Does ANYBODY else like Vaan?

Honestly, it would have been better if he wasn't there. He didn't do much. Only talked in a boring way and his fake abs just can't impress us. No, big fail XD Him and Penelo.

I'm glad you noticed the airbrushed abs as well! xD When I played it recently, I was surprised at how fake they looked... o_o

I don't necessarily hate Vaan - I actually think he's pretty cute && his ignorance/naivete actually amuses me. I think he was a nice change from the traditional serious persona that the protagonist typically has, but as someone else mentioned, Tidus pretty much beats him in the personality department.

I think this video pretty much sums up all the FF characters' hatred towards Vaan. xD (I wasn't sure how to do the YouTube tag thing...)

Dissidia 012: Vaan Gets No Respect
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpcLUGqWanM

I'm glad you noticed the airbrushed abs as well! xD When I played it recently, I was surprised at how fake they looked... o_o

I don't necessarily hate Vaan - I actually think he's pretty cute && his ignorance/naivete actually amuses me. I think he was a nice change from the traditional serious persona that the protagonist typically has, but as someone else mentioned, Tidus pretty much beats him in the personality department.

I think this video pretty much sums up all the FF characters' hatred towards Vaan. xD (I wasn't sure how to do the YouTube tag thing...)

Dissidia 012: Vaan Gets No Respect
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpcLUGqWanM

all the abs in that game look painted on except in the cut scenes they look pretty real... Vaan may act tough but its mostly cause he feels he has to set an Example for the little ones he helps take care of... he had been doing it for 2 years and gets sucked into everything and it was kinda his personality then.. call it a habit that becomes part of you completely

Reks was better

Seriously? Vaan was okay, but his contribution to the storyline was minimal, Reks contributed more that vaan and he was there for like 15 - 20 mins...
Vaan was there for the 9999999999999 + game hours

Looking aside that though Vaan is not that bad but I don't think he should've been the main character...

Did i like Vaan? We considering I really really didn't like XII as a whole, the answer is no. You are meant to care about the characters and in a FF you must be able to relate and warm to them but the whole crew were just like hollow shells. There was no reason at all why the 6 of them should get together and become a party, none whatsover. There were no inter-character relationships to speak of so why they travelled the world together was bizarre. Then you have Vaan who is just a boring, personalitiless child but for some reason, he's the lead character in FFXII. No, sorry, you just can't have such a weak and unimportant as the lead person in a FF game.

I agree with many of the negative comments above me so I don't want to repeat too much that has already been said.

Vaan is the worst MC (I think he is) ever, lack of personality, usefulnes in party, NOTHING relevant for th history Vaan is boring not awful.The only rescatable part of Vaan is when he ask Fran for her age, thats the only part that made me smile, but I love FF XII is just that the history and characters are uninpresive.

I am one of those people that just did not have a problem with Vaan, he obviously isn't the greatest main character ever but he is tolerable. The game is great and well he was easy to tolerate and continue the story rolling....now Fran that is another question *gets knife*.

I have absolutely no problem with him.. He may officialy be the main character but the truth is I didnt even use him and the story revolves around bash, ashe and balthier (those were my party). He was not annoyingly cheerful nor he was some mysterious depressed entity. He was uninteresting but likeable in my opinion.

When we are first introduced to Vaan in the game I kinda liked him. I sympathized with the "street rat" character he had. But as the game went on he kinda became boring to me. And then I realized he had very little purpose in the story so it just came to a point where I just didn't care for him all that much. I cared a lot more about Ashe, Basch, and Balthier (the only characters I really liked in the game). But I wouldn't say that I hate him. I'm just kind of indifferent towards him.

As for his abs: yeah, I have to agree they just don't look natural. lol.

I feel that Vaan is the character that we are meant to connect to. There is supposed to be a lot going on in this war against the Empire and as Vaan learns about it, we are supposed to as well. My problem with this is that Vaan is an average, young kid that you really don't see grow as a character. He has big dreams of becoming a sky pirate but I really don't see him push towards those goals. I often forget why he is even there sometimes, as does the characters since they question what he's looking for in this adventure several times. To summarize my feelings about Vaan, I don't hate him. He's a good kid, he's just not contributing as much to the overall story as others are. But this is a Final Fantasy game and I'm eager to play someone who is a badass or at very least has some depth. I suppose that's why I always play with Basch as my leader in XII.

