Square Enix The Last Remnant

Who else is really looking forward to this game? The story looks epic, the characters look great, the music is great, and the battle system looks...interesting. We'll see.

November 20 release, 1 day after NXE.

I am. ^^ Good timing too, since I just got an XBox 360 today, and my first thought was, "YES, The Last Remnant!" I thought it looks really awesome and the battle system is quite epic. Naturally, I'm hoping for a good plot and storyline, but yes, we shall see about that.

-Threads Merged-

Definitely. It looks like a decent game. I really hope Square pulls through and delivers. The graphics are amazing, so let's just hope it plays well. Yay for 360 suki!

The Last Remnant comes out for the 360 first.

I am interested in getting the game. It comes out for the 360 first than the ps3 at a later date. Is anyone on here gettn it for the 360 since it comes out first?

I refuse to buy any non-FF RPG at launch, unless I've thoroughly researched it. So far this game hasn't really come out with a lot of information on gameplay. I think I'm going to wait for a review before actually picking it up. I just don't trust J-RPGs to be good anymore, unless it's an FF title.

EDIT: Fuck you, I'm backwards quoting...

However, Infinite Undiscovery looked fairly good and it received fairly poor ratings. So I'm waiting 'til ratings are given.

That's exactly my thoughts. I didn't pick up the game because it's a Tri-Ace/Square game and those are never that good. So even though it looked good, I saved my cash and watched the reviews. When they were bad, I knew I'd made a good decision. Amen to you my Canadian compadre!

It has always been coming out for the 360 first. :monster:

I doubt I'll get it when it first comes out, I'd rather wait for ratings even though it looks fairly good. However, Infinite Undiscovery looked fairly good and it received fairly poor ratings. So I'm waiting 'til ratings are given.

sorry if in wrong section...

Hey guys... sorry if this is in the wrong section (or shouldn't be on the forums anywhere) but as ff13 seems a very long way away i was thinking of substitute games...

http://na.square-enix.com/remnant/

The Last Remnant... Is this like the final fantasy's? If so does anyone know if it is worth getting? :randompoke:

again sorry if this is in the wrong section :zip:

Thread Moved ;)

Another game Ive never heard of so appoligies if Ive moved it to the wrong section :wacky:

Threads Merged.

Please check for existing threads on games before making a new one. Cheerioo.
vhappy.gif

EDIT: Sorry for the length. I promise none of what I discuss repeats itself and it is all pertinent information. It is worth a read, even if you have to take a bathroom break somewhere in the middle.

Introduction:
A new JRPG seems to be released every other month these days. The problem is that most of them are not very good. So RPG fans ask themselves, is this JRPG work their hard earned cash. While I think likability of this game heavily depends on taste, I would have to say it is one of the best non-Final Fantasy JRPGs I have played. This "review" is probably going to end up being more a description of the battle system than an actual review. Gameplay is the core of this game and it's pretty much personal preference whether you like it or not.

Gameplay Basics:
It is a little difficult to explain because in battle, there is both an individual and group factors that play into the successfulness of attacks. Fighters all have individual skills, strengths, and weaknesses, as they would in any normal RPG. The difference is that up to five fighters can be band together to form a squad, which is given orders as a whole in turn-based combat. During each turn of combat, squads are ordered different commands and can either attack different enemy squads or converge on one squad. As the game progresses, you can command more squads and more powerful fighters.

Gameplay Detailed:
To explain squads in more depth, let me use this example. If you were to recruit 3 mages and 2 warriors, you could form a single squad. You would not command the each individual unit during a turn but, for example, give a command to either attack normally, with physical skills, or with magic attacks. If the command was given to attack with magic, the mages would cast various spells while the warriors attacked normally. Alternatively, you could form two squads, one with 3 mages and one with 2 warriors, if you thought it best.

One of the key aspects of these squads is that each units HP and AP contribute to the squad as a whole. If Fighter 1 has 200 HP and Fighter 2 has 300 HP, their individual HPs would not be represented in battle. Instead Squad A, to which Fighters 1 & 2 belong, have a combine health of 500 HP. It is an extremely important concept to grasp in the game, as combining very skilled characters (typically with lower HP's) with a tank or two can allow them to survive in battle while they carry out their powerful attacks.

Battle Commands:
Let's talk battle commands for a second. In most RPGs, there is a set list of commands which typically include Attack, Magic, and Items... among other things. That is still the basic backbone of Last Remnant's fighting system but because each squad has multiple units, commands are not constant and change to reflect the battle as it progresses. For instance, when you start a battle the choices are typically "Attack, Attack with Physical Skills, Attack with Magic, and Standby". As the battle progresses and a squad loses health, new command options will become available such as "Keep your HP up" and "Full Heal Now!" which either issue one member to heal the party while everyone else attacks normally or has everyone heal until the party is at full health, respectively. It is important to note that after a battle, health and AP is automatically replenished so you can go from one battle to another without hesitation.

