When you think about the Character from FFVII

Apparent Amarant

Blue Mage
Gil
Mainly Seph, Turks, Cloud, Vincent, and Tifa do you think about them the way they were in Advent Children or the way they were in the video game?

Besides the Vincent, Reno and Rude I think they all had some pretty large differences. I don't really think the movie did I good job portraying Cloud, Tifa, or Sephiroth the way that I viewed them from the game.

The other characters didn't really have big enough parts to get any idea of how accurate they were portrayed, but I personally view the characters who did have enough screen time the way they were portrayed in the game.

This might just because I thought AC was just absolutely terrible and I just basically pretend it never happened but nevertheless was looking for others opinions just for curiosities sake.

Actually, I'm going to disagree with you there.

I think they did a great job portraying Cloud, Tifa abd Sephiroth in Advent Children. I do necessarily think of them how they may look in there when I'm playing the actual game, only them being in their original outfits.

Cloud was great as being the tortured hero, Tifa was the bright and bubbly girl we love and then Sephiroth was the merciless, evil villain that we all loved to hate ... or love. xD

I don't think Tifa was bright or bubbly in the movie at all. Also I feel as if Cloud lost all of his over confident attitude. His cockiness seemed to be more replaced by apathy for matters not concerning his sorrow. With Sephiroth I guess he was really only there for the battle so it's really not easy to tell. I just thought Kadaj was a terrible character, but that really has nothing to do with anything. Again these are just differences from the way I viewed there characters in the game.

I could just be being biased because I thought the movie was a complete fail. The three brothers most likely being the cause. When I found out the three brothers were created by Sephiroth consciousness being separated into three separate parts and them somehow being adults and not having to have been born and ya da ya da I was basically completely thrown off the movie.

For some reason the characters just didn't seen the same to me. The movie was a lot like I expected in the way of how it looked and everything I just felt a difference in the characters, but maybe it was just me and just because I didn't enjoy the movie.

Last edited:
Besides the Vincent, Reno and Rude I think they all had some pretty large differences. I don't really think the movie did I good job portraying Cloud, Tifa, or Sephiroth the way that I viewed them from the game.

This might just because I thought AC was just absolutely terrible and I just basically pretend it never happened but nevertheless was looking for others opinions just for curiosities sake.

I actually agree with you. It wasn't a well done movie and they changed Cloud mostly. It was really annoying, so I prefer to think of them like how they were in the game, rather than AC. I prefer to think that their AC versions don't even EXIST.

I don't really think the movie did I good job portraying Cloud, Tifa, or Sephiroth the way that I viewed them from the game.
Well, I certainly hope not! I thought it was mindful of the creators to intentionally change the characters dramatically. If the characters were the same attitude/persona as they were in the game, you wouldn't have much of a motivation and personality for them, would you?

In the game, Cloud was always http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheStoic The Stoic but in the movie he went full-blown Emo before recovering by endcredits. Tifa changed, but subtly, going from shy and unsure but determined, to a kind of quiet anger, and quite vocal, (mainly due to Cloud's asshattery being emo and whatnot).

Edit: This is my 600th post!

I don't think Sephiroth changed one bit. He was always smug, confident, and throwing around creepy ultimatums while taunting the characters. Nor did Yuffie change all that much, for that matter.

Cait Sith did certainly -- he's much more.... vocal in his need for self-preservation. Which I thought was odd, since he volunteered to sacrifice himself in the game and all...

I liked the changes they made. Without them, the characters would be inert, with no dynamics and flair that people love them for. Characters have their good and bad times just like any other person, and I think they portrayed that well in AC. With change comes interest, and AC has plenty of change and plenty of interest (if you care to explore it). If they had been flawlessly the same, it would've been simply boring -- nothing more than a gaudy hour-long tribute to the characters, but doing nothing to explore who they really are.

Last edited:
I actually agree with you. It wasn't a well done movie and they changed Cloud mostly. It was really annoying, so I prefer to think of them like how they were in the game, rather than AC. I prefer to think that their AC versions don't even EXIST.

I completely agree with this. That's exactly how I feel, but then.........

Well, I certainly hope not! I thought it was mindful of the creators to intentionally change the characters dramatically. If the characters were the same attitude/persona as they were in the game, you wouldn't have much of a motivation and personality for them, would you?

In the game, Cloud was always The Stoic but in the movie he went full-blown Emo before recovering by endcredits. Tifa changed, but subtly, going from shy and unsure but determined, to a kind of quiet anger, and quite vocal, (mainly due to Cloud's asshattery being emo and whatnot).

