Too many guns?

Fran

Fantasy games shouldn't always revolve around medieval-type fighting or weaponry. Industrializing things in XIII might not work, but one measly trailer or two shouldn't be enough for anyone to make a full decision on the game, or its style.

Guns are merely a less-damaging form of catapult. Such weaponry was ultimately inevitable in any worls which grows, and shouldn't be left out of video games just because some people prefer flinging around a stupid sword or two. Guns are realistic. Using them is realistic. It's a logical weapon of choice in war (and other such instances which require a form of fighting), and shouldn't be put in the shadows.

Embrace the guns, because I doubt they'll do anything but turn up in more games.

Saix makes a very good point.

Guns are realistic. Using them is realistic. It's a logical weapon of choice in war (and other such instances which require a form of fighting), and shouldn't be put in the shadows.

Embrace the guns, because I doubt they'll do anything but turn up in more games.

While I'm sure you are right, using swords is also realistic. But now, using swords will only be in fantasy games. They will never again be used in war, and unless you find some special class you won't get to do an actual swordfight.
With guns these days, people can do as they please. That is, until they are thrown out the window and nuclear weapons are used.

yeah like a nuke missile weapon or something....

like barrets gun arm replaced with a missile launcher

its sacreligious to change ff from what it was based around

I don't mind gun as long as they are old-fashioned guns like Balthier's. If they start turning into Star Trek phasers and laser beams, THEN I'll be pissed.

While I'm sure you are right, using swords is also realistic. But now, using swords will only be in fantasy games. They will never again be used in war, and unless you find some special class you won't get to do an actual swordfight.
With guns these days, people can do as they please. That is, until they are thrown out the window and nuclear weapons are used.

I could've worded that better I guess, however I meant it being more real for 'now.' Although the worlds in these games aren't always in the same era of growth as we are, the developers are more likely to sway towards the use of gun-fighting. It'd be a shame to see the sword completely phase out of use, but I can't see it happening. Chances are there'll be a nice mix in future, rather than just sticking to either one or the other.

Grand_Lethal said:
If they start turning into Star Trek phasers and laser beams, THEN I'll be pissed.
I concur. The concept of using laser beams as weapons was appealing at the age of 10...

alright well here's my take on things. its called final FANTASY because its not realistic. its an unrealistic game set in an awesome world thats nothing like our own. when i turn on a final fantasy i expect to see magic and swords and guys with crazy hair...i dont wanna see something that looks like downtown new york city where everyones getting shot. the last thing i wanna see is something that just reminds of just how shitty and violent our world has become where you turn on the news and people are getting gunned down left and right. if i WANTED to play a game filled with guns and industry, i would buy grand theft auto, not final fantasy.

yeah square-enix loses more of the concept of ff the more guns are introduced and it all started with 7 and it has got more and more guns as we went along

alright well here's my take on things. its called final FANTASY because its not realistic.
In a lot of games, it is realistic. Not limiting that to the presence of guns, of course.
its an unrealistic game set in an awesome world thats nothing like our own.
Midgar, for example, could be considered an industrial town. There's nothing unrealistic about it.
when i turn on a final fantasy i expect to see magic and swords and guys with crazy hair...i dont wanna see something that looks like downtown new york city where everyones getting shot.
A general conception of the series. Everything has to evolve at some point, or it'll just get boring and lose its market.
the last thing i wanna see is something that just reminds of just how shitty and violent our world has become where you turn on the news and people are getting gunned down left and right.
Oh, and the wars which seem to be present in most FF games these days aren't violent? Right. :rolleyes:
if i WANTED to play a game filled with guns and industry, i would buy grand theft auto, not final fantasy.
It's unlikely that Final Fantasy will become one more than the other. Like I said previously: everything evolves in time.

My only gripe with XIII is that Squenix are trying too hard to make it a better VII. I don't like the fact that they're just trying to recreate the fandom and such, thus including everything that went down so well with VII, and VIII.

I don't mind guns in a Final Fantasy game. I mean, if they can have airships (something we've not achieved) and put them into a Fantasy setting (<3 IX's for that :P) then I'm all for guns ... just as long as they're not handheld gattling guns or lasers. I just prefer the "older" feel, like having a gun that was one of the first guns ever made.

But ... I can't help but feel that SE is trying too hard to make everything "cool". I mean, blade-switch-to-gun weapons, lots and lots of cool-looking technology, etc. I'd just prefer a more "vintage" feel, which I hope FFXIV (if we ever see it, probably not for a long while, with XIII being for a decade) goes back too. I want a pre-hardcore-technology-Fantasy game again T_T More of the later installments have been too sci-fi orientated for my tastes.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that FFXIII for me doesn't have "too many" guns, but they're just "too modern/futuristic" for my tastes ... then again, the whole game is ... I guess my rant is going nowhere :\ ...

i actually think that versus looks a lot less industry based. the main character is sitting inside of a castle and while there are guns, it still looks less industrialized than VII. im really baffled as to what to expect from the XIII series. i just want it to be a good game, guns or not.

the strangest thing of ff is how they get guns airships and lazers yet they dont have flushing toilets i mean the bare essensials if you please

I feel there are too many guns in Final Fantasy these days.

When I decided to buy a Wii instead of a PS3, one major factor holding me back was FFXIII. However, when I saw the trailer it put me off completely. Not a sword in sight, and too much new technology.

I'm now fully behind the Wii, because although I never played Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, the new trailer for FFCC:CB looks amazing.

What does everyone else think of this? Do you like all the guns or do you prefer hitting things?
I agree. I liked it when there was just simply fists and swords, and with the acception that one character or so used a gun a.k.a. Irvine. And it wasn't like a machine gun but a single shot rifle. Those are the kinds of weapons I like to see in games :)

i think guns and bows are just as good as swords..swords are always good but its nice to have a mixture like in ff12 did anyone actually have a party with all sword users? Guns are always really useful and the gunners can be stronger than swords in some cases...

This is my opinion about this matter, implementing guns in the game is a great idea because don't you think swords are getting played out. every Final Fantasy have swords but now there making a sword mix with a gun so i think it would be awesome for that mix.

Guns are pretty cool but I prefer the good ole' swords as well. It is alright to have guns in the game but I don't really want to see it become very modernized because I don't believe it would be as good then. Some of the games in the series seem very futuristic and such but it has touches of ancient/old style within the places and objects. For example, in Final Fantasy X they use a Chocobo or Shoopuf as their main transportation instead of a car which shows they are limited to certain things like in the olden days. Some of the places in Spira looked very futuristic as well which make it a nice mix. I believe they should keep it to that style because I enjoy it that way. Making this game just futuristic wouldn't interest me as much.

Like I said: guns are awesome but I wouldn't like to see the game filled with just that, I would love to see swords or perhaps a staff like in previous games so it can have that 'Final Fantasy' feel to it. :P I suppose they could test the futuristic world and everything but I don't know how people would like it.

Nooo

guns will ruin it......SWORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

leave guns to gta! >_<

The only gun I liked was the GunBlade. I see swords to be a big part of the Final Fantasy universe. The guns IMO just seem out of place.

I welcome a FF game full of guns. Dont get me wrong I love swords and think guns take away the whole fantasy thingy, but I think it will be a nice change.

You didn't see Lightning's weapon? She can turn it into a gun and a sword.I don't really mind the guns because I like both guns and swords.If you hate the idea of too many guns,maybe if you ever do play FFXIII,you could just keep the sword part of Lightning's weapon if the game has that option.I think you should play FFXIII even if you don't like that there's alot of guns.It is an FF title after all. ^_^

Last edited:
Back