[V1] What are you currently playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tales of Xillia

Brilliant game so far. Absolutely amazing, and a new standard for the genre.

No, of course it's not.

Even though I'm still early in the game (due to head to Sharilton or whatever the place is called), and already the egregiously off-putting things are piling up, all working in tandem to annoy me, preventing me from getting into this game.

- Two port towns in, and both look the same. I have been told that ALL port towns look the same. That's called being lazy.

- Is that what you call an overworld? Just a few tiny zones connecting between towns and dungeons? Just hollowed-out canyons where if you're lucky, there's a pond over there and maybe some treasure chests and shiny things on trees?

- Overworld is just bland and unimaginative. It's like there was barely any effort put into it, and given how tiny each of the zones are, that FFXII back in 2006 and 2007 easily overshadows Namco's effort here, this had to have been a rushed game. I was expecting a very B-tier game, but not an average PS2 game, only at 720p! It's not even at 60fps!

- Characters are walking tropes so far. Nothing in the narrative is interesting. Jude seems to be this shy adolescent who may as well end up "following his dick like a divining rod". Milla is your standard "I am not familiar with your human ways. Please teach me things" kind of JRPG character, on top of that "I seek to do what I must do to complete my vague, unspecified mission" attitude. Alvin's character has been done many times before, and I predict he will betray you at least once. I have nothing to say about Elize yet. I was warned that Teepo is annoying. They were right. Teepo is annoying. Please shut up.

- Combat overwhelmed me to begin with, because the very helpful tutorial just dumped a whole load of things on me, teaching me some things, while not bothering to inform me about other things (I only just found out what AC is), and locking on to enemies is so awkward. Jude ends up uppercutting air a lot of the time, while trying to switch links between characters is more cumbersome than it should be, though it's probably just me.

- That Lilium Orb is basically the Crystarium, and just as superficial, except Xillia tries to disguise the limitations of what you can acquire more than FFXIII did by giving you a large colourful web to look at. In fact, so far, Xillia is giving me slight flashbacks to FFXIII, and I assure you, that is not praise.

- This is not a PS3 game. This is a PS2 game. This so far is a step back in every conceivable way from other RPGs that have come out in recent years that you can buy and play.

- I don't know if I want to continue, let's be honest. Who was the tosspot who said Xillia is a good game? Stone that person.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (for PC)

See what this fuss is all about. Not far in to the game at all yet, but considering I'm not a PC player, the mouse and keyboard are going pretty well, and the game seems like good fun so far. It seems overwhelming with how much there is to do. :gasp: We shall see!

Last edited:
Wolf Among Us.

A telltale game, very interesting to say the least!
If you like telltale games, highly recommend this one!

I'm going through all the Final Fantasies in order. I finished the first Final Fantasy (NES. First time beating this version) in the week and have since been playing through Final Fantasy II (NES. Will also be the first time beating this version). Currently I'm grinding (the first time in the game I've really had to properly 'grind') in preparation for Jade and Pandemonia. May be able to finish today or early next week and move onto Final Fantasy III (NES. Got towards the end many times but never quite finished it before).

After that though I haven't decided yet if I want to play Final Fantasies IV-VI on the SNES or Playstation.

Professor Layton and the Aztec Legacy - Got to say, it's one of the best Laytons. Shame it's the last official one of the series :sad3:. The cutscenes are great, the puzzles are some of the most creative (though some repeat a few times), the characters have the usual level of uniqueness and the soundtrack is some of the best to date. For example, the main theme (from about 30 seconds in):

For some reason, I love this one too. It's really basic and everything, but still:

I'm always looking forward to when a new town is coming up too, 'cause there's always some weird problem introduced :lew:. As for the main plot...it's decent enough. All gang based and trying to track them down, for the main part. Along with the Azran Legacy stuff...

Civ V - Um, I've done the tutorials and got chucked into the middle of a map yesterday. A lot was already built and I had no idea what was going on lmao. It looks like it could be fun once you actually understand things. The music's much better than I expected for this sort of Risk-ish game. I just don't know if I could bring myself to play it on single player :wacky:.

Pixeljunk Shooter (or something) - I've only played the first few levels. It's alright...just a 2D shooter where you save little humans. I don't see the hype at all.