Game Flaws:
That should give you a basic understanding of the battle system. Now you need to understand a few flaws of the battle system. As Mitsuki had told me before I bought the game, the actual gameplay is very hands-off. You issue a command to each squad and then hit accept. Then the round plays out. You have almost no impact on battle after the commands have been issued. There is a "critical hit" timing game, like in Lost Odyssey, but since it occurs once out of every 10-15 hits, I set it to automatic and let the game do it for me. It even unlocked the achievement. It is a hassle to deal with. Each turn of combat is very heavily action oriented and with up to 25 characters attacking each turn, it gets very fast paced and exciting to watch. Often times I'd sit back and cheer on my team as I saw them deliver critical blows and defeat foes.

Equipment Management:
Because a key gameplay aspect of RPGs is equipment management and this game features many many managable characters, one might fear that more time is spent in menu's than in battles. This is not the case. In fact, for the most part, you are responsible for your equipment and no one elses. Sometimes at the end of a battle, characters will request certain components to upgrade their weapons. Sometimes if you have better weaponry left over, characters may ask you to give it to them. But you never have to worry about spending money or endless hours equipping other characters.

Leveling:
A similar concept is leveling. This is also done very well and is incredibly streamlined. At the end of a battle, your characters gain specific skills and attributes based on the skills and attributes they used during battle. For example, if I were to use mainly physical attacks, my strength and HP would raise frequently but not my magic spells. A very neat feature here is that the more battles you fight in a particular area, the faster you level. It's based around a concept called a "chain link". The chain link raises every battle you win within an area based on how effective you were in battle. When you fight your first battle in an area, none of your attributes may increase. However, if you manage to raise your chain link over 30, you're sure to raise multiple attributes per battle. I think my highest thus far has been 109, in which I was gaining an attribute and skill with at least half my characters at the end of every battle.

Other Features:
Now there are a variety of concepts I have not discussed yet, both big and small... but I think this gives you a general overview of the final product. Among some of the interesting game-relevant topics I did not mention were the usage of remnants (overdrive type commands) during battle, the ability to upgrade existing weapons FFVIII style or purchase new ones, the ability to sell items in bulk, save anywhere the menu can be accessed, and very respectable voice acting. The game also features very competent traveling companions. I had purchased a katana in one town and was traveling to another. When I entered the world map, one of my companions informed me that I was only an item or two away from being able to upgrade my newly purchased katana and suggested a map location where I could find the necessary ingredients.

Plot Commentary:
Also, since this is an RPG, the plot is solid but not very engaging. Your sister was kidnapped and you're looking for her. Along the way you discover a bunch of big baddies who's only crutch is they need to rely on a preteen girl for world domination. It's a little lame but it sets up some of the bigger plot concepts the game has to offer. In the end, the plot doesn't ever really disappoint but it's not Final Fantasy caliber. It does span 2 discs though and will take a long time to beat.

Conclusion:
I definitely recommend picking up this game. It's an excellent buy. It may not be for everyone but it is a game that is definitely done well. They took a very abstract concept that was very difficult to execute and boiled it down to a slick streamline machine that anyone can use. It's very impressive. I love it.

The Last Remnant has a great story as I know but Is the gameplay amazing even if its not I will still get this. I heard that if you pre order it you get bonuses. Is that right?

I really do like this game. I think someone is going to betray the main party though. I love Skye calling David "Dave", specially when the guy is a king lol! Coolio battle system, nice and different.

I like the fact of this game that Rush actuall cares for his family alot. Most square enix characters do not really care. Yeah about the last remnant what bonuses do you get if you pre order it?

The game looks amazing, but I'll wait till it's out on the PS3, as sadly I do not own an XBox 360 D=

It looks fantastic though, and I've heard nothing but good things, so it's one of the few games I'm genuinely really excited about ^^

The biggest problem I've encountered in this game is a weak plot. I just got to disc 2 but it's been pretty slow so far. For the most part, the first disc has been about rescuing your family and establishing the world and combat controls. The second disc has been much more about plot development and the Conquerer, who is awesome btw.

Yeah but how long is disc 1? Yeah aztec does it take long to get through the whole game because I really hope it is a very long game like the Final Fantasy's because I love long rpg games. What does the add on dlc do? Will there be other add ons? Also waht bonus feautures do you get for pre ordering it?

Back