aeris or aerith???

Srry if this is mentioned. Its all in tranlation... A perfect tranlation of her name is Aeris.... The Japanes Wanted us to call her aerith... But they decided to call her aeris for some reason. I look this up on the internet. This is said by one of the translators that made the game.

aeris or Aeroth

well dont you see thats why her orignal name was Aeris as she is the goddess of chaos.......did you not see what she did at the end of her life and in the lifestream.......thats pretty chaotic to me :lol:

Well, I've noticed that everyone here agrees that Aerith is not only better but it is her true name. I concur. I just figured I'd expand on the translation error thing because I have a knowledge of Japanese and how the name came to be Aeris. So, here goes. The original Japanese katakana form of her name was Earisu. When it was translated into English, they forgot to take into account that the Japanese don't have a "th" sound (very strange, because they got Sephiroth right...). Because of this, the Japanese use their "s" sound to replace the "th" sound (at least the hard th sound. The th sound you would hear in father or mother they use a "z" to replace it).

This is where the error occurred. Also, if the localization team was thinking, they would have realized that Earisu is one of the katakana words for Earth (the other being aasu). That is how Aerith came to be skewed as Aeris. Thank God they didn't do the same thing with Sephiroth (can you imagine... Sephiros?!!... that's just blasphemous). I personally prefer Aerith. Not only because it's her real name, but also because it seems to just fit her better. Aerith is a much more... adult-sounding name than Aeris, if you know what I mean.

aeris#1fan said:
well dont you see thats why her orignal name was Aeris as she is the goddess of chaos.......did you not see what she did at the end of her life and in the lifestream.......thats pretty chaotic to me :lol:

Aeris didn't do anything at the end.
Meteor approached Midgar, holy rushed from the Northern Crater to help, failed, then the lifestream helped and saved the planet. Aeris appeared, praying, then the game ended.
Not chaotic, unless your definition is different from mine?

I wouldn't say she was a mature woman, either. She was a teenager (as was most of the cast) with the hots for Cloud, she practically threw herself at him :lol: But yes, Aerith does fit her more, it has a nicer sound to it and does sound more adult.

Do you consider 22 a teenager?

Anyway, here's a quote from Hades' Daughter. Aerith= Romaji spelling AND pronunciation. Aeris= JUST pronunciation. I prefer Aerith. Much prettier than AERIS... xD
Hades' Daughter said:
*tries to use what she learned in Japanese class*

Her name in Romanji Japanese is Earisu, pronounced: A-ah-ri(li)-sue when spoken syllable for syllable. It's probably where AeriTH comes from, because the 'su' in Japanese is spoken very quick and short (almost like a lisp) and is pretty equivalent to the English 'th' or, even more close, the 's'. Most importantly though, AeriTH would be closest to the Romanji spelling of the name: Earisu.

As for AeriS, well, I think its primary focus is just on how the name is pronounced and doesn't really take into consideration the Romanji spelling of it. I also heard it was changed from 'th' to 's' in the NA version because it's simply easier and better sounding, in the English language, to pronounce it as Aeris rather than AeriTH.

To sum it all up, I guess one is about both the Romanji spelling AND how it sounds, while the other one is simply about pronunciation. Of course, Aerith would be closer to how it's pronounced AND spelled in Japanese. Correct me if I'm wrong please, someone. ^^

Back