Earthbound - My first time through this game and it's pretty great! The humour, the sprites, the music. The graphics may be too dated for some, but I love them. Much better than the overdone, movie-like cinematics we get lately. The only problem I have with the game so far is the amount of difficulty spikes. You could be beating the enemies down left, right and center one minute, then dying a grizzly death as soon as you find your next boss. I only have one character in my party right now and I'm getting heavy vibes that a mage will be entering the party soon (not that Ness isn't mage-like himself). I'm quite happy though, because I'm level 20 after grinding for a bit. Can't wait to play a wee bit more :lew:.

Silent Hill - As good as ever. My first time playing on Normal mode...and it's not much harder than Easy. Should have started on Normal all those years ago ha. Anyways, made it to the end of the hospital. I'm about to meet my favourite character from the game: Lisa. She's such a caring nurse...if only someone cared for her :sad2:.

Mario Kart 8 - Well, I haven't played this for a few weeks now. Been too busy with LP stuff and Layton. I'm gonna get back to mirror mode soon though. It's the sort of game that you can stop for a while and still be decent at when you go back to it, I find. It's definitely one of the better Mario Karts though. Love it so much :lew:.

~FIN~

Borderlands - Picked this up again after about four months to finish off the Moxxi DLC and spent about five hours yesterday waiting for MINAC to kill enough Claptraps for Pizza drops. Might actually get to play the game and enjoy myself now that those are out the way...I hate being a trophy whore sometimes.

Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn - I preferred DWG3, I think. For one, the Official Mode only has the main UC series (and Char's Counterattack for some reason) and the Seed series, and for two they couldn't be bothered to dub it. I fucking HATE games that only have Japanese audio. I happen to like a lot of dubbed Gundam, and I don't see why they couldn't have sprung for dubbed VAs. And the Vita version, for that matter. But it's better than the main DW series...robots > people.

Also playing NieR, but the game glitched, so I had to restart...haven't touched it since. Maybe I'll pick it up again in a few months. I wish they'd release Atelier Rorona Plus on Vita already; I want something to play on a handheld. Not really in the mood for any of my backlog at the moment, although I really should finish Disgaea 3 before Disgaea 4 comes out in August...

I finished Final Fantasy II last weekend and throughout the week just gone I managed to blast through Final Fantasy III. II was a fucking pain in the ass. It required a stupid amount of grinding to just be able to get through the final areas. Most of the game can be done by raising stats as you go, being sure to fight next to every battle and not neglecting certain spells too much. Only a few times during the game did I need to purposefully spend time grinding to raise stats but even then it was only a little bit. However The Jade Passage and onwards was a different matter... done it in the end though.

I had done most of the NES FF III before but lost my save file around the fight with Garuda. This playthrough didn't seem so challenging and the amount of grinding didn't seem as much as some people make out. Like with II there was only a few places where I purposely took a little time to raise levels with the most came before the final areas. Echinda gave me a bit of gip and I made it out of the fight with the Two-Headed Dragon by the skin of my lone surviving Sage's teeth, otherwise it wasn't so hard.

With the NES-era Final Fantasies done and dusted I've now moved onto the SNES-era games (choosing to play the Playstation version) with FF IV being the first. Started it yesterday evening and today I got upto Troia where I will grind for a while to raise levels before tackling the Magnetic Cavern. Other than a little bit of monster slaying for Gil at Mysidia, this is the first time I've purposefully spend time grinding to raise levels.

I'm currently playing Giana Sisters (wii u), mario kart 8 (wii-u), and dynasty warriors 8 (and 8-XL) (ps3)

Giana Sisters is a faithful reboot of old school plat-formers like the early mario series, sonic series, etc. If you like a good pick up and just have fun game this is an interesting choice.
Mario Kart 8 is the latest addition to the mario kart franchise (as the time of this post). I am not much for racing games but mario kart 8 is one that can make the genre fun and exciting for anyone wanting to try a racing game.
Dynasty Warriors 8 and 8-XL, now you either love this series or you don't its one of those types of games yea its hack-n-slash but sometimes that's a game someone can pick up and just have fun with it In My Opinion of course.

And that is what I am currently playing at the moment.