Edit: This is my 600th post!

I don't think Sephiroth changed one bit. He was always smug, confident, and throwing around creepy ultimatums while taunting the characters. Nor did Yuffie change all that much, for that matter.

Cait Sith did certainly -- he's much more.... vocal in his need for self-preservation. Which I thought was odd, since he volunteered to sacrifice himself in the game and all...

I liked the changes they made. Without them, the characters would be inert, with no dynamics and flair that people love them for. Characters have their good and bad times just like any other person, and I think they portrayed that well in AC. With change comes interest, and AC has plenty of change and plenty of interest (if you care to explore it). If they had been flawlessly the same, it would've been simply boring -- nothing more than a gaudy hour-long tribute to the characters, but doing nothing to explore who they really are.

I'm actually forced to see the logic you display here for why the characters(especially Cloud) had to go through changes. It makes an immense amount of sense. Though I have come to decide that calling Cloud emo simply because he was depressed is stupid. Which I have done a few times.

So now I will describe anything and anyone that is depressed/down/depressing/sad/saddening in anyway as emo. To expand its usefulness as an adjective.

I think of them as in the game.I got to get connected with them pretty well.
To be honest I firstly watched the movie and after liking it so much(mainly for its battles and the complicated story I didn't understand so much) I decided to play the game.
Then I realized how different the characters were in the movie and in the game.In the game they're more realistic and all of the characters take part in it,unlike the movie that revolves around Shinra,Septhiroth(and the other three) and the two main characters(Tifa,Cloud)I believe it really failed to portray them as in the game.

For example,I felt that Cloud in the moview was overly emotional and very depressing,while in the game he had more personality,he was more interesting,he showed what really made him one of the legendary characters.Tifa from the other hand looked more quiet in the movie and certainly weaker than in the game.In the game she more things going on,she was there for everyone,could stand on her own two feet and a lot more.
Then about the other characters...we didn't get to see much of them in the movie,in the movie I didn't really like Nanaki,in contrast with the game that really gives him that kindness he has and makes it pretty obvious that he's young.Sephiroth either doesn't get lots of screentime except for the last battle.

The main problem with the movie is that it only lasted around one hour and a half,so they tried to do what they could with that limited time.

Apparent Amarant said:
I'm actually forced to see the logic you display here for why the characters(especially Cloud) had to go through changes. It makes an immense amount of sense. Though I have come to decide that calling Cloud emo simply because he was depressed is stupid. Which I have done a few times.

So now I will describe anything and anyone that is depressed/down/depressing/sad/saddening in anyway as emo. To expand its usefulness as an adjective.

Huzzah! I'm glad you've seen the logic! There are a rare few people like you in the world, far too few!

Likewise, I concede the point about the use of 'emo'. There's probably a much more apt word out there but I, with all my vocabulary prowess, remain unaware of it. Perhaps 'extremely depressed' is a better. He was, after all, quite suicidal when the movie began.

I think Cloud's temperment was quite appropriate in AC.

Most FF leading men end up being handed positions of royalty after they save the world - He wound up with the fucking plague.

I'd be down on my luck too.

I think the story of Advent Children really portrays the characters well. I think Cloud was a bit too depressed and unmotivated but it was understandable. He had accomplished everything he had set out to do in FFVII Game, lost a very close friend and possible love interest and was dying. These factors combined makes it very believable that he had become very depressed. Howevery I think they completely nerfed Tifa. I mean Cloud while suffering from Geostigma and riding a bike at a high speeds was easily taking out a bunch of those dog things and all Tifa can do is try to cover Denzel with her body and Cid comes in and kills them all in under 5 seconds. Barret was Rambunctious as always and Vincent was his usual vampire self. I thought the air sickness with Yuffie was a nice touch and I will reserve my judgement on Nanaki as he had all of like 2 spoken lines. Cait Sith was also funny in the English version sounding like an Irish drunk Japanese w/ subtitles was better.

I actually don't think they were any different in the game than they were in the movie. I believe that they did a great job of capturing the characters original personalities in AC. Maybe not so much the Turks as much as Seph, Cloud, and Tifa. But from my personal experiences of the game, and then watching AC...Cloud and Tifa were perfectly personified, and Sephiroth was great for the short time he was in it. Again, the Turks, I don't have much to say about them, because they were in my oppinion, just minor B Characters.

Back