What are your thoughts on Crystalline Conflict?

Galadín

☽ ★ Imaginary ★ ☾
Staff member
Global Moderator
Veteran
Gil
Coloured Thread
Moogle
Cloud Strife
Sephiroth
Aerith
Mog's Tent
FFXIV
Salvae Celeres
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
Symphony
1650213213906.jpeg

• ☆ • ☆ • ☆ • ☆ • ☆ •
Now a week into the new 6.1 patch update where so much content and goodies were added, PvP in particular has gotten a breath of fresh air with the new mode, Crystalline Conflict. As one of those strange and unspeakable players who would have frequented the PvP space prior to this new rollout it's been amazing to see the recent hyper enthusiastic uptake from new, returning and veteran ';PvPers' alike.

The landscape of PvP prior to the update felt like something more suited to a Stephen King novel, with long queue times and seemingly uninspired players going through the motions - but at least the EXP gain was great (I really did not want to level up that Black Mage organically :smh:). One of the biggest issues for Frontline, the primary PvP mode which players enganged with, was the sheer numbers needed to for each match - 24 players for each of the three teams, so a whopping 72 players! And it was always chaos with shout-outs pinging off from six different players within the first three second (Go north <se. 6> , go east <se.8>, mid MID MIIIIIDDDDD <SE.7>, actually don't go mid it's just a trap <se.5> Up! <se.10> Wrong map bro <se.11>), and it goes without saying that it's really difficult to get 24 people on the same page (but maybe if you paid for 24 subs it might maybe be possible :smartass:). All of this is to say that the 5v5 mode introduced in Crystalline Conflict is a welcome change. Matches are fast paced and can turn very quickly from a sure win to an abject defeat, which requires players to be vigilant throughout the five minute encounter. Absolutely everyone on the team counts, matters and needs to haul ass, not just healers now! Players have a modicum of self-sufficency and can keep themselves upright throughout the full match so long as they manage their resources well and don't have to rush headlong into a 1v5 beat down. Yes you will still get those call outs (Push the crystal! Push the crystal!) but the streamlined quick chat modes does a lot to minimise the salt and toxicity.

My take on the new PvP mode is pretty self evident in that I find it far more enjoyable than its predecessors. I'm not going into the full reworking of combat for all jobs here, although that also has changed the PvP experience very dramatically, but the mode itself moreso than the combat itself seems to indicate that SE are watching the space far more closely now.

Definite pros are the:
shorter, almost instant queuing times
shorter turn around for map changes (they switch out ever hour and a half)
interesting environmental hazards integrated into some of the stages
guarding and self-sufficiency is more workable against 5 players than 48
early game mistake can be recoverable

Major con for me:
cannot queue as a party with other players unless you have a party of 5 (this is honestly despicable)

Throwing it out there now, what do you all think of the new mode? Are you long time player of FFXIV's PvP modes or has it not interested you up until this point (does it peak your interest now?) If you have tried it out, what did you enjoy or dislike about it? Do you feel like there's still an advantage to having certain classes on the team or playing a particular class? Is the recent uptake a fleeting fad or do you think SE have managed to rejuvenate the PvP scene?

Last edited:
Reactions: Six
I've been playing a bit of Crystalline Conflict over the past week and admittedly find it pretty tough. Everyday the skill level is growing in leaps and bounds and the learning curve is getting a little steep for me, however, win or lose it's still a lot of fun.

I've been playing as mostly Dragoon, only dabbling a few times in Astro and Paladin for a bit of spice before returning rapidly to my true form. I'm not sure if Dragoon is becoming super popular in the PvP space or not with the recent update (the last few Frontlines have seem chalked full of them, however that could be coincidence) but I do find the class seems to have a lot of utility and enjoy how aggressive you can get with it.

In saying that, Crystalline Conflict relies on players being both defensive as well as offensive, and I'm not so great with that part - to the point where I've only humbly climbed to Gold tier and have sat still ever since :lew:. At the end of the day though, I definitely can't blame the class; I've tried other more defensive classes and they didn't really appeal so it's obviously a me problem.

I came across this new video today from Azurite FFXIV (his content for the game in general is excellent and well worth the watch if that's your thing) with some good insights and tips that I thought would be cool to share, just in case anyone else was a little stuck like me, is relatively new to the game, or was contemplating giving this PvP mode a champion's try:

Hopefully this will help step up a game or two. If you happen to give it a whirl let me know what you think! Happy hunting :devilish:

Back