I'm trading off and on between numerous games. Mainly Firefall, Payday 2, Skyrim, and The Witcher 2. I haven't quite decided if I liked The Witcher 2 yet or not. It seems to have some interesting gameplay elements, but feels sorta...stiff for lack of a better word. I mean, I'm enjoying it. But I somewhat feel the novelty already wearing off. Maybe my mood will alter as I get through it.

Persona 4: Golden

Pretty cool. Really like that you can now choose the abilities passed on to personae now and the new dialogue. The Chie voice change is not making my dick hard at all though... I really despise it.

I can't remember if the original game had a retro boss theme for Mitsuo's dungeon, but it was pretty awesome to come across fighting him again. I'll probably replay one more time since i hate having to rely on guides for shit and want to actually platinum it since it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Persona 3 FES

Just bought it in a sale on the PS3. I'm really liking it so far. The voice acting isn't the best in a lot of places; I feel like the emphasis they put on some words is just wrong, and every time I hear them say a word in Japanese I cringe a little. However, I do like a couple of the voices, like Yukari and Junpei, which is good because I hear them fairly often.

That mobile Kim Kardashian Hollywood game on iOS.

I downloaded it for a laugh (thus doing my part to inadvertently boost Kim Kardashian's inexplicable "career" further), and proceeded the game with the ugliest character avatar I could create. Barely two minutes into this "game", my character closes shop and steps out into the ghostly quiet boulevards of Beverley Hills, and the titular Kim Kardashian approaches, requesting that she does some quick shopping at my closed clothes store.

Because I shut up shop, my character should have naturally said: "no, madam. The shop is closed. Please come back tomorrow", but she instead elects to re-open the store and provide Ms Kardashian with after-hours service. Not content with that, my character is also tasked with choosing for Kim Kardashian her dress for this evening's vague social event. Do i provide her with a shit silver dress, or a crap red one? What a decision to make!

With a new silver dress to add to her wardrobe of uhh - okay, why on earth would she need to buy anymore at this point? Haven't you bought out every single piece of garment from LA at this point? - my character insists that Ms Kardashian DOES NOT HAVE TO PAY A SINGLE DIME FOR THE DRESS! The socialite expresses her surprise, and a seeming willingness to pay, but then a screen emerges resembling that of a dialogue selection box. I was eager to tell Kim to shove it and fork out the money like everyone else, but to my incredulity, the game only provided me with ONE "option". I had to INSIST that this socialite with deep pockets receive the dress for free.

I uninstalled the game at that instant. People talk about certain video game protagonists that are beyond the pale, usually because of their actions and their personal philosophies. These are usually despicable types that you simply cannot relate to, creating a form of unbridgeable dissonance between the player and character. This shop employee in Beverley Hills is one of them, and if I were her boss, she'd be fired immediately.

Meanwhile, I'm going through the first Mass Effect on PS3. I recently picked up the whole trilogy digitally for £16, and elected to work my way through the whole trilogy with a fresh Shepard (male Paragon this time), instead of going straight to the untouched third game in the series.

The PC version's decryption minigame was surprisingly enthralling to play. Same cannot be said of the console version, which amounts to mashing the buttons as prompted on the screen. The console version of decryption has a surprisingly tight window for which to react and push the corresponding buttons, otherwise it would fail, and prompting the need to sit through exceedingly long loading screens. Oh yes, loading screens. It's not as bad as I thought (I remember the hoo-hah about the infamous elevator loading screens back in the day when people spoke exclusively of the Xbox version), but it's still a dramatic step down from the PC version.

Also, I think I've given up being a Paragon. Garrus is right. Screw the rules. Let's just get the job done, regardless of the means. Totally up for some Shepard x Garrus bromance in the third game. About to start Virmire. Wrex and Kaidan will live, I have decided. Ashley, our human supremacist can be my sacrificial lamb this time.

Kinda got a few old skool games on the go atm.

I continue my Final Fantasy series playthrough with IV (finally opting for the Playstation versions). Currently grinding in prep for the Giant of Babil and the final stages of the game. Got a little bored with that (takes so fucking long!) so started FF V a little early where I have reached Crescent Island and caught the Black Chocobo.

Aside from those two I am juggling between Rayman and a Sonic the Hedgehog series playthrough (practicing for speed run challenges).

Tales of Xillia 2.

