who is YOUR favorite team in FFXII?

My favorite team is Vaan, Penelo, and Bashe. I never changed this team once through the whole game. They just seemed to go together so well. I could not use fran for some reason. I tried Ashe and Balthier, but it just did not seem right

I haven't played through much of it yet, but I'll probably end up having Basch, Balthier, and Fran, probably. Basch will be the main physical attacker as well as somewhat of a tank. Balthier will be my ranged attacker and will share healing duties, as well as probably have most of the skills that will be used. Fran will be the "blow shit up" mage as well as sharing healing duties. Most of the Espers I get will go to Fran, with maybe a couple going to Balthier.

That's my plan anyway, I hope it makes sense.

EDIT: Maybe Ashe instead of Fran... hm. I have some bugs to work out still...

Last edited:
I tend to use Ashe, Basch and Balthier. Basch goes in with Beserk, Haste, Decoy and whatnot to carve things up, Ashe uses whatever spells are required, and Balthier does whatever the situation requires.

Occasionally I'll swap out Ashe with Penelo, although it depends on my mood. I only keep Vaan and Fran up with everyone else in levels in case something very bad happens and I need to swap them in. Which rarely happens outside of marks, hordes of enemies catching me at bad times, and in annoying boss battles.

Last edited:
For no particularly clear reason, I stick with Basch, Balthier and Ashe. Those three are the most powerful members of my party in terms of equipment. Balthier is my gunner- he will casually be on the sidelines ignoring enemy defenses and blasting them into next week like the awesome sky pirate he is. :awesome:

Basch is my tank and muscle. He goes straight into the frontlines with jis mighty Deathbringer Sword, while Ashe remains in gambit mode to cast the buffing and healing spells.

Hmm...my favourite party is Balthier, Basch and Ashe.

I guess i keep Balthier around because he is simply a cool guy, and it comes in handy to keep him at a distance without getting any damage just laughing while i shoot the dumb monsters.

Basch is the powerhouse of the group, he came in handy to one strike down the low powered monsters in chains.

Ashe...well i just keep her around, because i think she is a good all rounder, i usually use her to strike down opponents along with Basch and also as the healer of the group.

But i also use the others i like to switch around.

For the most part, I use Fran, Ashe and Penelo. Yeah, I know. I used to laugh at myself when Larsa was with the group, because I was using the women and children -__-. Anyway, Fran uses mostly katanas and kicks ass with them. She's my "Basch" of the group, since I don't really like using him all that much. Penelo uses axes or bows, it really depends on what I need her for. Ashe, well I don't even know how she got in my party but she just ended up staying there. She mostly uses swords.

Sometimes I switch out Penelo or Ashe for Balthier, but that's really only when they get KO'd and I'm out of MP (I'm too cheap to use phoenix down or potions, unless absolutely necessary). Balthier uses guns, of course. Although I'm tempted to have him use swords. One of the reasons I love this game is because you can have anyone use really any weapon you want them to without it being that big of a hassle, because of the license board and all. That being said, everyone has pretty much the same magic. Although, Fran can use it for much less MP.

I always use Ashe as party leader, because the story seems to center more around her then around Vaan. I build her up like a paladin-class, with heavy melee abilities and white magic. Besides her I used Vaan as a thief-class, stealing all the time, and either Basch for heavy hitting or Penelo for magic blasting. Despite Balthier and Fran being some of the best characters of the game, I hardly used them in in-game battling.

I always used Basche, Vaan, and Fran or Ashe. Of course I'd switch all of them out except Vaan once in a while to keep them leveled up. That's what I used mainly, though.

I know how wierd this sounds, but Fran is the only character I use with a higher percentage than any other. I focus her on bows and curative magic, Get Bausch and Balthier, Vaan and Penelo, or just Ashe out to protect, and kill stuff. She and Balthier are my way of taking flying enemies out, also. (I don't get to play this much, so it is psrtly speculation, but I do love using Fran.)

Balthier, Vaan and Fran. I really really wish there had been more actual sky pirating in this game. It's my most frequent team when doing hunts anyway. I always thought Ashe and Basch would be more interested in politics, than looting and hunting rare games.

Last edited:
Hmm, I like a mix. I like to have Basch just because he's very powerful and can hurt the fiends with massive damage =D I like Balthier/Fran because they were my distance shooters and they can attack from a distance =D I also liked to have Ashe just because i need a healer when needed but could someone who could also whoop butt :D So yeah, i favor them.

I used Ashe, Fran and Balthier

Eventually I had Ashe to where she was a beast at melee. Fran was also good at melee. Balthier was mainly my ranged attacker. They were all equipped well when it came to magick. This team is like my permanent. It works well that way I think. Plus I didn't really like the other characters.

My favorite team would have to be Vaan, Ashe, and Fran. Van because he can hold his own against enemies. Ashe because she can take on enemies easy and has high MP. Fran because she is the strongest Ranged character IMO and my favorite character in the game

Had control of Penelo and was a Red Mage. Let Vaan tank, and I dunno how Fran ended up as the third, but I had no long range people at all in the game.

Don't get me wrong, Balthier's guns are great... At the start. After a while their power wears off compared to melee stuff.

Vaan Fran Panelo
I used Vaan for brute strenghth while Panelo acted as the white mage. I used Fran on manual just to make sure everything went alright. Fran was a attacker/healer she kept my team balanced somewhat.

o_o

Scary much?

That's the exact same team I use.

Vaan's first hit is always set on steal. He's my thief, and the strongest fighter.

Fran is always more in the back, as I keep her with bows, seeing she has an advantage with that. As well as her laying back, she is mostly the main healer.

Penelo is also a healer, but mostly attacking and fighting with Vaan. She's strong on the battlefield, but a great healer as well.

Vaan, Fran, and Penelo for me.

Love that team. :D

Ashe,Fran and Basch

Penelo had the best magic though and sometimes a switch Balthier in for Fran but Vaan is the only one that i don't like to use,he doesn't have anything, i just stick him with a hammer and have him as a lame back-up :p

My favourite Party is Vaan, Bach and Asch. And I had Balthier as well in the Party.

EDIT: Vaan because he is the main character, Bach because he deals lots of damage and Asch because she is good at fighting and healing. I changed Bach with Balthier sometimes to level him up.

Mod edit: Could you elaborate on why? Thank you.

Last edited:
Fran as the leader, with Balthier and Penelo

I'm not entirely sure why, except for the fact that I like their Quickenings. Shatterheart was my favourite. And I always thought that if Fran was fighting, Balthier should be too

Back