I think that Reks role in the game (As a tutorial character and as a witness of bash fall) was more important that Vaan in the WHOLE history.

I don't dislike Vaan at all; he just quickly became much less important to the story than Ashe, who seemed to kind of take his place. I started placing her as my group leader to mirror the story and it actually felt like it fit a lot better that way. Still, I keep Vaan in my party almost always; being my first character, he naturally got to be a fairly strong fighter and remains useful in that regard. I liked him well enough at the game's beginning where I actually spent time with him, though.

Still, I keep Vaan in my party almost always; being my first character, he naturally got to be a fairly strong fighter and remains useful in that regard.

I'm pretty sure Vaan naturally has the highest stats in the game so he is the best character in the game in that respect. I'm replaying the game right now and Vaan's still pretty important, I just wish they'd kept him important instead of him fading into the background as the story goes on.

Xx..xX

I liked Vaan. He didn't annoy me at all really. Fran annoyed me though. Vaan was a good fighter on the field so I always looked forward to using him. I honestly didn't have a problem with the dude.

Mom on the other hand, she hates him more than she hated Zidane the first time we played FFIX. She can't stand Vaan, except for when he does his fire ball quickening thing. Anyway it's a case of whatever floats your boat. I like Vaan.

I don't really hate Vaan, but I don't think he was cool enough to be the main character. Basch, Ashe, and Balthier all had better reasons for doing what they were doing. I mean, okay, Vaan thinks his brother was killed by Basch, so he want's to know/have revenge, but that's cleared up pretty quickly. Then, all he wants is sky pirate shenanigans. Vaan's just more side character material to me.

She can't stand Vaan, except for when he does his fire ball quickening thing.

I also found that to be the only good thing about him. He does have some very devastating Quickenings. As a character, though, I just found him to be pointless. Both him and Penelo. They didn't add to the story or anything, as we all know Basch, Ashe and Balthier had more involvement in the story than anyone else. I personally think that either Ashe or Basch should have been the main characters. Besides... Bash was probably one of my favourite characters ever, and I think he would have made a far better main character than anyone else in FF. :monster:

But Vaan... I didn't hate him. But I didn't like him either. For me, he was someone who was "just there", and served no real purpose. I would have prefered him as a support character, even though I doubt I really would have used him much anyway. My party mostly consisted of Basch and Fran, and I would often swap between Ashe and Balthier.

In other FF's, there are either 'star characters' or otherwise some better then others. FFXII, however, doesn't play favorites. They all have their different backgrounds, but are all identified equally. They sort of run together as the story goes on, and the focus becomes more on the war rather then each of them specifically.

I think the most interesting character in the game is Vayne, simply because he is highly intelligent. He doesn't really jump off the deep end like the usual FF villain. FXII was a lot more centered around politics and war, something that some do and some don't appreciate.
I thought it was a refreshing change of pace in the series.

As for Vaan, if I had to make a distinction., he is not a bad character. It's all about the disposition of the game itself- would Cloud, for example, been sufficiently well placed in XII? I'm guessing no. The story needed a character like Vaan.

I think with Vaan, they tried to make more of an 'everyman' out of him; someone that everyone could relate to, which is a good thing to do as he is the most normal character in the entire series. It just didn't work for me, though unfortunately. Nothing much in XII worked for me either, for that matter. I didn't like the politics, didn't really like most of the characters. Basch was my favourite character in the entire series, and I loved the massive open world you got to explore, and I enjoyed the bounty hunting sidequest, but everything else wasn't that great for me. I couldn't get myself truly immersed into the game like I could with the previous titles.

I had to play through the game a second time to really connect with him... Even then it was a bit bland...

What's silly is that it took 2 times playing it to actually sympathize with him. At first he was one of those characters that I wouldn't really care if I lost and never saw again. The second time I payed a little more attention to him and I started to feel a bit for him.

In order to appreciate a character I think is to focus on them and try and see how they feel/take a walk in their shoes. That being said, he STILL wasn't my favorite, but I cared significantly more about him...

Back