I am about only 4 hours in and somehow already have passed chapter 6. The game right off the bat feels like Xillia 1 because so much stuff is copy and pasted. I love the new areas though, such as
cities in Elympios
The game also does somewhat feel new if you don't count the copy and pasted enemies, elite monsters, music, etc.

Overall, the gameplay definitely feels smoother. The story tends to feel darker at times, but I cannot help but feel that the game took themes from Final Fantasy XIII-2 such as time travel, pink theme, and even similar characters.

While I do feel that this sequel will be more enticing, I cannot help but feel JRPG developers are getting lazy. Copy and pasted Npcs, some bosses from the first game, and even the ports in
Elympios
I can bet that the fields are likely the same, plus the seahavens in Rieze Maxia.

Both
worlds are now connected
but conflict remains.

I do not like Elle Mel Marta very much. Her voice is terrible and god forbid that this game needed another little girl. Just because the others are all, grown up, right?

Elle reminds me so much of Yeul. She just changes events out of nowhere. It is generally quite confusing sometimes.

Ack, I cannot help but find the debt system annoying at times. Does Noel Vermillion, oops, I mean Nova have to call you all the time you make a payment? She is rather annoying. Do not think I am toying around when I say Noel. These characters are exactly alike. They both have the same VA, similar clothes and act the exact same way, etc.

That is all I have to say for now. The opening was actually a nice touch, and I quite like Ayumi Hamasaki's theme song.

I've been playing a fair few games recently.

League of Legends with Jay and his friends. I was forced to watch a number of the LoL tournaments last year which was incredibly dull. :ness: Consequently, I never had much of a desire to learn more about it, but Jay (my boyfriend) asked me to join in with him and friends, so I tried it out. Playing with friends is a completely different experience to watching it! Some games are frustrating, but others are exciting and great fun! :) Tend to play adc... Need to learn mid and top! :lew:

I've also been playing through Divinity: Original Sin with Jay. Fantastic RPG and I'd recommend it to anyone on here who enjoys a good story. I think it's best if you play it with someone too; you can split up to hunt for clues when in town, you can discuss what to do in a battle together (makes the battle system more exciting) and can enjoy the plot twists together, of which there are many!

On top of that, Jay and I have been making our way through The Last of Us. We thought we were over halfway through, but looking at a guide, apparently not! Sneaking around has been very difficult at times...and there is one area I will never forget - it must have taken us at least 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours to pass through an area that should take 3 minutes! We kept getting bitten by clickers. =(

Finally, I've been replaying Final Fantasy VIII. Having replayed most of FFX recently... I think VIII may just be my favourite!

I've been playing these on and off over the past 4-5 months. League and Divinity most frequently! :) Oh!! And Left 4 Dead!

Most of my time is dedicated to my replay of FFVIII. I'm on disc 2, and I've just beaten NORG. I'm aiming to beat Omega, and get all the cards. Not a 100% game per se, just wanting to check a few things of my bucket list.

I've got Gran Turismo 6 on the back burner, but it's so far in the periphery of my thinking that it may be a few months before I play again.

Just got back to FFXIV after a few weeks break. Had to take advantage of that free login until the 1st of September.

Every now and then I'll play FFX with the rest of the family during the evening. The kids seem to enjoy it, especially that laughing scene between Yuna and Tidus. :) Loved watching my daughter cringe and laugh at the same time.

On Steam, I'll usually play Age of Empires II HD. Age of Empire III every now and then too, but for nostalgic reasons, I kinda prefer AoE2.

Too much.

Borderlands 2 (again) because of hype for the presequel.
Diablo 3
7 Days to Die
DayZ
Minecraft (modded)
Rome 2

I alternate daily/throughout the day, depending on the mood. Also looking at playing some more Guild Wars 2 soon...we'll see.

Mass Effect, Tales of Graces f, Persona 3, and...

Max Gentlemen:
A game about manly men, and stacking hats.

It's a free game on Steam, and the gameplay is as follows: Your character has to stack as many hats on top of their head as possible while dodging obstacles such as beer mugs, birds, boomerangs, and so forth. It's a very simple game, but actually kind of fun. Here are a couple of screenshots.

maxg2_zps059de6c7.png

maxg_zpsfe37cc7a.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back