Terry Pratchett

I think I'v read afew books by him, Im sure Johnny & the dead was him..anyway that was a good book. I also have a load f those dick world books....the ones with the small people, I haven't read them all but they are quite a good read from what I remember of them.

He's written loads really so I think you would be spoilt for choice :monster:

I also have a load f those dick world books....

AHAHA. I think that wasn't intentional xD

I've read a few books by him, I can't remember any of the titles, but I didn't really like them. But like Bambi said, he's written loads of books so you'll be spoilt for choice, you just need to find a story that interests you.

:ffs:...I meant DISCworld I have a one track mind without even realising it. They all like follow on from each other so you might want to get them all if you're gunna read them.

I have 5 and im not sure if thats them all either, it's like Harry bloody Potter

His Discworld series is now about 35 books in total, with various different story strands within them. It's very hard to find a starting point, you could always start with the first book The Colour of Magic, but his books have changed a LOT over the years. Mort is one of the best of his early books, maybe that would be a good place to start. Wyrd Sisters is another good early book.

The Wikipedia article on Discworld has the whole list and also lists them depending on what group of characters are in that book, so you can follow all the various series within the whole set of books. I'd sayhave a look at that as the way I am saying it makes it sound more complicated than it is :(

He's one of my favourite authors anyway, I love the Discworld series (especially the City Watch and Witches novels), and they seem to get even better as time goes on.

I started on the series a year ago, my teacher started me off by lending me his copy of "The colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic". I've gotten throught that book and now I'm going to download the rest of the series. Death is by far one of my favorite characters, as he's much like Richard from the LFG [Looking For Group] comic. Rincewind is a hilarious character, like Shaggy with a larger vocabulary. Thank you, now I'm once again addicted to the books...

*goes off to read some*

Has anyone read any of his books? Could someone give me some suggestions? I have Good Omens in my house...

All of them. :monster:

But if you don't want to read that then Colour of Magic since it's the first. Also the Guards Books (Guards! Guards!, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay etc) are well worth it since it has one of my fave characters Vimes as the main character. Also you must read the Death books (Mort, Soul Music, Hogfather) because Death has bigger parts in those and let's face it, Death is awesome.

i reccomend the first two books that he wrote, The Colour Of Magic and The Light Fantastic, they are funny and there was a program made of them on sky, they were good

i wish he could keep on making books but it really is a shame he now has alzhiemers disease and he will eventualy have to stop writing:(

Read them all. Start with the Colour of Magic and Light fantastic because it will explain a lot for all the later books.

It is best to read them in order, as he is one of the few authors who actually improve as the series goes on. I kid you not, many's the time I've laughed out loud on the bus reading one of his works.

Good Omens is bloody brilliant though, and you don't need to know anything about the Discworld to enjoy it and it raises some very interesting points about good and evil. Oh, and Crowley rocks!

They are great pieces of work, I suggest starting from the beginning. It introduces the Discworld and its main inhabitants, like one of my fav characters Rincewind the completely crappy magician lol.

His books are worth a read, Discworld series is one of my fav collections.

Yeah they are a great series. And I am a big fan, have read them several times! Pratchett is witty yet explores interesting concepts while poking fun at them.

His characters are well developed and I remember when I first started reading them I couldn't wait to read more about Vimes and Carrott (two of my favourite characters).

However it has been suggested that the series has suffered along with Prachett's developing alzheimers, and has lost some if its razor sharpness. But perhaps he has just developed as an author.

The carpet people i read when i was about 13 and it scared me as it made the reader think about massive huge things about existance. I think this is Prachett's gift that he can readily explore a variety of topics, some philosophical, others less so!

However it has been suggested that the series has suffered along with Prachett's developing alzheimers, and has lost some if its razor sharpness. But perhaps he has just developed as an author.

I don't agree, I think some of his latest stuff far exceeds some of his earlier novels, but admittedly by boyfriend and I do argue over this often :) For example, Thud! is one of my favourite watch books.

Someone already said this, so I'd like to second it, the city watch books are SO great. I also like many of the stand alone books in the series, like Pyramids.

Oh, and I'm Australian, so I think most of The Last Continent is absolute genius :D

Back