Unending Coil of Bahamut (Ultimate) SCH Clear!

Jake

Veteran
Gil
Hoo boy.

I don't even know where to begin this thread! For those who are unaware, the Unending Coil of Bahamut is a full party (8 player) level 70 trial that was released in patch 4.1 (October 2017). Typically raids in XIV will have two difficulties - Normal and Savage - however this trial was designed to be a step (a huge ass step) above even Savage difficulty content. The fight pits you against three bosses from A Realm Reborn (Twintania, Nael Deus Darnus, and of course Bahamut) over a span of 20 minutes with little to no breaks in between. It's an endurance test at heart.

Clearing this trial not only requires comprehension of a ridiculous amount of mechanics and the ability to execute them under pressure, but it also requires an understanding that well... anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. For it's not just you who needs to learn this fight, but there are also 7 other people who can each individually wipe the raid at almost any point in the entire 20 minute duration. For anyone to have any chance of clearing this thing, they have to be able to take being called out on their mistakes, but also have the ability to move past the mistakes of others. That is certainly easier said than done when you're doing progression for 100+ hours with the same group of people. Tensions and even resentment can arise between even the nicest of people.

Today, after months and months, and the implosion of one raid group, I finally cleared this fight on SCH. For reference, only 5 other people on Lamia have done so, even after all of this time.

This was perhaps our most sloppy run yet, and I have no idea how we didn't wipe at 14:25, but it still totally counts.

My favourite part has got to be Heavensfall Trio (9:30) because the coordination required is kinda insane. So satisfying to pull off. And of course when Phoenix comes and revives everyone at 15 minutes after Bahamut teraflares the group was amazing to see the first time.

I've probably rambled too much already, but I will say that this is quite easily the most frustrating, stupid, tedious, fun, and exciting thing I've ever done in a video game, let alone XIV. While I don't think I'll ever do any serious hardcore raiding again (I'm getting too old and this is a nice note to stop on), overall I enjoyed the entire experience quite a bit.

And hey, the glams aren't half bad either!

Q2NNNk.png

D50Edv.png

Last edited:
Back