TOP MOVIES OF THE LAST 10 YEARS

Roland_Deschain

Transcending what is, with what could be.
Veteran
Currently working in China, born in the U S of A (
Gil
Create your own personal list, try not to exceed ten films.

In my opinion, in no specific order, here is what I think are the best 10 films of the last decade.

Apocolypto- A very wild ride that kept me on the edge of my seat.

Moon- Fantastic movie. Just plain unpredictable

Social network- Not about facebook, but uses facebook as a looking piece for greed, deception, and anger.

Into the wild- Its a very emotional movie with great philosophys and beauty.

The departed- Badass and a very good adaption from a Hong Kong movie, made only a couple years before it.

Return of the king -Absolutely amazing, the only film I have ever seen that made the whole audience applaud.

Memento - not as good the second time around, but its a very innovative and original film.

Shutter Island - Good flick, I decided I place this higher then "inception", its less drawn out and darker, I loved the ending.

UP - Movie is full of emotion and humor and its one of the best 3D animation movies yet.

Across the universe - One of the best musicals I have seen, they do a fantastic job of remaking beatles songs.

HONERABLE MENTIONS !!!! - District 9.....The Salton Sea.....Southland tales.....Lord of war.....Pirates of the carribean 3.....Pineapple express......Avatar seen in 3D......Cinderella man

Last edited:
Allow me to share my list. It's complicated, since they're so many great films in one short decade, but I'm gonna try to reduce the number of my personal list (not in any particular order).

* UP. Your heart must be made of stone if you don't get touched by this film, that kind of picture that must be preserved for the newer generations, besides the character designs are really amusing.

* The Princess and the Frog. I had to include this one here, for being Disney's awaited return to the traditional 2D animation (although I also love Tangled, I prefer this other film). And also, I love the story's message for the audience.

* Howl's Moving Castle. Miyazaki's film was a 'must' for my list, besides this being my personal favorite from all his work, just after Princess Mononoke.

* The Pianist. Polanski anyone? After Chinatown, this one is my favorite films from this amazing director. It's hard to don't feel sad while watching this.

* Let Me In. Easily one of the best vampire-themed films of this last decade, besides being a wonderful american-version of the swedish film and book, and it came out better than I could ever expect.

* Breakfast on Pluto. I find this film being sad and funny at the same time, Cillian Murphy offering a great perfomance, as always.

* The Last Samurai. I believe this is one of Tom Cruise's best films yet, and Ken Watanabe's perfomance was sublime. I loved the mix of drama and action inside this film, besides the accurate portrayal of the japanese culture back then.

* Inglorious Basterds. Tarantino was a 'must' in my list. I loved this film's particular story-telling and the way it twisted with historical movements during the World War II. Besides, Christopher Waltz's acting was the best part of the whole film.

* Big Fish. The best film of Tim Burton, enough.

* Black Swan. This film is still 'fresh', but yet I wanted to include it on my list, since the shock from my first time watching still remains. I've been a big fan of Natalie Portman for a while, and I can feel sure to crown this film as the highest moment of her acting career. Her perfomance as Nina, was as much beautiful as it was scary (she was so skinny that I feared for her, I swear).

Ten already? Uh, okay... but ten wasn't enough, there are still many good films...

Allow to make the honorific mentions of Satoshi Kon's "Paprika" and Martin Scorsese's "Shutter Island". Both movies are worth watching, trust me.

Edit: Oh gosh, I totally forgot about "Pan's Labyrinth"... Such a brilliant film, I should have added that one in the list.

Last edited:
I did one recently for the decade just gone (2000-2009), so I'll so that list here:

1. Mulholland Drive
David Lynch's best film, and just pure genius. Disorienting and bewildering at times, but it's just brilliant.

