Too many guns?

Golbez

dark sorcerer
Gil
I feel there are too many guns in Final Fantasy these days.

When I decided to buy a Wii instead of a PS3, one major factor holding me back was FFXIII. However, when I saw the trailer it put me off completely. Not a sword in sight, and too much new technology.

I'm now fully behind the Wii, because although I never played Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, the new trailer for FFCC:CB looks amazing.

What does everyone else think of this? Do you like all the guns or do you prefer hitting things?

I'm okay with the whole high-tech stuff, although I do prefer swords...gunblades, to be exact. Guns are cool too, but I believe that they are really weak compared to swords ((Final Fantasy XII, for instance.) And swords...well they're just classics. So I'm really sticking with gunblades here. A little bit of this and that.

i like plain old swords. im not a fan of making final fantasies all modern day or futuristic and whatnot, and thats probaby why my favorite final fantasy was IX.

I'm wondering if you meant FFVersusXIII? Well I don't see anything wrong with a few guns since their hasn't been many characters who use guns. Barret, Vincent, Squall (Sort of) Irvine and Balthier. I like to see a change in weapon for a protagonist rather than a sword as apart from FFIX and FFI, the protagonists usually have swords (or to start of with atleast).

EDIT: That's one thing I am liking about FFAgitoXIII is that the supposedly protagonist uses a deck of cards which would probably mean he is a Gambler type character and I think it is a good change from the usual cliche that the hero always has a kick ass sword. Too bad I probably won't even get this game.

Last edited:
Fran

I'm okay with the whole high-tech stuff, although I do prefer swords...gunblades, to be exact. Guns are cool too, but I believe that they are really weak compared to swords ((Final Fantasy XII, for instance.) And swords...well they're just classics. So I'm really sticking with gunblades here. A little bit of this and that.

In real life, guns can be more effective than swords if handled properly. FFXII messed up on this point, but I dunno, maybe those guns use musket balls or something. Whatever the case, the sound of a sword thwacking enemies...
*Sigh* you can't beat it...

Supposedly, her gun turns into a sword, which...like you said, it's still a put off. I'm not into industrial futuristic games.
Versus XIII does look like it's worth the wait though. While it's battle system is a HUGE put off...it does retain the original "oldschool" weapons and magic venue...apparently...

i like plain old swords. im not a fan of making final fantasies all modern day or futuristic and whatnot, and thats probaby why my favorite final fantasy was IX.

I absolutely love IX for the exact same reason. It was PURE, undiluted fantasy. It just fit the name Final Fantasy perfectly. Knights, kingdoms, kings, lords, mist powered airships, mages. It was beautiful because it didn't have anything modern and futuristic.

Hey, you're right Fran. o.0
Neither FFVI, VII, VIII, IX, or X had a bow.
I can't speak for the ones before; I haven't played them...

But a bow would be a nice weapon. ^_^

And archers are always handy as support characters; magic and distance fighters. Hopefully XIII doesn't throw the fantasy idea out the window...

you forget about ff5 and the hunter class all the characters have the potential to use bows

you forget about ff5 and the hunter class all the characters have the potential to use bows

There different. I was actually meaning the characters job is an archer. FFIII and FFV characters don't have a specific job since any character can be any job they can choose from.

Fantasy games shouldn't always revolve around medieval-type fighting or weaponry. Industrializing things in XIII might not work, but one measly trailer or two shouldn't be enough for anyone to make a full decision on the game, or its style.

Guns are merely a less-damaging form of catapult. Such weaponry was ultimately inevitable in any worls which grows, and shouldn't be left out of video games just because some people prefer flinging around a stupid sword or two. Guns are realistic. Using them is realistic. It's a logical weapon of choice in war (and other such instances which require a form of fighting), and shouldn't be put in the shadows.

Embrace the guns, because I doubt they'll do anything but turn up in more games.

guns were a useful weapon of war back in the olden days.....even churchill used a sword in war

what about ff11 are there any in that?

Yes, but of course like FFIII and FFV, there isn't any real character with a specific job (Considering the 'characters' are you and thousands of others.)

Also, I'm sure I saw a pick of a guy with a bow in FFAgitoXIII.

Back