Two Questions (PS2 Version)

VillainFan42

Ex-Soldier
Gil
FFXIV
Arza Ra'qael
Free Company
Prelude of Light <Lux>
I started replaying the original PS2 game not too long ago (I can't afford a PS4 and I doubt I'll try to get one until the VII remake gets released). I just got to the point where I finally have all 6 party members available, but I have a couple things I want to ask about the game.

First, I don't want to spend too much time grinding in this game. I mainly want to stick to using a party consisting of Ashe, Basch, and Balthier. I doubt I'd use Penelo or Fran unless the game required me to, and I refuse to use Vaan purely out of spite. Before I play myself into a corner, I need to make sure: Will Vaan, Penelo, and/or Fran be required at a later point in the game? I don't want to have to play like 20 more hours and suddenly have to use a character who's underleveled by about 35 levels, but I also don't want to have to grind a bunch of characters I don't really care about.

Second, I'm trying to build Ashe into my main magic user (Black and White magic mainly, I'm having Balthier on buffing duty) but in the fight against Judge Ghis, I noticed that even though I gave her the magic lore license, her casting Water still did less damage than having Balthier or Basch just attacking. Will magic improve later in the game, or is magic going to remain useless throughout the entire game?

Never mind. In the one month or so since I posted this, I have determined that I can stick with my 3 favorite characters the whole time and Ashe's magic has gotten significantly more useful once I got more Magic Lore and Channeling licenses, and started exploiting elemental weaknesses more frequently.

Back