2. Spirited Away
It looks stunning, and is testament to how great animation can be. And maybe the only film to leave me crying with happiness

3. City of God
Like a shot of adrenaline straight to the heart, the subject matter might be grim but it's electrifying.

4. Lost in Translation
I don't think Sofia Coppola wil ever top this. Bill Murray is great and it shows that most simple of things, two people connecting.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
One of the best films ever made about human relationships, and a concept I just love

6. Sideways
Laugh-out loud funny in places, and the two main characters in it always remind me of me and an old friend of mine

7. There Will Be Blood
Definitely not for everyone but I found it magnetic. And it has THAT ending.

8. The Lives of Others
A very moving tale of a man finding the humanity in him which seemed to be lost

9. The Incredibles
Pixar's best non-Toy Story film in my opinion, and feels very different to their other films in many ways. Plus it's a huge blast

10. Elephant
I really liked this low-key depiction of a high school shooting, it steers clear of the usual formula, and there's a great feeling of dread throughout.

requiem for a dream
i can't remember if it was released in 2000 or 2001, but i'm counting it anyway. it tells its story in such an intriguing way, and it uses the score superbly. the strings music is chilling and a little bit epic at the same time. it's one of the few roles of jared leto's when i've enjoyed watching him act.

inception
it was mind-bending and truly amazing to watch. i would compare it to the matrix in the way it approached a new concept of reality, and it'll be spoofed, parodied and copied for years to come. i think the casting for every role was very well chosen. it's a bit of a shame that it was strongly over shadowed by the king's speech.

the lord of the rings trilogy
i'll count the entire trilogy, because i just can't see it as three separate films. if i'm going to watch one, i have to watch all three. it got the budget and the support that it deserved to turn it into a true cinematic epic. there have been very few trilogies ever that are as good as lord of the rings.

there will be blood
i can understand why people say it's a slow film, because in a way it is very slow paced, but for me that all adds to the effect. it feels like one big fantastic build up for the ending, which completely took me by surprise. i think it's one of my favourite performances by daniel day-lewis.

gangs of new york
maybe a controversial choice, but daniel day-lewis (again) gave a superb perforamce, alongside leonardo di caprio. i think it gives you a definite feel of perspective by the end.

moon
to tell such a brilliant story using only one cast member, and essentially one character, definitely makes it worthy of mention in my eyes. especially when you consider it was duncan jones' first film.

1. The Punisher
The older remake with John Travolta. Epic story of revenge.

2. The Illusionist
A lot of movies have oversimplified and dumbed down explanations for how characters influence or change things. This one doesn't.

3. The Chronicles of Riddick
I dont understand why a lot of people hate this movie. I think its awesome.

4. Hostel
Its like Saw, in terms of spawning a huge number of similar movies. The quality of the original is a bit unrivaled, imo. None of the clones nor sequels quite measure up to it.

5. Limitless
Its based on a scientific fallacy that says people only use 10% of their brains, but other than that its not too bad.

6. The Pirates of the Carribean Trilogy
Possibly the strongest series in the last 10 years aside from Fast / Furious.

7. Nearly every animated comic book based movie released over the past 10 years
Its like an extension of the batman cartoons.

All I can think of, right now. :ohshit:

Am I the only one that feels like there hasn't been THAT many good films out in the past 10 /11 years? don't get me wrong there are a few but not as many as the 80s or 90s. too name 10 that truly stood out for me however would have to be:

1. The Dark Knight - second in the movie reboot and it was Heath Ledgers Joker that made it one of the best films of the decade. Bale also does a fantastic job playing the role of Batman, but the Joker wins it for me.

2. Pirates of The Caribbean: Curse of The Black Pearl - The first movie was always the best and the sequels aren't too bad either in my opinion. Depp, Bloom and Knightley all played fantastic roles in the first movie and the plot was perfect as well.

3. Tangled - This film was truly amazing. one of my favorites of 2011, I love Disney films and rate The Lion King as the best movie of all time. Tangled closely follows it with a fantastic story and lovable characters, I really enjoy watching it.

4. The A-Team I loved the classic TV show and the cast from the movie done an amazing job of portraying their 80s show counter-parts.

5. Sherlock Holmes - The action in the movie plus Downey Jr. is what made this film brilliant, I don;t think it would of been as good with a British person playing Holmes.

Iron Man - The film that started it all, If it wasn't for this film being as awesome as it was there would not of been a Sequel, Thor, Captain America and next year the Avengers. This movie is the reason we are all excited for this movie next year.

Paul - Pegg and Fros and an Alien....... simple as!

Tron Legacy - I really enjoyed this film it had stunning visuals and Olivia Wilde is HOOOOOOOT

Fast and Furious anthology - not including Tokyo Drift these films are epic, they brought back car movies. the last great car film before these was bullit if you ask me. they really did revive the whole genre where the focus was not just the actors but the cars as well.

and that is all I can think of, granted there are sequels and prequels to the above mentioned films. but these are the ones that I felt made the 21st century so far, cannot wait for 2012!

Back