent Children. The only reason Cloud didn't die was because Kadaj was a weak little peon.

Sephiroth played and played. Sephiroth even stated that his intent was to make Cloud suffer.

Very well but still if you don't consider the fight against Sephiroth to show that Cloud is the strongest, then don't forget about all of Clouds acomplishements he is able to fight both Loz, Kadaj and Yazoo alone. He beats Kadaj one on one, and i doubt Kadaj was holding back...

Read up on Crisis Core.

Actually, he was fighting an uphill battle against Loz, Kadaj, and Yazoo in the City of the Ancients. If Vincent hadn't intervened, I think Cloud would've been done for. Of course, he did have Goestigma at the time, so I suppose that fight isn't a very good example of his capabilities as a fighter. However, I'm not denying Cloud's strength. He most certainly did accomplish a multitude of impressive feats during his time as main character. Even so, he's never done anything to really suggest that he's that much stronger than Zack, if at all.

Crisis AVALANCHE had been fighting Bahamut for approximately two hours by the time Cloud showed up. The Summon was already worn down. Yes, Cloud was able to keep up with Bahamut on his own much better than the rest of his teammates were, but the fact remains, Bahamut was still worn down by the time he showed up. Even with that in mind, Cloud needed his friends to give him a little boost so that he could actually attack Bahamut. Had his friends not been there, Cloud would've found himself unable to attack Bahamut at all. What he did was certainly impressive, but he most certainly did not do it on his own.

Zack, however, did beat a form of Bahamut on his own...*cough*

Ahem...
Zack beat Genesis in his prime, beat Angeal, became a hero in the Wutai War, singlehandedly defeated a form of Bahamut along with several other powerful Summon Spirits (as in with no help from any teammates), the list goes on. However, his most impressive feat to date would be when he, as you put it, "killed Shinra soldiers." You see, you fail to acknowledge that Zack was up against about a hundred ShinRa soldiers (armed with machine guns and some with melee weapons) and three SOLDIERs (their helmets were visible after the battle) who had air support. That means he was going up against over a hundred trained combatants, all the while dealing with the helicopters that were constantly dropping bombs on him from above. In all fairness to Zack, Cloud has never done anything like that.

Back